Options

Photo Location Map - slows webpage

KnicksenKnicksen Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins

Hi There,

We had a photo location map on our website home page at https://www.henni.photo/ , but removed it as it was slowing down loading quite a bit.

Is this a known issue? Is there a solution?

This is the map, which has around 560 images / pins from across 16 galleries - https://www.henni.photo/Photo-Locations-Map

Cheers,
Paul

henni.photo

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
  • Options

Thanks, I'll do that. B)

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins

You're actually hiding any fixes by going to Smugmug Support. Please, whatever they do please post the fix here.
    There's a lot of members that could be trouble shooting the same problem.
    Thanks

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options

@Allen Fair point.

Some info on where this got to.

In summary, I was getting expected loading times for a larger amount of photos, but this wasn't what we wanted for our Website home page / first user experience, so we switched to a non-dynamic map image which then linked to the map. Go here to see it - www.henni.photo

The discussion with Smugmug -

From Smugmug
    The noted map is loading in about 4-5 seconds, which appears normal is the map has 1000 photo locations and there is a fair amount of data to load.

Loading would also depend on your internet speed and browser conditions. How long is the map taking to load for you?

You can also try clearing your browser cache and restart the browser. That may speed things up.

Me
    Tested things out.

We are on a Fibre connection. Using my desktop PC, Firefox browser, I have 273 Mbps download speed.

No map, website loads in 3 seconds. With map, 11 seconds.

Perhaps I'd be better with low resolution static map that clicks through to the live location map?

From Smugmug
    With the amount of content that is being loaded, I would say these are expected speeds. You definitely have the option of uploading an image of a static map rather than our Map content block, that would definitely load a bit more quickly for you.

• Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins

Years ago I also wanted to use this feature on a page. It was so impossibly slow that I stopped using it.