Options

RESULTS: Mini Challenge #367: Water in Motion

sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins

OMG!!! I think this is the toughest mini I've ever had to (been lucky enought to) judge. For me, every single one of these shots deserved to win. But since there has to be one winner to lead the next mini, I had to make a difficult choice.

@slpollett your first and third shots were my favorites. I'd say it was well worth the effort to set that camera on the bridge railing in the first shot - you achieved a really nice "smooth water" effect.

@sapphire73 I really loved the angle you used on that first shot of the waterfall in NZ! Although I liked the second shot, I'm not quite sure that the moving water is the principal subject.

@grandmaR The second shot (Yellowstone Falls) was my favorite of your three. What I liked is because of the presence of the people on the viewing platform, how I really got a feel for the size and power of the falls. It must be really loud!

@thetidewaterforge ( @Smithy ) Wow! now that's what I call moving water! I felt as though I was right there - great capture.

@bfluegie Loved all three shots (although #3 looked somewhat familiar to me???). In the first picture I especially enjoyed the balance between the surf-worn rocks in the foreground, the big splash in the middle of the picture and the calming line of the ocean on the horizon.

@Cavalier Your shot of Fern Spring is really beautiful. I could just feel myself standing there with the water burbling by on a sunny spring morning. The "Water Ballet" is also a stunning shot - love those dark, smooth stones with that smooth water running over them.

@shawnc Three wonderful shots!. Great timing on that first shot, getting the surfer wiping out on the very top of that wave - I can feel the power and weight of that water. My slight critique of the 2nd shot (Blue Moon...) is that you used so much light to make the exposure long and the water smooth that it's hard for me to discern that it's actually water - the surface looks almost like smooth stones. Great B+W treatment on the Oregon Coast shot - it was easy to imagine the sound of the wind and the surf crashing on the rocks.

3rd Place: @bfluegie 1) Incoming

2nd Place: @Smithy ( @thetidewaterforge )

1st Place: @shawnc 3) Oregon Coast

Thanks to all for entering - Shawn, I'm look forward to the next mini!

Comments

• Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2024

Thanks for running this mini and I wouldn't have wanted to have to judge it. I really liked the fact that Shawn's photo of the Oregon coast was in black and white - it made it more powerful somehow.

The Yellowstone falls was my favorite of my entries too. I was trying to get both the upper and lower falls in the same shot but it can't be done. At least not by me. I was trying to replicate my dad's photos of Yellowstone from 1948

The top one is my dad's in July 1948 and the bottom one is mine in June 2010

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins

Congrats @shawnc . I really like your black & white Oregon Coast, too. Well deserved win! The Lower Falls at Yellowstone is one of my favorite waterfalls. The platform at the top of the falls is really cool. Yes, the noise is very loud and you really get a sense of the power of the water fall. The view down river from that platform is pretty awesome, too. :)

Congrats to all and thanks for a great mini topic. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Sherry P.

• Options
    shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins

Thank you Sara and others who participate. So many great shots!!
    I will have something up tomorrow. Thank you again

• Options
    bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 739 Major grins

Sara @sarasphotos, Thanks for running a great challenge, and thanks for selecting my Oahu north shore wave for third place. Congrats to Shawn @shawnc for the win and @Smithy for second place.
    As for my entry #3, I posted a B&W version on this site a few years ago but this is the first time I have posted the color version on Dgrin (unless my list is not correct). However I did post it elsewhere online recently. Perhaps you saw it there?

~~Barbara
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins

@bfluegie said:
    Sara @sarasphotos, Thanks for running a great challenge, and thanks for selecting my Oahu north shore wave for third place. Congrats to Shawn @shawnc for the win and @Smithy for second place.
    As for my entry #3, I posted a B&W version on this site a few years ago but this is the first time I have posted the color version on Dgrin (unless my list is not correct). However I did post it elsewhere online recently. Perhaps you saw it there?

I'm impressed that you keep a list of your posted photos! Maybe I remember the b+w version. At any rate, in color or b+w it's a lovely picture!

• Options
    SmithySmithy Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins

I appreciate the love for mine, thank you. It's also on the Oregon Coast, down near Devil's Churn. The waves break so spectacularly over the mussel-covered rocks there, and it's one of my favorites of all my time on the coast.

Can't wait to see what's next!

Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

and my other hobby... tidewaterforge.com
  • Options
    bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 739 Major grins

Sara @sarasphotos, I started the list after I posted the same photo twice over a short period of time in one of the themed threads :#. I didn't get any comments about it, but I decided to keep track (and maybe satisfy my obsessive tendencies at the same time).

~~Barbara