Options

SM's 12 MB file size limit too low

sonic578sonic578 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited October 6, 2010 in SmugMug Support
I'm pretty new here. Just bought my first camera beyond a p&s - Canon's entry SLR the T2i. Took 178 pics during my first trip, with camera settings for res and quality set to max. Of the 178 jpg files, the smallest is 2.9 MB, and there are 7 that exceed 12 MB! That's an impressive file size range! Anyway...

Today I learned of SmugMug's 12MB file size limitation the hard way.

There are 2 parts to this post. First, a plea to the SM gurus to bump that 12MB limit to allow any jpg file that an "entry-level" SLR produces. The largest jpg file from the T2i in the 2 weeks of using this camera is 14.2 MB. The one thing that really attracted me to SM was the unlimited storage space. Now with this new twist, I don't really like the options... change camera settings for all pics? manually edit the large jpg files to fit under the 12MB limit?

The 2nd part of this post is to hope to find an uploader that works with Mac iPhoto, and has some intelligent file size mgmt. I've been using SmugMugExport (http://aarone.org/smugmugexport/), which is very simple and easy to use. It actually has a limit built in that allows the user to specify the max pixel count in any 1 dimension. What would be a nice improvement is a conditional scaling parameter that allows the jpg file to be resized to fit under the 12MB limit, only for those files that exceed that limit.

Does anyone know of some smart iPhoto-friendly uploader that can manage the 12MB file size limitation?

And finally, can anyone offer suggestions on the best way to "resize" a jpg file? Is there software to just slightly reduce jpg quality, or is it better to resize pixel count by scaling?

Sorry for the novice questions... and thanks for your inputs!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    Set your jpg settings in camera to be one notch under the largest size. 12mb is HUGE and the same file at 8mb won't be any different in print. Or, use photoshop or any other post processing tool, and save the file with a bit of compression.

By comparison, I shoot with 21 megapixel Canon 1Ds Mark III and 5D II, and my files that I upload and sell prints from are never over 12Mb in size.

We will always continue to look at file size limits. BTW, our pro accounts allow for 24Mb sizes.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2010
    Andy,

Thx for suggestion. The 1-notch down setting appears to have the same 18M pixel resolution but lower jpg quality (higher compression). 2 notches uses same jpg quality as max setting, but reduces total pixel count from 18M to 8M. Not sure which you are suggesting, but either way I assume represents a small IQ degradation. Granted most of the time it won't be missed, but for highly cropped pics, the pixels may come in handy, and as for the jpeg compression, i guess i don't know enough about lossy compression to know what that brings to the party?

As for my suggestion to "bump the 12MB limit", I wasn't thinking the limit should be removed entirely, just increased to allow the few larger files coming out of entry level SLR's these days. In the T2i case, it seems that only a small percentage (4% ??) of files would exceed 12MB, even at max settings. Some of the other services being offered are already using higher limits these days. Just thought the SM crew might revisit this at some point.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2010
    Use the first down-notch. Still 18mp but it's a small amount of in-camera jpg compression. Of course, most shoot RAW or RAW + JPG so if you have the RAWs you can make the file anytime again in the future thumb.gif

You will not notice any degradation of image quality, I assure you.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2010
    sonic578 wrote: »
    Some of the other services being offered are already using higher limits these days.

Which ones? ear.gif
    Andy wrote:
    We will always continue to look at file size limits
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    Which ones? ear.gif

Flickr Pro - 20MB file size limit.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2010
    Flickr Pro - 20MB file size limit.

Right. Our Pro is 24Mb size. We have both offerings thumb.gif

We'll continue to look at this. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2010
    Right. Our Pro is 24Mb size. We have both offerings thumb.gif

We'll continue to look at this. Thanks!

Let's not get tripped up by wording... mwink.gif

Flickr Pro = $25 / yr
    SM std = $40 / yr
    SM Pro = $150 / yr

I see Flickr Pro as similar level to SM standard.

I'm not trying to be difficult. You all have a business to run, and SM offers a lot of great features and good value. In fact with your suggestion to drop back a notch in my camera setting as the default, it will probably solve my immediate problem. My only point was as a SM member to politely ask SM to take a fresh look at the 12MB limit. With this discussion, I think the point is complete. The rest is up to the folks at SM. Thanks for considering and the continued great support.
  • Options
    phinheadphinhead Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 11, 2010
    Let's not get tripped up by wording... mwink.gif

Flickr Pro = $25 / yr
    SM std = $40 / yr
    SM Pro = $150 / yr

I see Flickr Pro as similar level to SM standard.

I'm not trying to be difficult. You all have a business to run, and SM offers a lot of great features and good value. In fact with your suggestion to drop back a notch in my camera setting as the default, it will probably solve my immediate problem. My only point was as a SM member to politely ask SM to take a fresh look at the 12MB limit. With this discussion, I think the point is complete. The rest is up to the folks at SM. Thanks for considering and the continued great support.

I agree with you on raising the limit. Considering the MB cameras are producing these days it would be nice to have the 12Mb limit moved to 15MB. Ever since I have bought my new camera I have uploaded fewer photos due to this limit. I have resized a few, but it's another step in the editing process that just adds more time. Guess I will try notching my camera down a little to see if it works...but I don't wanna. Otherwise I love SM...thanks for the services provided.
  • Options
    TalkieTTalkieT Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    I'll just add my 2c (New Zealand cents, not US cents - sorry, in joke with Andy :-) on this...

Using the top JPG setting is almost never the best idea. The files are huge and I'd bet any money that you couldn't tell the difference in a real world photo between top and one notch down, even viewed 100% on a monitor from 18 inches away.

I shoot raw on a 1d3 and 1ds2 (10 and 16mp) and process using Capture 1 at medium jpg quality and my files are about 1 - 1.5 megabytes each - maybe up to 2megabytes for the 16mp 1ds2 images.

I have printed them at 32*20" and there's no artifacting, edge halos or anything.

All shooting at the top jpg quality does is cost you space on disk and upload time. It's simply never worth it.

Note that shooting at the top RESOLUTION is always worth it in my opinion... So always shoot at 18mp, but just pull back the jpg compression one notch.

Cheers - N
    www.nzsnaps.com
    --
    http://www.nzsnaps.com (talkiet.smugmug.com)
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2010
    phinhead wrote: »
    I agree with you on raising the limit. Considering the MB cameras are producing these days it would be nice to have the 12Mb limit moved to 15MB.

No, but how about 24Mb for all customers? Yup, we just raised the filesize limit on Basic and Power Accounts to 24Mb as well clap.gif

It was also a top feature request on our Feature Request System.

Hot off the press, our latest Release Notes

clap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2010
    Good deal! Thanks for listening!
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Yup, we just raised the filesize limit on Basic and Power Accounts to 24Mb as well clap.gif

I guess I'm gonna have to start up-rezzing then! wings.gifD
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    No, but how about 24Mb for all customers? Yup, we just raised the filesize limit on Basic and Power Accounts to 24Mb as well clap.gif

Hot off the press, our latest http://release-notes.blogs.smugmug.com/2010/10/01/24-very-megabytes/

clap.gif

:ivar
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    habanrhabanr Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2010

Hot off the press, our latest Release Notes

clap.gif
    Correct filesize limit information at your page http://www.smugmug.com/photos/photo-sharing-features/
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2010
    habanr wrote: »
    Correct filesize limit information at your page http://www.smugmug.com/photos/photo-sharing-features/

Don't worry, we will - we did the change late on Friday, and there's still some supporting docs awaiting push to the live site. That page and a couple help pages will be updated.

Thanks!
  • Options
    hoobhoob Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    Adobe Lightroom 3.2 still bombs out on publishing to SmugMug if a file exceeds 12MB. Is this something hardcoded in LR3.2, in the SmugMug API, or something wrong with my account?
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2010
    hoob wrote: »
    Adobe Lightroom 3.2 still bombs out on publishing to SmugMug if a file exceeds 12MB. Is this something hardcoded in LR3.2, in the SmugMug API, or something wrong with my account?

What service are you uploading with?
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2010
    What service are you uploading with?

The Publication support for SmugMug added to and built into Lightroom 3.2. (Not the 3rd party add-on that's been around for awhile.)
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 5, 2010
    hoob wrote: »
    The Publication support for SmugMug added to and built into Lightroom 3.2. (Not the 3rd party add-on that's been around for awhile.)

Right-click on your SmugMug account in the Publish Services list, then select 'Edit Settings...'. The Publish Manager window will open, your SmugMug account info will be automatically refreshed, once that has happened. Click 'Cancel' and you should be right to upload 24mb.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    devbobo wrote: »
    Right-click on your SmugMug account in the Publish Services list, then select 'Edit Settings...'. The Publish Manager window will open, your SmugMug account info will be automatically refreshed, once that has happened. Click 'Cancel' and you should be right to upload 24mb.

Cheers,

David

Thanks... For some reason, pictures of fall leaves don't JPG-compress as well as other photos; I'd never hit the 12MB limit before until the most recent batch (I export at JPG level 93.)