Options

SmugImport - import SmugMug albums into Facebook

frogcakefrogcake Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
We all know photos look about a bajillion times better on SmugMug than they do on Facebook but there are some advantages to having them on Facebook as well. In the past this has meant uploading each photo twice; once into SmugMug and then again into Facebook. That’s a pain, even with a pretty fast connection.

While you can post links to your SmugMug galleries on Facebook I wanted to be able to import them into their own Facebook albums so I wrote a Facebook application to do it.

SmugImport allows you to import your galleries from SmugMug directly into Facebook. To use it, just search Facebook for "SmugImport" or go to http://apps.facebook.com/smugimport/.

At the moment it only works with public SmugMug galleries but I plan to add support for private galleries in the near future.

Any questions, comments or suggestions welcome!

David

Comments

• Options
    kdizzkdizz Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Looks like a great app! Does it automatically import new additions to the gallery you've selected?
    frogcake wrote:
    We all know photos look about a bajillion times better on SmugMug than they do on Facebook but there are some advantages to having them on Facebook as well. In the past this has meant uploading each photo twice; once into SmugMug and then again into Facebook. That’s a pain, even with a pretty fast connection.

While you can post links to your SmugMug galleries on Facebook I wanted to be able to import them into their own Facebook albums so I wrote a Facebook application to do it.

SmugImport allows you to import your galleries from SmugMug directly into Facebook. To use it, just search Facebook for "SmugImport" or go to http://apps.facebook.com/smugimport/.

At the moment it only works with public SmugMug galleries but I plan to add support for private galleries in the near future.

David
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2010
    kdizz wrote:
    Looks like a great app! Does it automatically import new additions to the gallery you've selected?

There is no syncing feature at the moment but it's a good idea! I'll look into it.
  • Options
    pernetoperneto Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 25, 2010
    Problem with login
    Hi, thanks for making this, it's exactly what I've been looking for!
    Unfortunately, it's not working for me at the moment.

I installed the application, entered my SmugMug username, and... nothing, I get a "Settings updated." message, but the application keeps asking for my username.

Is this a known bug?
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2010
    perneto wrote:
    Hi, thanks for making this, it's exactly what I've been looking for!
    Unfortunately, it's not working for me at the moment.

I installed the application, entered my SmugMug username, and... nothing, I get a "Settings updated." message, but the application keeps asking for my username.

Is this a known bug?
    No. I just tested it and it woks fine for me. There was some SmugMug maintenance last night which may have affected things (http://status.blogs.smugmug.com/2010/03/25/032410-scheduled-maintenance/).

Is it still a problem for you? If so, what web browser are you using?
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2010
    New release
    I've just released a new version of SmugImport that fixes an issue some people were experiencing when saving their SmugMug nickname.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    jdoeringjdoering Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 11, 2010
    I love your app! Looking forward to unlisted gallery support (pasting the URL rather than automatic enumeration would be fine).

How about video support? I'd like to continue keeping smugmug as my first-class storage option but I don't mind syncing all of my content to Facebook for the full friend integration there. But uploading twice from my computer is slow; it would be nice to pull it into facebook straight from smugmug.

-Jeff
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2010
    jdoering wrote:
    I love your app! Looking forward to unlisted gallery support (pasting the URL rather than automatic enumeration would be fine).

How about video support? I'd like to continue keeping smugmug as my first-class storage option but I don't mind syncing all of my content to Facebook for the full friend integration there. But uploading twice from my computer is slow; it would be nice to pull it into facebook straight from smugmug.

-Jeff

Glad you are finding it useful!

Video support is an interesting idea. I'll look into it.

David
  • Options
    sarahcsarahc Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 3, 2010
    frogcake wrote: »

David

Genius!! This is a brilliant app. Thanks so much for creating it. You've made my life so much easier.

Sarah
  • Options
    ddBigShootsddBigShoots Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2010
    surprised no one has mentioned Carolyn Wright by now...

http://www.photoattorney.com/
  • Options
    astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    Anyway we could make this work where it can import photos into a FB business page, linked to my individual profile. I don't really care if my work is on my personal page, but it would be nice to integrate this into my FB business page.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2010
    I've had this idea for a while now, so kudos on making the app. :D

Does this not work on a business page?
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    Captain TurnipCaptain Turnip Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    I'm getting the following when I try:

An error occurred

Application error
  • Options
    waldenwestwaldenwest Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 17, 2010
    Yeah, I get the same error. I can't install the application.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2010
    New release!
    A new version of SmugImport has been released. This version:
    • Fixes an issue some people were having saving their nickname when adding the application for the first time.
    • Increases the size of the imported photos to Facebook's maxium size.
    Sorry it took a while to fix the problem. I'm meant to be subscribed to this thread but for some reason I didn't get notified of any new posts. I'll have to check back more often!

David
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2010
    astockwell wrote: »
    Anyway we could make this work where it can import photos into a FB business page, linked to my individual profile. I don't really care if my work is on my personal page, but it would be nice to integrate this into my FB business page.

This is something a few people have asked for and I would like to support it however last time I checked (a couple of months ago) this was not supported by the Facebook API.

Facebook have made quite a few changes recently so I will look into this possibility again.

David
  • Options
    NicciNicci Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    Hmmmmmm....am I correct in seeing that anyone can import anyone else's SmugMug photos to their facebook?

All they need is their username?
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2010
    Yes, that is correct.
  • Options
    shewholaughsshewholaughs Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    facebook galleries
    Maybe I'm in the wrong place for this. If so, please guide me to the right place.

I deal primarily with brides who are VERY tech savvy. They want digital discs, which I'm glad to give them. However, i recently saw a photog had imbedded his copyright to show in the caption space of the facebook galleries of his brides. This would be perfect for me! is there anything that anyone knows about how to manage this? Something in the meta data perhaps? I realize the bride could simply click and delete my copyright caption, but chances are they're not going to bother on 1000+ images.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    sarahcsarahc Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited July 3, 2011
    Hi,

I use SmugImport all the time, but today it seems to have disappeared from Facebook. Any idea what happened? I'm lost without a Facebook import app!
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2011
    Unfortunately Facebook decided to ban the SmugImport app. Here is the reason that was given:

"To help keep Platform policies simple while delivering great Platform experiences to users, our automated systems remove apps providing poor user experiences. Our systems use a variety of signals to assess user experience, such as user feedback on an app's communications (Stream stories, etc.) and on the app itself."

It seems that Facebook recently made changes to it's automated 'ban bot' which has now shut down many many legitimate apps that have many happy users. Here is an article on TechCrunch about it: http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/25/facebooks-ban-bot-leaves-some-developers-baffled-and-angry/

No explanation was given as to why they thought SmugImport provided a poor user experience. I know a number of people find it quite useful.

I am now considering whether to relaunch the app (which will have to be at a different Facebook URL as I'm not allowed to reuse the existing one) or just give up on the whole Facebook platform completely.

I don't make any money from this app and developing for the Facebook platform is really painful. You never know when a change Facebook makes will cause your app to stop working.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    Unfortunately Facebook decided to ban the SmugImport app. Here is the reason that was given:

"To help keep Platform policies simple while delivering great Platform experiences to users, our automated systems remove apps providing poor user experiences. Our systems use a variety of signals to assess user experience, such as user feedback on an app's communications (Stream stories, etc.) and on the app itself."

It seems that Facebook recently made changes to it's automated 'ban bot' which has now shut down many many legitimate apps that have many happy users. Here is an article on TechCrunch about it: http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/25/facebooks-ban-bot-leaves-some-developers-baffled-and-angry/

No explanation was given as to why they thought SmugImport provided a poor user experience. I know a number of people find it quite useful.

I am now considering whether to relaunch the app (which will have to be at a different Facebook URL as I'm not allowed to reuse the existing one) or just give up on the whole Facebook platform completely.

I don't make any money from this app and developing for the Facebook platform is really painful. You never know when a change Facebook makes will cause your app to stop working.
    What a terrible experience. :( FB is starting to really shoot themselves in the foot. The next few years will definitely be interesting.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    Unfortunately Facebook decided to ban the SmugImport app.

This stinks! Good job on this app. though.
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    xenodiumxenodium Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2011

I share your frustration. I had the exact same experience with photo smuggler. Facebook randomly deleted it. Was a real pain to restore it.
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2012
    I was sorry to find this app is gone. Is there any other option/app to publish albums on FB now?
  • Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2012
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    I was sorry to find this app is gone. Is there any other option/app to publish albums on FB now?

Have you tried Smugmug's?

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1686335&postcount=1
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site