Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS Mega-Challenge #7 (Illustrating Text)

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited March 23, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Are you ready?!?!?! :barb Welcome to the seventh Dgrin Sharp Shooters Mega-Challenge!

This contest will run from Monday, March 8, 8:00am EST (GMT -5) on through Monday, March 22, 8:00am EDT (GMT -4).

Your theme ready for wide open interpretation: Illustrating Text: "The Lake Isle of Innisfree," by W.B. Yeats

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.

Your awesome and gracious judges are:
Lord Vetinari
schmoo
ziggy53
ian408
Llywellyn

The contest is open to the following eligible photographers ONLY:

anonymouscuban<o:p></o:p>
bf2015<o:p></o:p>
cmurph<o:p></o:p>
Coldclimb<o:p></o:p>
CWSkopec<o:p></o:p>
davev<o:p></o:p>
divamum<o:p></o:p>
DsrtVW
Froch
JAG
JeffGroves<o:p></o:p>
johnloguk<o:p></o:p>
JordanLynn<o:p></o:p>
jwear<o:p></o:p>
KevXman<o:p></o:p>
Kim H<o:p></o:p>
learnin<o:p></o:p>
lilmomma<o:p></o:p>
lizzard_nyc
MarkR<o:p></o:p>
michswiss<o:p></o:p>
MrsCue<o:p></o:p>
nightpixels<o:p></o:p>
photo-bug<o:p></o:p>
sherstone<o:p></o:p>
Steve Wiencek<o:p></o:p>
Swelldays<o:p></o:p>
Tewmom<o:p></o:p>
tinamarie52<o:p></o:p>
trevor<o:p></o:p>
Tylwydd<o:p></o:p>
Velvet-Art

Click here for the DSS Mega-Challenge #7 ENTRY GALLERY

Remember, 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period.
Please read the DGrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.
All official stuff (entry thread link, etc.) are here.

Comments

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Oh, this is awesome! I'm bummed I can't take part, but it sure will be fun watching all the entries go up. :D
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Oh WOW!!! And, amazingly, these two weeks are less frantic than the past two months have been (well, relatively speaking) so fingers crossed I'll have the time to do something!

::scuttles away, wishing she lived in the Lake District or west coast of Ireland, but determined to think outside the box::
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2010
    Some may have noticed a very prominent theme for these two rounds. I simply could not resist the indulgence. :D
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Some may have noticed a very prominent theme for these two rounds. I simply could not resist the indulgence. :D

Given that I have a daughter named Aisling, how could I not notice!!!????!!!??

(for those that don't know, it's pronounced "Ashling". There ya go. And added bit of Gaelic for the day.)
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    One of my favorite Yeats poems (i.e., one of the few that I actually like.)

Great poem, great imagery.

I'm completely out of ideas. :D
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    I am *so* looking forward to what you guys come up with. These results are going to be absolutely fabulous.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2010
    MarkR wrote:
    One of my favorite Yeats poems (i.e., one of the few that I actually like.)
    Hah, yes, he was an indulgent old fellow with many of his poems (and titles!). :D My favorites are "Down by the Salley Gardens," which was too limiting, and "The Wild Swans at Coole," which felt too out of season. (I have a stone from the shores of Coole, where I stood with my English professors one summer and read the poem aloud. One of the many reasons that poem is dear to me. iloveyou.gif)

At any rate, it was great fun tearing into my old literature books and my collection of Irish authors this weekend to find a passage I felt challenge worthy. "Innisfree" was the first to pop into my head, and I simply kept coming back to it, no matter how much the wit and satire of Wilde and Swift tried to tempt me away (though they succeeded in much distracting me with fun rereading).

I hope it suits for my final mark upon the challenge themes. It's been grand.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I hope it suits for my final mark upon the challenge themes. It's been grand.

Thank you. Thank you, and thank you. I will go to the water in the next two weeks and take an image that reminds me of Ireland. Thank you.
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Oh my! This will be more than a stretch! That's why we call them Challenges!! Llywellyn, with or without yeats, you've left your mark!

chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    This would be a great theme in the summer, with the dirty snow and brown scenery around here, I'm not feeling it.
    Good luck, I'll probably sit it out.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    davev wrote:
    This would be a great theme in the summer, with the dirty snow and brown scenery around here, I'm not feeling it.
    Good luck, I'll probably sit it out.

Yeah, I was also thinking that this might be a bit of an issue for people not living in the warmer areas.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Sometimes the complete absence of something speaks to that something. Perhaps if you removed the green channel from a 'green-less' image..... I think you've had plenty of creative images that you don't need a big splotch of grass to make it happen... Remember St. Patty's day is nearing...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2010
    There's more imagery than just warm-weather stuff in there. nod.gif

We still have dirty snow banks here, too.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Sometimes the complete absence of something speaks to that something. Perhaps if you removed the green channel from a 'green-less' image..... I think you've had plenty of creative images that you don't need a big splotch of grass to make it happen... Remember St. Patty's day is nearing...

Partly ignore my reply. I was thinking this was in the DSS thread. Still, all the more to challenge you with...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2010
    Ok, I missed what may be the one sunny window we'll get, yesterday. Whoops.....
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Yeah, I was also thinking that this might be a bit of an issue for people not living in the warmer areas.

I dunno, I'm at a loss for how I can make Thailand look like Ireland! rolleyes1.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    coldclimb wrote:
    I dunno, I'm at a loss for how I can make Thailand look like Ireland! rolleyes1.gif

You guys are such sandbaggers! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    coldclimb wrote:

I'm too trying to have a big open mind and find the sense of the poem in Mexico rolleyes1.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 13, 2010
    Being Ak with 5 ft of snow on the ground and below 0 temps...this is going to have to stretch everyones imagination with my entry...lolheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2010
    JAG wrote:
    Being Ak with 5 ft of snow on the ground and below 0 temps...this is going to have to stretch everyones imagination with my entry...lolheadscratch.gif

I think that's why it's called a MEGA challenge deal.gif , he said, eyeing the brown and yellow tundra of his backyard. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    No I have creative whiplash, not realizing if I place in the last challenge put me into this one. I have been thinking green instead of chasing Yeats
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2010
    DsrtVW wrote:
    No I have creative whiplash, not realizing if I place in the last challenge put me into this one. I have been thinking green instead of chasing Yeats

Well, at least there's some overlap ...
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2010
    Waaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I seriously don't know if I'm going to get anything together here. This week is, apparently, DM's Week of Photographic Insanity. I did 6 of the 20 (yes you read that right) headshot sessions I'm doing at the college (for next to no money) yesterday and hit technical troubles, meaning about half of what I shot is tossers, and the rest need WAY more processing than I usually do for proofs just to make them presentable. I've been at it for nearly 10hrs today. Wednesday night is a concert shoot, and next Sunday is the 2nd batch of headshots, only 7 kids this time.

And I haven't even had time to THINK about Inisfree!! I'm bummed. I really REALLY have been looking forward to doing another megachallenge, and haven't had so much as a free braincell to go and play around with it.

All this not so much to whine (ok, so I'm whining) but to say... if I don't manage to put together an entry in time, it won't be out of laziness!!!!!!!!!

Ok, back to editing. Eyes. Bugging. Out.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2010
    I am silent but not out of it yet....thinking thinking thinking....headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2010
    If you're looking to find that hint of Ireland, there's no better day than today. Happy St. Patrick's Day! friday.gif
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote:
    If you're looking to find that hint of Ireland, there's no better day than today. Happy St. Patrick's Day! friday.gif

Cheers from Mexico with a shot of tequila!

811751576_bqUVB-L-1.jpg
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Rough schedule DM. But think of it this way. The entire chaos of your week, speaks to the poem. :o)
    Good luck!
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2010
    can someone please tell me how to get the url to the exif (I know how to get the url) into the title line written as EXIF1 .I can do it on a post like this one because of the tools but havent figured out how to do it in the gallery.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    JAG wrote:
    can someone please tell me how to get the url to the exif (I know how to get the url) into the title line written as EXIF1 .I can do it on a post like this one because of the tools but havent figured out how to do it in the gallery.ne_nau.gif

If you click edit on my entry caption, you can see the code I used, just replace the URL info and you should be good to go. If that doesn't help I can give you a more descriptive answer when I get home later tonight
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    If you click edit on my entry caption, you can see the code I used, just replace the URL info and you should be good to go. If that doesn't help I can give you a more descriptive answer when I get home later tonight
    thanks sean I will give it a try...thumb.gif

EDIT....
    worked like a charm. Thanks Sean. Now I will have to keep this code on a notepad for future use.