New - JFriend HTML5 Slideshow beta release!
The "JFriend HTML5 Slideshow" is now available!
Download site, full documentation (38 pages) and tutorial are here
[[New Version 1.2.0 released on October 21, 2012 for compatibility with IE10]]
Instructions for upgrading from a previous version of this slideshow here
Would you be interested in any of these things:
- A slideshow that loads 3-10x faster than the Smugmug slideshow. No waiting. Splash screen comes up instantly.
- Snazzy slideshow transitions (fades, wipes, reveals, flips, scales, etc...)
- A slideshow that has full functionality without Adobe flash. No flash version headaches for your viewers. No flash loading time. No flash install issues.
- A slideshow that works in browsers that don't have flash.
- A slideshow that automatically sizes itself to a mobile screen and works on Android phones, Android tablets, iPhone, iTouch, iPad, etc...
- A slideshow that's fully customizable with more than 50 customization options and further customization with CSS.
- A slideshow that can automatically stretch/scale itself to display the largest images possible.
- A slideshow that uses the latest and greatest features of CSS3 and HTML5 (when available) to give you a snazzy up-to-date look, but still works on old browsers like IE6 and Firefox 2.
- Color managed slideshow display for accurate color on a color calibrated system in a color-management-capable browser (like Safari or Firefox).
- The slideshow can be inserted on any page in your site (homepage, category page, sub-category page, gallery description, etc...) with only a few lines of activation code.
- Tested in Firefox (v2-v5), Safari (v4-v5), IE6-IE9, Opera (v10-v11), Android (2+), iPad, iTouch, iPhone, Chrome (v8-12).
If you are interested in any of these great new capabilities, then you may want to explore a new slideshow created just for Smugmug web sites.
Go here to the download site
to learn more. There are demo sites, a longer list of features, tutorial and reference documents and, of course, the actual slideshow code to install on your site.
If you have any troubles or questions, just post to this thread and I'll be happy to look into any issues. This is a beta release, but I've been running it on my own Smugmug homepage for a couple months without issue and a lot of other people are now running it. So, I think it's pretty solid - I'm just not going to call it a full release quite yet.
Oh, if you have a chance be sure to check out either of the demo slideshows in either Safari, Chrome, Opera or Firefox 4 (beta). In those new browsers, you'll see the new and cool CSS3/HTML5 slideshow transitions that leverage the latest browser capabilities.
Have at it and let me know how it goes!
P.S. To those who are currently running my stretchy slideshow, this is a replacement for that. The original stretchy slideshow was built on top of the Smugmug Flash slideshow. This new slideshow replaces all that and offers a lot of new functionality.
Last edited by jfriend; Dec-04-2012 at 08:27 PM.