Options

Sandra (18+)

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited November 16, 2009 in Go Figure
Being UE has one huge advantage - I can shoot midweek. :wink :rofl

#1: Dgrin, meet Sandra. As you can see, she's not your typical runway model. Actually, she's a writer (funnily, so is Danielle:-). But she liked my ideas, was eager to play along - and I totally didn't mind shooting (beats browsing "dead" job sites 100 to 1:-)

639645538_FvXpK-XL.jpg

#2: She liked playing in my pool, too (and who wouldn't, given the triple digits weather):

639645344_AquWe-L.jpg

#3: But at some point the playtime had to end and we had to get back to work:

639645637_DutT3-XL.jpg

#4: Our primary shoot theme was "Hats". Our first character was "Slutty Hamptonity":

639666020_g2Qhd-XL.jpg

#5: IMG_0585.jpg

639666019_GXUBJ-XL.jpg

#6: IMG_0575.jpg

639666203_MCCjz-XL.jpg

#7: Then we switched to the "Mad Hatter". We started with military green:

639666282_2YE9f-XL.jpg

#8: IMG_0647.jpg

639666634_gZrmV-XL.jpg

#9: But later switched to more bloody red:

639666820_wBFPq-XL.jpg

#10: IMG_0672.jpg

639666880_a9rCw-XL.jpg

#11: IMG_0669.jpg

639667351_oEeMs-XL.jpg

#12: Then it was turn of the famous Soviet Army fur hat (and AK-47 as a staple accessory). Here's Sandra playing a sentinel:

639667700_rdPnL-XL.jpg

#13: Don't mess with the naked ladies in the fur hats!

639667525_gweRv-XL.jpg

#14: Finally we did a few bodyscapes:

639674559_9waMp-L.jpg

#15: IMG_0789.jpg

639674598_MEFd6-XL.jpg

All in all, this shoot would probably never get a High Artistic Merit Award. But it was fun, and it made us laugh a lot. Hope it would cheer you up, too!

Enjoy! C&C welcome!

This post was made with the assistance of Star*Explorer
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    cwhitecwhite Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    I love these!! It's a welcome change to see a beautiful, voluptuous woman, with a truly natural body. I wish there were more series like this one, showcasing the average woman and her body (not that there's anything average about this stunning woman). Absolutely fantastic!!!
    -Chris
    My SmugMug gallery: http://cwhite.smugmug.com/
    My 52-week project: 52 Weeks of Photography
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Nice work Nik - and she really looks like she had fun. It is also a nice change to not see the really angular (uncomfortable) poses.

ann
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    I love #3- too bad about her fingers. I also like #2. I 'm not a fan of the first hat set, but you got some great expressions in the "Mad Hatter" series. The bodyscapes are gorgeous.

Caroline
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    cwhite wrote:
    I love these!! It's a welcome change to see a beautiful, voluptuous woman, with a truly natural body. I wish there were more series like this one, showcasing the average woman and her body (not that there's anything average about this stunning woman). Absolutely fantastic!!!
    Chris, thank you! thumb.gif
    As I said, she is not a stereotypical "Hollywood model" (19 y.o, 6'0", 120lb, etc. ). Older, shorter, "thicker"... Mature "next door" woman, not an bulimic "valley" girl. But I liked working with her a lot, and decided at least some of our work is OK to show... :D
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Nice work Nik - and she really looks like she had fun. It is also a nice change to not see the really angular (uncomfortable) poses.
    ann
    Thanks Ann! thumb.gif
    I thought you liked my poses rolleyes1.gif :cry mwink.gifiloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    I love #3- too bad about her fingers. I also like #2. I 'm not a fan of the first hat set, but you got some great expressions in the "Mad Hatter" series. The bodyscapes are gorgeous.

Caroline
    Thanks for stopping by!
    Yeah, sorry about #3... I kinda treated the whole "pool" sequence as a bunch of snapshots, so my framing was definitely not as precise as I do in the studione_nau.gif . But in the end I loved the softness of the body and figured out I wouldn't cause too much harm if I post these "snaps" too.
    I was surprised mysef about "Mad Hatter" series. They came out nicely.
    And the bodyscapes - yeah, totally. Fun to prepare ("ice, ice, baby" + "oil, baby, oil"), fun to shoot, fun to postprocess, fun to share, fun to look at... mwink.gif
  • Options
    codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Interesting series but only one catches my eyes...

It seems more like a playful day and less of a photoshoot IMO. The pool shots are just fun and not portfolio worthy, but fun.

90% of the pictures on the backdrops have a lot of strange pixelations that I can't put my fingers on. It seems like you exposed well on the subject, but not so well for the backdrop and it gained noise and loss of detail. A lot of it seems that she is too close to the backdrop, maybe only a few feet when you truly want about 5+ feet from the end of the sweep to the model.

The images with the fancy chains the lighting is too flat, makes the subject uninteresting.

You came back with the better sculpted light in the next series, but the added color lights are just distracting and seem to have no reason, but just to be there.

The soviet photos are lit with the lighting being brightest on the midsection of the model where it's more pleasing if the face is the brightest point instead of being led directly to her chest/stomach.

This just doesn't seem like your normal work and I hope I don't offend with my opinions.
    -Chris :)
    http://simplyphotostudio.com
    http://decayedbeauty.com
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
    codiac2600 wrote:
    Interesting series but only one catches my eyes...

It seems more like a playful day and less of a photoshoot IMO. The pool shots are just fun and not portfolio worthy, but fun.

90% of the pictures on the backdrops have a lot of strange pixelations that I can't put my fingers on. It seems like you exposed well on the subject, but not so well for the backdrop and it gained noise and loss of detail. A lot of it seems that she is too close to the backdrop, maybe only a few feet when you truly want about 5+ feet from the end of the sweep to the model.

The images with the fancy chains the lighting is too flat, makes the subject uninteresting.

You came back with the better sculpted light in the next series, but the added color lights are just distracting and seem to have no reason, but just to be there.

The soviet photos are lit with the lighting being brightest on the midsection of the model where it's more pleasing if the face is the brightest point instead of being led directly to her chest/stomach.

This just doesn't seem like your normal work and I hope I don't offend with my opinions.

Chris,
    thank you very much for your comments. Very solid points on all accounts. And no offence taken! thumb.gif
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    My favorite of this series is the bodyscapes. Looks like it was a very fun shoot!
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    My favorite of this series is the bodyscapes. Looks like it was a very fun shoot!
    Thanks, Sean!
    I do agree that the bodyscapes probably carry a "higher artistic merit" than the rest. However, I feel like I'm getting into the same rut with them (only so many ways to capture a female bosom in black and white with a minimalistic lighting :-), so I'm trying to explore other oppertunities... Bodyscapes, like highkey, are easy-sure-thing once you learn how to do it, and they do tend to produce consistently nice-looking results, but... How many of them can one person take:-) mwink.gif
    Once again, glad to see you here in GF section, I'm anxiously waiting for more inspirational work from you! thumb.gif
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks, Sean!
    How many of them can one person take:-) mwink.gif
    Once again, glad to see you here in GF section, I'm anxiously waiting for more inspirational work from you! thumb.gif

You have a point Nik, and I agree experimentation and exploration of new things is always a good idea. Since they obviously are not your favorites from this shoot I will say out of the others that, #13: Don't mess with the naked ladies in the fur hats!, is my favorite shot due to it being a very dynamic pose. The others are "fun".

Thanks for the Welcome.

Sean
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    You have a point Nik, and I agree experimentation and exploration of new things is always a good idea. Since they obviously are not your favorites from this shoot I will say out of the others that, #13: Don't mess with the naked ladies in the fur hats!, is my favorite shot due to it being a very dynamic pose. The others are "fun".

Thanks for the Welcome.

Sean
    Sean, glad you picked that one. I personally see it as one of the best from this shoot. And don't get me wrong: I love bodyscapes, but I guess it's just I have a little David Bowie in me that tells me to get out and explore... mwink.gif
  • Options
    rmwphotormwphoto Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    Hey Nikolai
    I have a question about get the water beads just rite ,I was wonder if you use
    baby-oil then mist water or dry skin then mist water.
    I am hopeing to do a shoot like that one day .
    Just seen some cool pics where the beads of water look really cool in
    some other bodyscape pics.
    Just wondering.
    www.rmwphoto.ca
    Canon XSI
    18-55 AF IS
    55-250 AF IS
    Canon 430 EXII Flash
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2009
    rmwphoto wrote:
    Hey Nikolai
    I have a question about get the water beads just rite ,I was wonder if you use
    baby-oil then mist water or dry skin then mist water.
    I am hopeing to do a shoot like that one day .
    Just seen some cool pics where the beads of water look really cool in
    some other bodyscape pics.
    Just wondering.
    It was much simpler than that. As it was one of those 100+ days, we took frequent breaks with her skinny dipping in the pool (as a cooling measure and some more photo fun). Before we started the bodyscapes we rubbed the baby oil in her upper torso (boy, it's a hard job to be a model photographer:-), she quickly jumped into the pool and we only rubbed her with the towel everywere else except the areas in question (again, why don't I have an assistant? I have to do everything myself, arrgh:-).
    And then quickly proceeded to the shooting stage.

Misting is also possible but it creates a different droplets structure.

HTH
  • Options
    canoesailorcanoesailor Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Nice Pics
    Great Photos and a beautiful model -
    I always prefer natural normal women as nude models they seem to have a joy about posing.

John T
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    Great Photos and a beautiful model -
    I always prefer natural normal women as nude models they seem to have a joy about posing.

John T
    Tnak you for your kind words, John! thumb.gif
  • Options
    TNTATCTNTATC Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Came across a few posts of yours on other photographers and you have a lot of nerve. Your first shots should not be on here 1-3 are horrible there is no art or skill in those shots just pics of a naked woman, creepy. Your others with the camera added little to show off any lighting or editing experiance. I understand that you enjoy to look at nude women but lets keep the site clean, it's for (Photography)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 16, 2009
    Ouch....
  • Options
    Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    I think that was a little uncalled for...
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 16, 2009
    What's troublesome about TNTACT's post is that it's not so much a critique of the photos as an outright personal attack. This business about him seeing other photos of Nik's in other photograper (sites?) and that he has "a lot of nerve" sounds like stalking. Or jealousy perhaps. Either way it's abusive, nonconstructive, and not within the spirit of Dgrin.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited November 16, 2009
    TNTATC wrote:
    Came across a few posts of yours on other photographers and you have a lot of nerve. Your first shots should not be on here 1-3 are horrible there is no art or skill in those shots just pics of a naked woman, creepy. Your others with the camera added little to show off any lighting or editing experiance. I understand that you enjoy to look at nude women but lets keep the site clean, it's for (Photography)
    You knowingly wandered into a password protected area of the site. And I should add the thread title also warns of what you might encounter.

What did you expect?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Lots of fun Nik. My favorite is #13thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Maybe we should stop feeding the trolls?
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Lots of fun Nik. My favorite is #13thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Thank, Dan! thumb.gif