Options

2006: post shooutout

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2005
    I'll drain my cap, too
    gluwater wrote:
    I'm seriously considering this. My problem is that I only get 2 weeks vacation a year, the post trip will really drain that. But it would probably be worth it. I'll let you know.
    But you're right - it WILL be worth it:-)
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2005
    My sister just got engaged over the weekend. Vacation time quickly dwindling. She wants a "destination wedding" better start saveing now. But I still want to go on the post-trip. Decisions decisions.......
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    Nik, is this still in the works? If so, I would be interested and can offer up a 4WD.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2005
    I'm in for this if it's still happening. Let me know.

Nick
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2005
    Post-shootout - news flash!
    OK, it seems that we're geeting the minimal quorum:
    1. Michiel
    2. Kudbegud
    3. Gluwater
    4. Dixie (has a car)
    5. Nik (me:)
    With this amount of people sharing local transportation/lodging expenses becomes possible. Also, it hopefully will be possible to accomodate a few (but only a few) late comers.

Now, the plot.

I'm planning to make the whole trip (including the official shootout) a two-week adventure. Meaning, the first - official - part ends Saturday night, and our, unofficial but nonethelss even more exciting post-shootout starts Sunday morning, lasts the whole next week and a half and ends the *next* Wednesday, most likely in LAs Vegas international airport.

Is everybody OK on the time?

If yes - please take time to specify your goals.
    I would ask you to split them in 3 lists: A, B and C.

A-list is basically a sine qua non one. If any of its goals is missing - it's no-go for you.

B-list constists of the goals which you think would greatly improve your (and our mutual) experience from the trip, but if, for some reason, any of its items confilts with somebody else's A target (or simply cannot be executed for whatever reason) it can be skipped without compromising your participation.

Finally, C-list consists of "would be nice to have, too" goals, which we would try to accomodate if the time, elements and gods of the deserts allow.

Please try to keep A and B lists (especially A list) as short as possible. Ten days is not enough to cover everything in UT and AZ, even though it's a totally magestic area..

I start with mine:

Nik:

A-list B-list C-list Guys - your thought?

Once we agree on A-lists (and hopefully on solid portions of B ones) I will start making schgedules and reservations. I will also ask for the funds, as far as my availalble reserves are reeeeeeeally scraping the bottom...

Hope to hear from ya'll soon!
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2005
    Bump - guys, we HAVE to act faster
    I'm waiting for your ABC lists...
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2005
    take your lists for me :D I've done some research on your links and I can really agree to it :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2005
    I have to agree with Michiel. I have never been there so I don't really know what I want to see and what I "have" to see. I'm really interested in Antelope and Arches. So I guess my list would mirror yours. I think the Lake Powel Houseboat trip is a great idea also. We just printed some posters at work of Antelope and everytime I walk past them I think of the trip.

Thanks for getting all this great info together Nik.

Nick
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2005
    OK, three lists are down for 3 people
    Kudbegud, Dixie - your thoughts? Are you OK on time and on lists?
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2005
    What?? No Females Going ??
    Nikolai wrote:
    Kudbegud, Dixie - your thoughts? Are you OK on time and on lists?
    Hmmmmmm so you've only got 5 guys so far is that right?
    Awwwwww surely there's got to be another female who wants to go?? eek7.gif
    I wanna go but don't want to be the only female.
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2005
    Maxine,
    Skippy wrote:
    Skippy (Australia)
    You're more than welcome to join us if you want to. I would join 5 females on a trip like that in a heartbeat:D
    Seriously, we're all goog guys, what's to be afraid of? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Skippy (Australia)
    I'm trying to get in touch with my feminine side, does that help? rolleyes1.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    i've had some dsl problems, back on...for now ne_nau.gif

a list: yours looks good
    i'll have a car too. would we be staying in page az. while doing the other places on this list? i have contacted a hotel and jeep guide for antelope...we can have a block of rooms and a private longer jeep tour to antelope if we have enough people.

b/c list: could be burned out by this time mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2005
    Cool!
    kudbegud wrote:
    i've had some dsl problems, back on...for now ne_nau.gif

a list: yours looks good
    i'll have a car too. would we be staying in page az. while doing the other places on this list? i have contacted a hotel and jeep guide for antelope...we can have a block of rooms and a private longer jeep tour to antelope if we have enough people.

b/c list: could be burned out by this time mwink.gif
    Awesome, two cars already..thumb.gif
    How many ppl is "enough" to get that longer toor on Antelope?
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2005
    nik-
    its a 2 ½ hour photographers tour, leaves at 11:30, 12 max. so if we are a lot under 12 we may have to share depending the reservations they get.

ps....did you get the emails i sent a couple weeks ago?
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2005
    I see
    kudbegud wrote:
    nik-
    its a 2 ½ hour photographers tour, leaves at 11:30, 12 max. so if we are a lot under 12 we may have to share depending the reservations they get.

ps....did you get the emails i sent a couple weeks ago?
    I didn't think 2.5 hours is enough for all of us, but.. maybe it's just a small canyon..ne_nau.gif

Email with rates on motes and houseboats? Yeah, I got it, thx..
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2005
    the normal tour of antelope is 1½ hours...the extended tour is 2 hours at the canyon.

heres the link: http://www.antelopecanyon.com/extended_tour.html
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2005
    I see
    kudbegud wrote:
    the normal tour of antelope is 1½ hours...the extended tour is 2 hours at the canyon.

heres the link: http://www.antelopecanyon.com/extended_tour.html
    Thanks for scouting!

Dixie, Skippy - we're waiting for your lists/thoughts/etc.
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2005
    Lets not forget!!!!!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2005
    Yeah, mon!
    Lets not forget!!!!!
    I guess I need to start making reservations now, even for those us few who have already packed thier bags and are ready to empty their wallets.

And those who are weak in their hearts would have stay behind and weep.
    Keep to the code! :fish
  • Options
    awfulsaraawfulsara Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited September 27, 2005
    hmmm...
    Well hallo :)

So where's this stand?? I'm thinking about heading out that way (have already been to Zion but love it madly) in the spring and might well coordinate my trip with the "workshop" and thusly, your offshoot as well.

Money is tight. I do much more campin than hotellin, so I'd need to know how much my expenses would be before I can start sending moolah about. (Have gotten burned on such things in the past by costs doubling once I was out there due to poor planning or people backing out, and can't do that again.)

Lemme know what's up! I'd likely be driving out from California in my Subaru (I seriously crave independence when shooting) but the RV thang sounds like a blast. Home base with some mobile vehicles would be ideal.

And I'm a wo-man.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    awfulsara wrote:
    And I'm a wo-man.

we have several of your ilk signed up for the trip already :D
  • Options
    Hello then!:-)
    awfulsara wrote:
    Well hallo :)

So where's this stand?? I'm thinking about heading out that way (have already been to Zion but love it madly) in the spring and might well coordinate my trip with the "workshop" and thusly, your offshoot as well.

Money is tight. I do much more campin than hotellin, so I'd need to know how much my expenses would be before I can start sending moolah about. (Have gotten burned on such things in the past by costs doubling once I was out there due to poor planning or people backing out, and can't do that again.)

Lemme know what's up! I'd likely be driving out from California in my Subaru (I seriously crave independence when shooting) but the RV thang sounds like a blast. Home base with some mobile vehicles would be ideal.

And I'm a wo-man.
    OK, currently we have the following status:
    1. Michiel (Netherlands)
    2. Kudbegud
    3. Gluwater
    4. Dixie (has a car)
    6. Skippy (Oz) - tentative
    7. AwfulSara - tentative
    This, actually, gives us enough people to do both the boat thingie and the RV thingie (with a couple of extra 4wd vehicles tagging along for "mobility").

The biggest issue is that some of us prefer more civilized lodging, while the other would prefere much less expensive and much more romantic/adventure-like camping by the fire (or at least boat/RV sleeping facilities).
    I'm not sure if we can always find places that would feature both motels and RV camps located nearby.

However, we're going to discuss it in more details with Kudbegud and then come out with more precise plans/options.

Link to the existing plans: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=155608&postcount=36

Cheers!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    awfulsara wrote:
    And I'm a wo-man.

Wo.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2005
    Hey I Made it Back to Oz
    Hi there...........well I made it home after 7 weeks in USA :):
    I would still like to go with you folks for the post trip, but I have a little itty bitty problem :D I will be stretching this trip out to around 7-8 weeks where I will spend most of my time in OHIO.......and this means I will have heaps of luggage rolleyes1.gif ha ha ha..... as do most women :D

What I need to figure out is where to start and finish this trip.
    I know my longest flight will be from Australia to LA, and I know that the changing time zones thing will knock me around as it usually does for several days.

So I guess what I need to know is exactly where is it that you plan on starting and finishing the post trip??? cause I need to end up in OHIO :D

I don't have a problem with camping, but there is no way I can pack camping gear as part of my luggage, and I don't mind hotels either as long as it's not tooooooo expensive..........I'm flexible.

I'd like the expense kept down a bit as the airfares alone for me is already going to be over $3,500 and thats not including any kind of accommodation.

Thank you for the message Nik, and please keep me posted if you think I have not seen any messages..........these next few weeks I will not be around the forum much at all due to work commitments with the actual "Go-Live" date for our new computer system happening this weekend.

Things should be back to normal for me in about 2 weeks time, but until the system is working properly I will required to work till all ungodly hours of the day, night, and morning....... ohhh what fun "NOT!!"

Skippy (Australia)

Nikolai wrote:
    OK, currently we have the following status:
    1. Michiel (Netherlands)
    2. Kudbegud
    3. Gluwater
    4. Dixie (has a car)
    6. Skippy (Oz) - tentative
    7. AwfulSara - tentative
    This, actually, gives us enough people to do both the boat thingie and the RV thingie (with a couple of extra 4wd vehicles tagging along for "mobility").

The biggest issue is that some of us prefer more civilized lodging, while the other would prefere much less expensive and much more romantic/adventure-like camping by the fire (or at least boat/RV sleeping facilities).
    I'm not sure if we can always find places that would feature both motels and RV camps located nearby.

However, we're going to discuss it in more details with Kudbegud and then come out with more precise plans/options.

Link to the existing plans: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=155608&postcount=36

Cheers!
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2005
    Trip Update
    We had a nice phone conversation with Kudbegud the other day. We laid out a sketch for the trip and now are doing more detailed research. Once we have some solid details (hopefully very soon) we'll publish the trip plans.

In the mean time:
    Those who already subscribed - please start getting your funds ready.mwink.gif We don't have exact numbers yet, but you can imagine that 10 days travel-tour intensive trip can not possible be free:-). I'd say $100/day is a good ballpark, hopefully less. If more people sings up - it'll be cheaper..:-)

Those who not - due to the various reasons the team size is absolutely limited by 12 (twelve) people. It may even go down to 11 (eleven)..ne_nau.gif

Thus far we have 5 solid entrees and 2 tentatives (Skippy, AwfulSara: ladies, make up your minds!:-).

You still have a chance to reserve your place, otherwise you'd have to rely on somebody's falling off..

More l8r
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2005
    Draft #1
    Kudbegud suggested that 10 extra days Kud Be Too Gud (in his own words, "you would need another vacation after this one").
    So inasmuch I'd love to take the lake trip, it seems to be an overkill both financially and logistically. So we trimmed our appetite, made it 7 days long (flying out Sunday May 28th from Las Vegas, NV) and soil-only.

Here is Da Plan:
    (Kudbegud did all the research work, I only PS-ed the path on the map:-)

38763341-L.jpg
    Official Smugmug Shootout (for the reference)
    Day 1 Wednesday, May 17, 2006 Bryce
    Day 2 Thursday, May 18, 2006 Bryce
    Day 3 Friday, May 19, 2006 Zion
    Day 4 Saturday, May 20, 2006 Zion (half moon)
    << Post shootout >>
    : Day 5 Sunday, May 21, 2006
    Drive to Page, AZ. Meet at a camp/motel.
    It should be possible to rent an RV in St.George, UT, which is only couple of hours or less from Zion. Since it's a decent airport, it should be also possible to rent one way to or from Las Vegas.
    from St.George ot Page it's 156 miles (4 hours)
    Still plenty of time to get around LakePowell and have some rest.
    : Day 6 Monday, May 22, 2006
    Sunrise?
    Antelope canyon trip clap.gif (12 ppl max!), starts 11 am
    Rest of the day - have fun around lake Powel, prolly try to have some sunset shots, or moonlight on the water since the moon should be still bright enough
    : Day 7 Tuesday, May 23, 2006
    Try sunrise on the lake:-)
    Breakfast
    Drive to Monument Valleyiloveyou.gif
    http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/monument_valley/index.html
    It's about 100 miles, should be done in 2 hours. Checkin to some motel/camp, shoot/drive around. Try to find a good spot for sunset and for moonlight, have dinner, shoot moonview, go sleep
    : Day 8 Wednesday, May 24, 2006
    Try sunrise.
    Breakfast.
    Short drive to Mexican Hat: 15-20 miles
    http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/mexican_hat/index.html
    Try Valley of gods near by (10 miles)
    http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/mexican_hat/valley_of_the_gods.html
    Proceed to Natural Bridges: about 40 miles
    http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/natural_bridges/national_monument.html
    Stay overnight, do some shooting
    : Day 9 Thursday, May 25, 2006
    Morning shooting if possible.
    Proceed to Canyonlands - about 60-70 miles
    http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/canyonlands/national_park.html
    Shoot around
    : Day 10 Friday, May 26, 2006
    Proceed to Archesclap.gif , which is about another 60-70 miles.
    Shoot our cards out
    : Day 11 Saturday, May 27, 2006 (new moon)
    "Drive, baby, drive"
    Get some morning shot - and go back.
    341 miles from Moab to St.George (6-7 hours)
    turn back RV, get something smaller
    119 miles to LV (2 hours)
    Night on the town beer.gif (but we need to start early boys and girls to get to LV early enough)
    : Day 12 Sunday, May 28, 2006
    Some rest (nothing to shoot in the morning except some crack:-), some nice breakfast in one of the famous LV's buffees - and then - whenever your flight is...

Driving Distances:
    http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/driving_distances.html
    Bryce- Zion: 91 mile
    Zion - Page: 119 miles (could be a bit longer if going through St.George)
    Page - Monument Valley: 99 miles
    Monument valley - Natural Bridges: 66 miles
    Natural Bridges - Canyonlands: about 60-70 miles
    CL - Arches: about 60-70 mile
    Arches - St.George: 341 miles
    St. George - Las Vegas 119 miles

As you can see, this plot is essentially a huge CCW loop with a one-way leg to Las Vegas.

What is needed currently:
    * Would you prefer to ride in RV or in a car/suv?
    * Would you prefer to stay in RV (or tent or two next to it) or a motel/hotel?

I can get some extra camping gear. I also think it's possible to rent some in St.George/Page. but that's needed to be verified.

We need to start making final calls to come out with the approximate amount of $$ needed. Once we are settled (hopefully within next week), I'll start asking for the transfers..ne_nau.gif

Please confirm asap!

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2005
    Flight info
    I checked flights from LAX to Las Vegas and back.
    Departure morning Wed 17, return afternoon Sunday May 28:
    from $123 to $155 roundtrip. Thus far plenty of flights and seats.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2005
    I have no complaints so far. You guys are doing a great job planning this so I give you props. I actually think the slightly shortened trip works out better for me anyways. As for your questions:

I have no preference on driving in a RV/car/SUV/tie me to the hood, well as long as it's not raining.

Sleep accomodations - I could sleep in a tent but don't have to. If we could save some driving time I would gladly sleep in a tent. But we should probably get a hotel/motel at some point along the way for showers and such.

Another thing to consider is food. Are we going to be eating out every meal or are we going to have to stop and pick up groceries along the way. If we do need to stop, where are grocery stores out there? I have never been there so I don't know, thought it may be something to consider though.

I'm going to Mackinaw Island in the morning with Dragon300zx, Pathfinder and his wife so I won't be on here till Monday. Talk to ya then.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2005
    RV, etc
    gluwater wrote:
    As for your questions:

Sleep accomodations - I could sleep in a tent but don't have to. If we could save some driving time I would gladly sleep in a tent. But we should probably get a hotel/motel at some point along the way for showers and such.
    With RV we will ALWAYS have shower, fridge, oven, microwave, TV, even power for your laptops, so you can post-process while driving..:-)
    Another thing to consider is food. Are we going to be eating out every meal or are we going to have to stop and pick up groceries along the way. If we do need to stop, where are grocery stores out there? I have never been there so I don't know, thought it may be something to consider though.
    Since we gonna have a full-size fridge in RV, this is not a problem. I am only afraid it will be mostly used for keeping the beer cool:-)
    I'm going to Mackinaw Island in the morning with Dragon300zx, Pathfinder and his wife so I won't be on here till Monday. Talk to ya then.
    Have fun, and share some pikchas!thumb.gif