Options

Online Photo Printing Services...Are They Good Enough?

SimplyShaneSimplyShane Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
edited August 18, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
I must keep this short, as I have work in a few minutes... :-P

Are online photo printing services like Mpix and Adorama worth it? Do their prints match what is on your screen?

I ask this because I am a poor college grad who can NOT afford a professional printer and I need to make prints for individuals who have been interested in my photography. I wish I could do it myself with my own eyes, but alas, I can not.

Image quality is absolutely my top priority...not speed...

Thoughts? (**Note:: I have my monitor calibrated with a Spyder 3 Express. If that matters.)
---My Photography Homepage---

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bengford

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    We think our Lab, Bay Photo, rocks: http://www.smugmug.com/photos/pro-print-labs-compared/
    Let us handle it... and let Bay handle the color correction!

wave.gif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    +1 on using SmugMug to do the printing. I have gotten great results, and when I have had problems SmugMug has stood behind the prints. They not only fixed the problem prints very quickly, they also explained how I got to where the prints weren't what I expected. Yup, they stood behind prints that were my error.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    We think our Lab, Bay Photo, rocks: http://www.smugmug.com/photos/pro-print-labs-compared/

wave.gif
    Is Bay available to all account levels? For some reason I have the impression that going direct from SM to Bay is only available to Pro accounts.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2010
    In typical fashion I answered my own question...

Yes, going direct from SM to Bay Photo is only available for Pro accounts. This doesn't mean you can't use Bay Photo as a lab, you just can't order Bay Photo prints directly from your SmugMug account (Standard and Power accounts).

http://www.smugmug.com/help/choice-of-printing-labs
    and
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=174047
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2010

wave.gif

One problem:: They are quite expensive! 22 bucks for a color corrected 13 x 19? Not so sure how I feel about that...

If the quality is there though, can I really complain? (Or if it isn't, can I take it back??)

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    One problem:: They are quite expensive! 22 bucks for a color corrected 13 x 19? Not so sure how I feel about that...

If the quality is there though, can I really complain? (Or if it isn't, can I take it back??)

You're fully covered by the SmugMug Guarantee. And check out what customers actually say:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=456689
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    Shane,
    Not sure where your getting the "22 bucks" from. My cost for a 12 X 18 through my SmugMug account is $12.30 for luster paper.

Their regular ( luster, etc ) prints are competitively priced for a pro lab. Do not expect Costco pricing! Do not expect, Costco quality. Do expect high quality and superb service.

Their color correcting is done by hand!! Not auto software.

Their pigmented ink prints or fine art paper is on the high side, but the quality is excellent.

If your looking for quality, Bay photo is hard to beat.

In order to get the best prints in your hand will take some effort on your part. You do need to have some test prints done and see how your monitor and image files match up with Bay's printers. Once you get this established you can expect consistant high quality prints.

Sam
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    I'm partial to White House Custom Color (www.whcc.com). Have been with them for years and have never been disappointed by a single print. They also do a great job with press printed cards.
    As a comparison, cost for a lustre 12x18 is $6.30 + $1 for color correction.
    E
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    I can't recommend going through SmugMug enough. I have used both EZPrints and BayPhoto and have been happy with the final results. The reason I say final results is that as a beginning shooter not all my photos turned out as well as I had hoped. The quality of the printing was great, the brightness & saturation of color was not what I expected. I sent one e-mail in asking some questions about the process so that I could learn and get better results the next time. The SmugMug Support Heroes quickly looked at the issue, they re-ordered the prints (both paper and metal) with some corrections (that they had BayPhoto did) and asked that I send one of the prints to them to compare. This was way behind my original question of how can I get better prints next time. Worth every penny for the service.

Also something to consider for prints on metal, they are truly ready to hang no frame required. The first print I had framed cost more than the metal prints I am getting.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2010
    You're fully covered by the SmugMug Guarantee. And check out what customers actually say:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=456689

Maybe you could help me clear this up..

I am NOT a Smugmug user (Yet.) Heck, I don't pay for any online photo service. (I use Flickr for free right now. I tried DeviantART, but got tired of all the anime and child's play.)

Anyway... Does SmugMug use Bay Photo for printing? If so, do SmugMug users get a discount?

(Sorry, I'm very confused with this heavy overlap between Bay Photo and SmugMug. Apparently these forums are also heavily related to SmugMug, as they are powered by it...)

Oh, and one more thing...

Bay offers "Color Corrected" printing and "Economy," non-color corrected prints. If they give you 5 free test shots, why would you ever need to have them color correct anything when you can just match your monitor to the prints? Seems a little strange to me. But then again, maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

Thank you for your help so far! I appreciate it deeply. You are all very nice, generous people. :-)

• Options
    edited August 6, 2010
    Anyway... Does SmugMug use Bay Photo for printing?
    Read this page... http://www.smugmug.com/help/choice-of-printing-labs

Standard and Power level acccounts print through EZPrints, while the Power account level has the added option of using BayPhoto. This applies when clicking the "Buy" button on a SmugMug hosted page.

For those of us that do not have a Pro level account, we can still use BayPhoto but we must upload our photos directly to them (Bay) as we would with any other print lab and SmugMug wouldn't be involved in the transaction.

PS - You've got some amazing work on Flickr!
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    At Smugmug Bay Photo printing is only available to Pro subscribers.

Color correction at Bay Photo is done by a skilled color tech, not a computer program.

As far as I can tell Smugmug will fix up and reprint at Bay Photo for free even if you mess up what you send into be printed. I've found the Support Hero's are incredibly helpful and you learn a lot from them.

If you are already really skilled at color corection and don't need the incredible support and fulfillment that Smugmug provides, you will find using Bay Photo directly less expensive. You can get a printer color profile for Bay Photo so you can see what colors their printer will produce from your photos, if you've a calibarated monitor, if you go the uncorrect route.

I am NOT a Smugmug user (Yet.) Heck, I don't pay for any online photo service. (I use Flickr for free right now. I tried DeviantART, but got tired of all the anime and child's play.)

Anyway... Does SmugMug use Bay Photo for printing? If so, do SmugMug users get a discount?

(Sorry, I'm very confused with this heavy overlap between Bay Photo and SmugMug. Apparently these forums are also heavily related to SmugMug, as they are powered by it...)

Oh, and one more thing...

Bay offers "Color Corrected" printing and "Economy," non-color corrected prints. If they give you 5 free test shots, why would you ever need to have them color correct anything when you can just match your monitor to the prints? Seems a little strange to me. But then again, maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

Thank you for your help so far! I appreciate it deeply. You are all very nice, generous people. :-)
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    My friend and I have ordered prints from EZ Prints & BayPhoto (thru SmugMug) and also from Adorama Pics. Both EZ Prints and Adorama have very high quality that would more than please most people. Bay Photo's quality is a notch above imho. It's much easier for me to order prints thru smugmug, but Adorama runs frequent specials that make it advantageous for me to actually order from them more often. Adorama will allow bulk prepaid orders also, so when they run a sale I can order a bundle at the lower price and order individual prints as I need them.

Both EZ Prints & Adorama have very quick turn-around and reasonable shipping. I don't remember about Bay Photo but I think it took a wee bit longer because humans do the color correcting (well worth it for any 'special' prints).

Sherry
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010

I think your Statement," Image quality is absolutely my top priority...not speed..." Is probably where we got off suggesting their color correction.

As far as the " overlap" you mention regarding BayPhoto and SM...I think what you're getting here is simply a higher quantity of very satisfied customers who have used their services. You might get equal feedback about other place's service/quality if you sampled other forums. But and this is a biggie: If you sample the opinions of the informed, such as can be found here, you find that they think SM is a good place. And what I found when searching deeper than that and hanging out here for the time I have is, SM goes to great lengths to ensure what we get is top notch in service & quality backed by their reputation. They care about their reputation and the ONLY way to do that is to care about customers and that is spelled: S E R V I C E !

As a SM pro acct. holder I am SM's customer, not BayPhoto's. I or my customers order prints from my site, BayPhoto provides the printing service, and SM makes sure everyone is happy with the result.

Hope that wee diatribe helps~
    tom wise
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010

So you want the top quality of a professional lab, yet you don't want to pay for it?

Hmmm.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    The Mack wrote: »
    So you want the top quality of a professional lab, yet you don't want to pay for it?

Hmmm.

No need to be hating. I'm cheap. :-P

In all seriousness though, thanks to all who replied. It seems Bay Photo will be my printer of choice...

• Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    Then accept cheap quality prints and be known for it. I'm not hating, I've just learned.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    The Mack wrote: »

Hmmm.

I was in the OP's shoes back in the film days......I had a choice of 5 labs locally...all PRO labs...all extremely high dollar...I searched the ads in every photo mag I had and strrted sending negs and slides to be printed and I foundsome labs that had extremely high quality for a very low price...meaning....I was getting 20x30 prints for under $10 that were dust spotted, negs / slide cleaned, color corrected etc etc........my local labs would have charged me nearly $100 for all these services and called it the MASTER PRINTS.............I still have 2 of these prints framed...............

So the inexpensive but PRO lab does exist if you are willing to search for it..............the labs i was using are now gone, as the original owners passed on the family did not want to stay in the business and so the companies went into oblivion as so many small businesses do................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website