Options

Shooting Data appears in Captions?

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited March 30, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Sometimes, and only sometimes, when I upload photos processed in Adobe Photoshop CS2 the shoolting data automatically appears in the Caption for those photos. I don't think that I am doing anything differently, but obviously I am.
Can anyone help me with what is going on here?

By the way, I think that SMUGMUG is great!!! What a treat!

This is my first post and I sure hope that I haven't done anything dumb or stupid here! Thanks for all of the help I can get

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2005
    eworley wrote:
    Sometimes, and only sometimes, when I upload photos processed in Adobe Photoshop CS2 the shoolting data automatically appears in the Caption for those photos. I don't think that I am doing anything differently, but obviously I am.
    Can anyone help me with what is going on here?

By the way, I think that SMUGMUG is great!!! What a treat!

This is my first post and I sure hope that I haven't done anything dumb or stupid here! Thanks for all of the help I can get

normally, it doesn't do that.
    workflow, exactly, please - when it happens?
  • Options
    andy wrote:
    normally, it doesn't do that.
    workflow, exactly, please - when it happens?

Ok, thanks for taking the time with me!
    • Using a Nikon D70 took the picture in Raw mode
    • Opened pic in Camera Raw(PhotoShop CS2) and coverted to jpeg 16 bt
    • Did some editing and cropping in Photoshop CS2
    • Uploaded to SmugMug using the supplied program for Mac

Now this is the same workflow that I used for other pics, so there must be something that I did differently, but I don't know what to look for to try to figure out.

Caption with shooting data

Caption without shooting data

Thanks for your time!
  • Options
    eworley wrote:
    Ok, thanks for taking the time with me!
    • Using a Nikon D70 took the picture in Raw mode
    • Opened pic in Camera Raw(PhotoShop CS2) and coverted to jpeg 16 bt
    • Did some editing and cropping in Photoshop CS2
    • Uploaded to SmugMug using the supplied program for Mac

Now this is the same workflow that I used for other pics, so there must be something that I did differently, but I don't know what to look for to try to figure out.

Caption with shooting data

Caption without shooting data

Thanks for your time!

that's very odd. thanks for reporting it. i'm going to pass it to smugmug help for you. it does not sound like a smugmug issue, but hey, you never know.... it is very odd.

btw: jpg is only 8 bit....

oh yeah, which uploader were you using? ear.gif
  • Options
    andy wrote:
    that's very odd. thanks for reporting it. i'm going to pass it to smugmug help for you. it does not sound like a smugmug issue, but hey, you never know.... it is very odd.

btw: jpg is only 8 bit....

oh yeah, which uploader were you using? ear.gif
    Thanks for looking.

As far as jpg being only 8 bits, I think that is basically correct. But I convert in Adobe Camera Raw from a *.NEF file to a 16 bit data file that has a .jpg extension. Then in Photoshop CS2 I convert this *.jpg to an 8 bit file after applying mods and enhancemnts. Then it is save by Photoshop in an 8 bit jpg file. I am not an expert in jpg and jpeg stuff, but that is the essence of what I do with raw files in .NEF format

I am using the smugmug uploader for the Mac.

Have a good day and thanks for at least looking.
  • Options
    rfreschnerrfreschner Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    I'm guessing that you have the option turned on to show extra camera info turned on for your gallery (I believe it's the default). Since these pictures are taken with two different cameras (Nikon D70 and Canon Powershot S110), the metadata they provide to PS CS2 is probably different. There also is the possibility that you lost some of your metadata depending on what you did with the file in CS2, such as "Save For Web".
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    Hi eworley and welcome!

I'm sorry you ran into this problem. I looked at your photos (great shots) and one thing before I forget: they're in the Adobe 98 color space, which unfortunately cannot display correctly on the Internet. You can convert them to sRGB in CS2 with the Edit > Mode > Convert to profile option (assigning a profile won't do it).

Here's why it needs to be in sRGB.

The EXIF data you see in the caption was placed in the IPTC caption field. We read that field and use the information in it as your caption, which is what people want 99% of the time.

My guess is these photos have passed through Nikon Capture software, which did the dirty deed. You can search on Google for Nikon Capture IPTC and find various references to bugs in it.

By the way, just to keep us on our toes, CS refers to the IPTC Caption field as File > Info > Description.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    Baldy wrote:
    Hi eworley and welcome!

I'm sorry you ran into this problem. I looked at your photos (great shots) and one thing before I forget: they're in the Adobe 98 color space, which unfortunately cannot display correctly on the Internet. You can convert them to sRGB in CS2 with the Edit > Mode > Convert to profile option (assigning a profile won't do it).

Here's why it needs to be in sRGB.

The EXIF data you see in the caption was placed in the IPTC caption field. We read that field and use the information in it as your caption, which is what people want 99% of the time.

My guess is these photos have passed through Nikon Capture software, which did the dirty deed. You can search on Google for Nikon Capture IPTC and find various references to bugs in it.

By the way, just to keep us on our toes, CS refers to the IPTC Caption field as File > Info > Description.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Yes, thanks very much! I will go and do some spade work as you suggest.

I would like to add that this is agreat site! I love it.
  • Options
    MickyMicky Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2006
    Change Nikon View Settings...
    eworley wrote:
    Yes, thanks very much! I will go and do some spade work as you suggest.

I would like to add that this is agreat site! I love it.

As a final solution to this problem, I have found that you can change the settings in Nikon View (Transfer) to NOT put the Shooting Data in the IPTC Caption field when you copy your pix from the card (or camera) to your computer. The setting is in the Nikon Transfer options, NOT in Nikon View.

When you open Nikon Transfer to transfer your files, choose the OPTIONS button (looks like a wrench or hammer or something...) in the top right of the small Transfer screen, and UNCHECK the option to add the IPTC data to the caption field. Took me 30 minutes to find this obscure setting, AFTER I made the mistake of uploading 223 pix to SmugMug...

To fix the files I uploaded AFTER I uploaded them, I went to the Batch gallery editing tool and told it to EMPTY the caption field of all the pix.

Nice to have tools to fix newbie mistakes...

Micky - K1XH
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    Micky wrote:
    Nice to have tools to fix newbie mistakes...

Micky - K1XH

wave.gif Hi Micky, thanks for the tips!