The coupon feedback thread

1181920212224»

Comments

• Options
    Chris OChris O Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    Interesting or optimistic?

Well over the SM twitter accounts, they're hinting that something long awaited should be released tonight.

If it's coupons, I'm creating packages first thing tomorrow and marketing with it.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited December 4, 2009
    Chris O wrote:
    Well over the SM twitter accounts, they're hinting that something long awaited should be released tonight.

If it's coupons, I'm creating packages first thing tomorrow and marketing with it.
    Coupons and packages are separate releases.
  • Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Chris O wrote:

Coupons - Yes
    Packages - Later

That's the feeling I'm getting. That should be confirmed in about 30 minutes or so.
  • Options
    KaganKagan Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Chris O wrote:

If its something facebook, Iphone, or twitter related I am going to literally cry...... rolleyes1.gif
    Kagan
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    Coupons and packages are separate releases.

Oops, I didn't mean packages, typo.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 4, 2009
    its live. enjoy everyone.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    roger that, i see me some couponage.

*high five*
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Huh? Why would I need to have a credit card on file to see coupons. (Comped API developer account.)

Ok, let me add one. Hrm, same error:
    Valid Credit Card Required
    The bad news
    It doesn't appear that you have a valid major credit card on file.

The good news
    A quick visit to your Control Panel to update your credit card information will get you on your way.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 4, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    Huh? Why would I need to have a credit card on file to see coupons. (Comped API developer account.)

Darryl, that's a bit of fail on the error message, make sure you have first name, last name, address and phone number entered.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    Well, it works on one of my other accounts, so no big deal (not that I'm selling prints anyways).

Here's the reason for credit cards:
    Coupons let you reward select customers. They are free for you to create and use. Your credit card will only be charged if the reward you offer drops the order total below cost.

More info: https://secure.smugmug.com/help/coupon-codes
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    darryl wrote:

Sorry to foil you there. You'll actually need a first and last name AND valid CC on file to create coupons. All paid accounts have first and last name on file so we didn't bother to mention it, but a comp'd account likely wouldn't.

The reason is, it's possible to create coupons that drop orders below cost and the pro would then be responsible for any overage charges. (From print credits, $ off that are more than the amount of profit on the order, etc.)

Make sense?

-Anne
    SmugMug Support Hero

EDITED TO ADD: Dev beat me to the answer. :D
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    Darryl, that's a bit of fail on the error message, make sure you have first name, last name, address and phone number entered.

Ah, I didn't have a first/last name entered. Note however that the Credit Card page does not have spaces for those fields. It's under the "Name" section.
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    We need some documentation here...

I'm trying to figure out how to do this:
    If I charge a $50 session fee and want to let them apply this to prints... the session fee turns into "a print credit", which should be one time use.

I try to create a coupon for a "print credit" but the maximum uses is disabled. I have to create a "amount off" coupon to access the maximum uses field.

Makes me wonder what the difference is between "print credit" and "amount off"...

Anyway once I figure this all out, coupons will be a very nice addition.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:

Oh, I see the link to coupon documentation has been updated while I was writing that.

When I first accessed coupons, the help link went to http://www.smugmug.com/help/coupons.mg

Now it goes to
    https://secure.smugmug.com/help/coupon-codes

thumb.gif
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how to do this:
    If I charge a $50 session fee and want to let them apply this to prints... the session fee turns into "a print credit", which should be one time use.

I try to create a coupon for a "print credit" but the maximum uses is disabled. I have to create a "amount off" coupon to access the maximum uses field.

Makes me wonder what the difference is between "print credit" and "amount off"...

Anyway once I figure this all out, coupons will be a very nice addition.
    Great question. A print credit is exactly like a gift card. It can be used all on one order, or it can fully cover an order and still have extra left on it to be used on additional order(s).

In your example, it could be used on a $12.50 print order, then later a $25 order, and still have $12.50 to apply to a third order.

You can't set a maximum number of uses, because it is allowed to get used on as many orders as it takes until it's totally used up. Each print credit code should be distributed to just one person, otherwise several people would be sucking up the same $$$ allowance.

An "amount off" coupon could be created such that it is a "get up to $50 of prints for free" coupon. That would involve setting it up with no minimum. Or it could be "get $50 an order of $100 or more", for example, if you wanted to invoke a minimum purchase requirement.

-Anne
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    You can't set a maximum number of uses, because it is allowed to get used on as many orders as it takes until it's totally used up. Each print credit code should be distributed to just one person, otherwise several people would be sucking up the same $$$ allowance.

Thanks Anne. This is exactly what I was looking for... and I just read the documentation and this is not explained as nicely as you have done here.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    Thanks Anne. This is exactly what I was looking for... and I just read the documentation and this is not explained as nicely as you have done here.

Hehe well I wrote the documentation too so maybe I'd better take another look at it! :D

-Anne
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    ...it's possible to create coupons that drop orders below cost and the pro would then be responsible for any overage charges....

Hmm this could make coupons interesting to me too... Does this mean coupons can be used to gift prints? Can the coupon be tied to one specific product, paper/size/etc, and cover the whole cost for the end customer?

Malte
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    Hmm this could make coupons interesting to me too... Does this mean coupons can be used to gift prints? Can the coupon be tied to one specific product, paper/size/etc, and cover the whole cost for the end customer?

Malte

I see now that if I want to be specific I can just order the product myself and set a different shipping address... But I guess if I want to give my gift-ee some choice I can give a coupon.

Malte
  • Options
    drmoondrmoon Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    bigwebguy wrote:

Merry Christmas Santa (i.e. Smugmug developers)

clap.gif
  • Options
    MarkWMarkW Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    bigwebguy wrote:

You guys are awesome!!! I love smugmug!
    Mark Warren
    EOS 50D, 30D, Sigma 50-150 f/2.8, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, MF Pentax 50 f/1.4, MF 70-200 f/4.0, and a MF 200 f/4 adapted for Canon, Canon 580EXII and 430EX, 2 Vivitar 285HV's and many various modifiers.
    http://www.markwphoto.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/markwphoto/
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    ...Does this mean coupons can be used to gift prints?...

As you guys put it: Ack!

"Currently coupons do not apply to shipping. So even if your customer has a print credit that more than covers the cost of prints, the shipping charge will still have to be paid for via credit card in the shopping cart."

:cry

Malte
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Thanks to all for your patience, help and support.

This thread is closed, we have a new help and feedback thread here and a Coupons Business Discussion thread here.
This discussion has been closed.