Options

Solar Eclipse - April 8, 2024

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins

I didn't see a thread here, so let me be the first! We went up to Fishers, Indiana, just northeast of Indianapolis, for the eclipse. That's an 8-hour drive from home, drove up Sunday - I'm not an astrophysicist, but we did stay at a Holiday Inn Express! We watched from the hotel parking lot with a couple dozen other folks. We had some high, thin cirrus clouds that really didn't affect our shots. This is the second eclipse that I've experienced totality - I was out for the 2017 show as well - and it is an absolutely amazing sight to see!

Please feel free to add your photos to this thread; I look forward to seeing what everyone was able to capture!

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited April 11, 2024

Very nice poster-like presentation. Will you be placing that up at SpaceWeather.com? It is very worthy of the tons of eyes at that site.

We were just west of Vincennes at the Lawrenceville-Vincennes Airport. Seeing was great. Got the entire sequence, again. 2017 was slightly better, but the important thing was this was my wife's first total eclipse and she could not have been more excited having seen it live. I'm getting the gallery together and adding as I go. Eventually I'll have a poster presentation too. I had not thought we'd get such large prominences and so many of them. I'm trying to figure out why it was brighter on the ground at totality this time vs. last time - which was completely pitch black as night.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options

Thank you, David! I hadn't thought about SpaceWeather.com, but I may need to submit this. My girlfriend was a little hesitant about coming along for work-related reasons, but I convinced her 99% wasn't the same as 100%. She was so glad she came!

• Options
    edited April 11, 2024

A quick and dirty early edit of one of the 2024 totals from the Lawrenceville-Vincennes Airport. Still looking through many hundreds of bracketed exposures. AFAIK, none were OOF, thank goodness.

Totality 2024

My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2024

@moose135 said:
    Thank you, David! I hadn't thought about SpaceWeather.com, but I may need to submit this. My girlfriend was a little hesitant about coming along for work-related reasons, but I convinced her 99% wasn't the same as 100%. She was so glad she came!

Exactly!

My Smugmug
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator

I'm not surprised to find fancy lens types here:

Nice work, everyone.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2024

That's funny, Richard. I included your above XKCD cartoon in Moose's identical thread over at "The Other Place" too before you placed it up here. :D

My Smugmug
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

Awesome event and awesome shots!

• Options
    redgillesredgilles Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins

Great shots. It was a fantastic event. I hope I'm still around for the next in 20 years. My shots didn't turn out as well as I would have hoped due to tripod failure (it kept drifting and loosing the sun) my fault. My question is, now that I have decent handheld shots, I need to combine my individual images into one image. I have not used any modern software and am asking advice for current decent editing software to create progressive image. I have a Nikon D300s (I'll use it for some video as well) and work with Apple products. I used a basic photoshop about 20 years ago.

• Options

@redgilles, I used Photoshop to put together my first image. I don't know if something like PS Elements or Gimp could work for you. I've not used either of those, so I'm not sure what you can or cannot do with them.

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

@moose135 said:
    I didn't see a thread here, so let me be the first! We went up to Fishers, Indiana, just northeast of Indianapolis, for the eclipse. That's an 8-hour drive from home, drove up Sunday - I'm not an astrophysicist, but we did stay at a Holiday Inn Express! We watched from the hotel parking lot with a couple dozen other folks. We had some high, thin cirrus clouds that really didn't affect our shots. This is the second eclipse that I've experienced totality - I was out for the 2017 show as well - and it is an absolutely amazing sight to see!

Great work, John. That first compilation is the very best of that genre that I've seen. Kudos to you.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options

Thank you so much, Tom! Really appreciate it!

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins

I love your photos, and the cartoons, too. :)

We live in the path of totality for this eclipse, so I didn't have to travel at all to see my first total eclipse. We had some fairly thick, but intermittent cloud cover all morning leading up to the big show. We caught a break and had some clearing during most of the time of totality. It was pretty awesome. I've never tried to photograph the sun or an eclipse before, so I didn't have a clue what I was really doing. I got a few images that I like, but my images showing the prominences were not super sharp, which was disappointing. Still, it was a fun experience and I have enjoyed seeing everyone else's photos of the event.

Sherry