Options

Recommend LCD monitor (non IPS)

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited November 11, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
So what is current status of LCD technology, are the conventional low price LCDs manufactured today any better than my old 17" Philips CRT? which should RIP. I have very limited options and none of them is IPS screen except apple stuff, which i cannot afford. I am in love with Samsung stunning artistic finish, but no idea how good they are for photo editing.

Dell ST2410
Samsung B2230HN
Samsung P2370
Samsung P2270

I am not looking for ground breaking monitor, just something that at least matches my phillips CRT 107c6. :thumb
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    So what is current status of LCD technology, are the conventional low price LCDs manufactured today any better than my old 17" Philips CRT? which should RIP. I have very limited options and none of them is IPS screen except apple stuff, which i cannot afford. I am in love with Samsung stunning artistic finish, but no idea how good they are for photo editing.

Dell ST2410
    Samsung B2230HN
    Samsung P2370
    Samsung P2270

I am not looking for ground breaking monitor, just something that at least matches my phillips CRT 107c6. thumb.gif

FWIW... I wouldn't buy any of the monitors you have listed for use in image viewing or editing. They all use 6bit "TN" TFT LCD panels that have issues with gamma/color shifting when viewed at angles other than straight on.

Do you not have access to any of these?

The following all use 8bit IPS TFT LCD panels with a matte finish. None are "wide gamut" as all offer a color gamut covering about 100% of the sRGB color space which is essentially what the Apple Cinema Series monitors offer. If you don't post process in the AdobeRGB or ProPhotoRGB color spaces then these will work well for you.

Dell 2209WA
    ... 22" 1680x1050

Dell U2211H
    ... 21.5" 1920x1080

Dell U2311H
    ... 23" 1920x1080

HP ZR22w
    ... 21.5" 1920x1080

HP ZR24w
    ... 24" 1920x1200

NEC EA231WMi
    ... 23" 1920x1080

Viewsonic VP2365WB
    ... 23" 1920x1080

and maybe this...

LG W2220P
    ... 21.5" likely 1920x1080 (probably same panel as the Dell and HP 21.5" monitors)
    ... could also be 22" 1680x1050 like the Dell 2209WA

or

Samsung F2380MX
    ... 23" 1920x1080
    ... c-PVA TFT panel
    ... improved version of F2380 (do not buy this model lacking the MX)

You can read reviews on these here:
    http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm
    http://www.flatpanelshd.com/reviews.php

• Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    Nah, may be because of low demand no distributors are importing serious IPS stuff, only glossy monitors for gamers. I don't mind looking straight at monitor when editing photos, will that work? Apple is available but way expensive!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    I don't mind looking straight at monitor when editing photos, will that work?

I've been editing my original post and have added a couple of monitors. What about those Samsung and LG monitors?

No, it won't work. With the new widescreen format, you will be looking at the center point of the TN panel and will still see color/gamma shifts at the outer edges of the sides and possibly a dark band at the top and bottom. It all depends on how close you sit.

Certainly, you can adjust your workflow by moving your head over to check how an area looks.

• Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    Newsy wrote: »
    I've been editing my original post and have added a couple of monitors. What about those Samsung and LG monitors?

No, it won't work. With the new widescreen format, you will be looking at the center point of the TN panel and will still see color/gamma shifts at the outer edges of the sides and possibly a dark band at the top and bottom. It all depends on how close you sit.

Certainly, you can adjust your workflow by moving your head over to check how an area looks.

I think i can get lucky with Samsung 2380MX, will call the distributor tomorrow. thumb.gif

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    I think i can get lucky with Samsung 2380MX, will call the distributor tomorrow. thumb.gif

The Prad.de review of the original F2380 was not very good. Since then Samsung has released the F2380MX and users have been liking it.

Here's a thread on it:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1515432&highlight=f2380mx

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    why LCD ?
    if money is a problem i say use [ second hand ] CRT
    its very hard to buy good & affordable computer-stuff in your area/ country

my old 22inch philips is a real monster [30 kilo's ] but its display quality is not replaced by any LCD TN yet [ IMO ]
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2010
    basflt wrote: »
    why LCD ?
    if money is a problem i say use [ second hand ] CRT
    its very hard to buy good & affordable computer-stuff in your area/ country

my old 22inch philips is a real monster [30 kilo's ] but its display quality is not replaced by any LCD TN yet [ IMO ]

Nah, actually computer stuff is reasonably priced in Pakistan but this specialized stuff has very low or no demand among serious consumers so no one imports this type of LCDs.

Lets see if i can find good LCD anyways i think i will keep my philips CRT if i am not able to find IPS LCDthumb.gif

My Gallery
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    Awais, while the TN - IPS issue is true, I have had absolutely no problems using the older Samsung 245BW and produce excellent prints, which is what I care about.

My wife uses the newer F2380 (which I believe is the same monitor you ask about, but for US sale ???), and I have used it on her computer also. Neither of us have any problem editing photographs and producing excellent results.

Now, theoretically and if money were not an issue, then I might purchase a high end IPS panel ... but what we use works well, and your brain/eyes rapidly learn how to deal with the slight color variations a different viewing angle may cause. Better tools do help make things easier, but a master carpenter can still make a beautiful cabinet with a sledge hammer if he has to.

I think you will like the Samsung!thumb.gif

Just my two paisa worth.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2010
    Thanks Henry, i will visit my friends using conventional LCD to see if difference is significant for my eyes and meanwhile search is on for IPS

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2010
    Hey i found one samsung cPVA monitor in Pakistan, 2333T but no reviews of this LCD anywhere on internet. Any experience with this?

And it is cheaper than any TN model from samsung available here!

My Gallery