Options

The Power of Black and White

hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
edited September 17, 2010 in Landscapes
I have been experimenting with some black and white conversions and I got somewhat excited with these particular results. I think I may be getting too involved so I need to be brought back to earth. Here are some B&W from Ocean View Boulevard that I found so so in color but I'm really liking the results so far in black and white. I need some serious critique on these so see if I'm on the right track.

#1 Distant Crash - The Pacific was pretty active the day I was there and there were lots of large waves. I was trying to get the sense of the rocky coast and try to capture the waves. I got a distant wave but the in color version it gets kind of lost in the sky.

1008139258_WhDrJ-L.jpg

1008146102_x7DyS-L.jpg

#3 Similar effect here. Interesting shot but somewhat boring in color but I'm liking the details in B&W

1008139513_5xJUj-L.jpg

Gallery versions here.
Thanks for looking...

Comments

• Options
    edited September 17, 2010
    Shameless bump and a tiny lecture.

I didn't think they were that bad mwink.gif. Seriously, don't be afraid to comment, good, bad or indifferently. The worst that happens is that I will sob uncontrollably behind my monitor but you won't be able to see that. :D Part of what is great about this forum is the feedback received from others. While I know my pictures are not earth shattering, they are better than when I started here a few years ago and that's because of comments from within the forum, seeing truly wonderful pictures, and comments others make on all the pictures. I try to comment on as many as time and limitations allow (many pictures are just blocked by my corporate servers). I have been able to learn a lot by forcing myself to comment on others pictures. The good ones are easy, but others are harder. It forces you to think what's wrong with the picture. And if you can figure that out and provide feedback to the shooter everyone benefits. I also try and comment on as many orphan threads as possible. Everyone deserves some comment if they make the effort to post.

Ok, I'm done. :deadhorse
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    Tom,

As important as this forum is for development, I do believe at one point a photographer or artist must rely on their own opinion to shape what unique vision and look they must create. Your work is at that leveldeal.gif
    By no means does this mean anyone should stop getting opinions on forums but rather not rely on their approval exclusively.
    The great gift of the internet is its glue that can bind many of us together. The great fault of the internet is that it can become the equalizer, making much the same. Your image of the wave crashing (#1) on the rock wayyyyy off in the distant is brilliantthumb.gif
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    I too have been liking black and white conversions and I too struggle. I think your scenes lend very well to B&W and the conversions do look pretty good. I might try to find a way to get more emotion out of the sky. While I honstly don't know how to do that I'm thinking you might need to do two B&W conversions (with one focused on the sky) and blend them. But then again, putting that much work into a B&W conversion is something I've never had to patience to do myself. :D
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    Tom,

As important as this forum is for development, I do believe at one point a photographer or artist must rely on their own opinion to shape what unique vision and look they must create. Your work is at that leveldeal.gif
    By no means does this mean anyone should stop getting opinions on forums but rather not rely on their approval exclusively.
    The great gift of the internet is its glue that can bind many of us together. The great fault of the internet is that it can become the equalizer, making much the same. Your image of the wave crashing (#1) on the rock wayyyyy off in the distant is brilliantthumb.gif
    Marc,

Thank you..........

I get what you are saying. I thank you again for your comment and also the help you have given in this forum. I know that my images have been getting better and I'm trusting my judgement more and more. Your comment helps push me a little farther in that direction.
  • Options
    mercphoto wrote: »
    I too have been liking black and white conversions and I too struggle. I think your scenes lend very well to B&W and the conversions do look pretty good. I might try to find a way to get more emotion out of the sky. While I honstly don't know how to do that I'm thinking you might need to do two B&W conversions (with one focused on the sky) and blend them. But then again, putting that much work into a B&W conversion is something I've never had to patience to do myself. :D

Bill,

I did consider pushing the sky a little darker to get it a little moodier. Believe it or not this is a picture taken mid afternoon on a partly sunny day. I achieved the darker sky by decreasing the intensity of the blue channel in Lightroom. That darkened the sky but also brought out the noise that's inherent in that channel. So this image is a compromise. There is a second image blended to remove harsh edges that come out when you adjust the blue channel.

Thanks for your comment.