Options

Google +1?

SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
edited September 5, 2011 in SmugMug Support
I've noticed a lot of buzz (no pun intended) around this new feature from Google. Are there any plans for SM to implement it alongside the fb and tweet buttons?
Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    Give us some time, Samir, thanks thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Give us some time, Samir, thanks thumb.gif
    So I take you guys are evaluating this for possible inclusion? headscratch.gif

I've been reading a bit about people taking a wait and see position versus an immediate implementation, and was wondering what SM's strategy is, if it's possible to post it. thumb.gif.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2011
    Samir, I carefully said nothing if you read between the lines lol3.gif
    we'll have something to say, well, when we have something to say, thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2011
    An initial 'No comment' would've been a quicker and more straightforward answer. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    ... I carefully said nothing if you read between the lines lol3.gif.....
    You are very good at that. :Drolleyes1.gif
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    Samir, I carefully said nothing if you read between the lines lol3.gif

That is a great one. I gotta remember that.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    I'll +1 the desire to see this added in to smugmug like how facebook like button is, but fully acknowledge you need time to assess and determine the best next step (implementation or not) :)
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2011
    PHOTOK wrote: »
    You can easily implement this yourself as I have done. Take a look at the footer in my site.

clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2011
    You can easily implement this yourself as I have done. Take a look at the footer in my site.
    I could do that, but I'd rather see it next to the other buttons if it's going to be implemented for uniformity. That's the way other sites have implemented it.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2011
    You can do it either way. I chose to put it in the footer so it applies to the entire site.

But you can also write some Javascript to add it to the Twitter, Facebook, etc buttons below the picture box.

This is similar to what I did in my breadcrumbs. I added an RSS feed button and a bookmark button in the breadcrumbs that is specific to the gallery displayed. All done with JS (and help from jfriend on these forums).

To view: Go to my site. Choose Galleries > Athletes. Choose an athlete in the list. Notice the RSS and bookmark button in the breadcrumbs. They are dynamically built at run-time and are specific to the athlete gallery being viewed.

You can do the same thing for a photo and the +1 button.
    I don't have time (or skill) to write the javascript. And with the upcoming style changes, that's just going to be one more thing that will break, so if SM implements it, great. If not, I'll worry about it later. It seems to be catching on quite fast though.
  • Options
    Luc De JaegerLuc De Jaeger Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    I don't have time (or skill) to write the javascript. And with the upcoming style changes, that's just going to be one more thing that will break, so if SM implements it, great. If not, I'll worry about it later. It seems to be catching on quite fast though.

It's up to SmugMug to implement it or not. I've read mixed opinions about the +1 button. Some e-marketing advisors are not sure this feature will survive and be able to compete with the Facebook (FB) like and share buttons. The relationship between the +1 button and Google search is yet not clear because the +1 button can be "manipulated."

Most businesses add the button in case.... even if it's yet unsure how and if the public will use the button.

Google+ is likely to be of more importance when it will be launched -- won't be long (we are anxiously waiting for the roll-out of their G+ business pages too). It's becoming clear that FB will get some huge competition because G+ seems to have some very nice and very welcome features. Social media is in full revolution....

Luc
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2011
    It's up to SmugMug to implement it or not. I've read mixed opinions about the +1 button. Some e-marketing advisors are not sure this feature will survive and be able to compete with the Facebook (FB) like and share buttons. The relationship between the +1 button and Google search is yet not clear because the +1 button can be "manipulated."

Most businesses add the button in case.... even if it's yet unsure how and if the public will use the button.

Google+ is likely to be of more importance when it will be launched -- won't be long (we are anxiously waiting for the roll-out of their G+ business pages too). It's becoming clear that FB will get some huge competition because G+ seems to have some very nice and very welcome features. Social media is in full revolution....

Luc
    Yep, great assessment of the situation. thumb.gif The war over control of the Internet is in full swing now...rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    Yep, great assessment of the situation. thumb.gif The war over control of the Internet is in full swing now...rolleyes1.gif
    I'm for anything that helps balance out Facebook's continuous pull of information off the public internet. Somehow that doesn't feel like it's good for the consumer because there is no open competition within the Facebook world the way there is on the internet. I'm hoping that Google has some success with +1 and with Google+.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2011
    I said this to my father back in the mid-1990s--"This is the information age. And whoever controls the information, controls the age." It's no different than the other ages like the Bronze age, except that one entity can effectively control almost all the information in the world, and hence control the entire world. China is taking a pretty strong stance against fb, youtube, and the like, developing their own home-grown counterparts.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    I've noticed a lot of buzz (no pun intended) around this new feature from Google. Are there any plans for SM to implement it alongside the fb and tweet buttons?

Have you read the terms of service for this from Google...take a look at Scott Bournes blog post on this......

http://photofocus.com/2011/07/06/google-plus-read-the-fine-print-before-you-sign-up/

As the article says... you need to read the FINE PRINT before signing up.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 6, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Have you read the terms of service for this from Google...take a look at Scott Bournes blog post on this......

http://photofocus.com/2011/07/06/google-plus-read-the-fine-print-before-you-sign-up/

Art, one thing, in the blog post quote, they left out the first sentence of paragraph 11:

"11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services."

And I agree - one should always read the fine print!
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    The thing to remember is that one must read the fine print, and everyone's interpretation is slightly different. The way I am approaching Evil Facebook and Google and any other social site in general is to place links to content I host elsewhere. So if I want to share a picture it is on my SmugMug site. If I want to share a blog post, it is on my self-hosted WordPress instance on my domain.

I take the attitude that I am responsible for protecting my ideas, especially since much of my work is IP based. (pun intended for those that know me.)

Also remember that the legal council you receive on the Internet is not worth anything in the court of law. If you want real legal advice and protection, pay for a lawyer or check with a local law school to see if they do pro bono work.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »

Good find. Seems like they mimic fb's protection of images--aka, none!
    Art, one thing, in the blog post quote, they left out the first sentence of paragraph 11:

"11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services."

And I agree - one should always read the fine print!
    But we all know the copyright is useless when you've already signed your rights away to make money off that intellectual property.

It's kind of interesting to see how all this is changing. Professional photographers are expected to not share their work on these social networks, and yet hobbyists that have pro-quality work will, thereby undercutting pros who are trying to get paid for such work. Calculate the raw number of hobbyists vs pros, and then figure out a way to automatically quantify the quality of each image on the social network and turn it into a stock service that pay pennies to the hobbyists (who will be happy with that, since they don't care about any money for their work), and the paid pro will be on the brink of extinction. What a bleak future...
  • Options
    PubUltraStarPubUltraStar Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    +1 on getting the Google+ Plusone button integrated into SmugMug. Please move this up on your list of development items. Thanks.
  • Options
    oddstuffoddstuff Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    plus-1-image.pngon this development!
    Anicca - the Theory of Impermanence: camera changes, photos stay (in Smugmug).
    About me - one of the the junior siblings in Dgrin family (DOB May 2006).
  • Options
    Mohamed.GhuloomMohamed.Ghuloom Registered Users Posts: 305 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2011
    I am really waiting for this, but I want it real good, big image show up is really important.
    Mohamed Photos
    Give a Message
  • Options
    LinhLinh Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2011
    I'm convinced most of the legalease is a CYA for "it's not our fault if someone steals your image from our services, we gave you copyright, but you gave us distribution... we're not on the hook for enforcement"

Of course, IANAL, and generally won't post anything on google or FB that I deem at risk anyway, heh.

And +1 for +1, but unless smugmug has some in with google, we all have to wait for some APIs...
    vote on the following smugmug feedback:
    CSS Block To Flow Down To Children Folders/Pages/Galleries
    [URL="http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/1104583-a-bulk-
    gallery-download-button-for-my-visitors"]bulk download option for clients[/URL]
  • Options
    whcowleywhcowley Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 5, 2011

+1