PDA

View Full Version : The SmugMug and Lightroom 3 Publish Services Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Andy
Sep-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Update: Latest version 1.0.2.15 (http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/121321)

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/991139443_kHmu4-M.jpg

Love Lightroom? So do we. Download the latest version from Adobe and see a familiar face under Publishing Services.

If you don't see it yet, click Lightroom's Help > Check for Updates... option to get it.

Set it up and sync your account in seconds. From there you can import, organize, edit and publish to your SmugMug site... all from one place. Need help? Look here (http://www.smugmug.com/help/lightroom-upload).

And it's never been a better time to be Smug: Open a new trial account through Lightroom 3 and automatically get 20% off your first year. Adobe is also sharing a sweet 15% discount (http://www.smugmug.com/help/adobe-lightroom) for Smuggers when they purchase Lightroom 3 or any Adobe product.

Questions? Comments? Please post right here in this thread. We're watching. :wave

ToxMox
Sep-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Cool. :) I guess the obvious question is how does this compare to Jeffrey Friedl's plugin?

Andrew Maiman
Sep-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Cool. :) I guess the obvious question is how does this compare to Jeffrey Friedl's plugin?

I have the same question. I've been using the wonderful Friedl plug-ins for a long time now, so I'll probably continue to do so.

Does the Smugmug official plug-in allow for association (in the publish collection) with images that were already previously uploaded? The Friedl plug-in does.

It's a good thing that Smugmug was able to partner with Adobe, and I think their plug-in will be great for those who aren't already using something else, but it's ashame that so much work has to be duplicated when there was already a perfectly good plug-in out there.

I assume Smugmug will allow Jeffrey to continue developing his plug-in (and I hope he'll still be willing to do so and continue to have the assistance from Smugmug that he's had in the past).

Andy
Sep-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Andrew & Tox - why not just try it? There's no charge of course and you can judge for yourself.

PilotBrad
Sep-01-2010, 03:52 PM
I tried using it two days ago but received some sort of "system time" error when I tried to authenticate to SM. Perhaps it really wasn't live yet?

I'll try again later.

racer
Sep-01-2010, 04:03 PM
I just installed lightroom for the first time today, opened it up, and the very first thing I noticed was the green smugmug icon! :bow(then I decided to pop over here to see if it has been posted about) Setting it up to work with smugmug is the easy part, now I just need to figure out how to use lightroom :rofl

devbobo
Sep-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I tried using it two days ago but received some sort of "system time" error when I tried to authenticate to SM. Perhaps it really wasn't live yet?

I'll try again later.

Brad,

Can you please double check that your computer's system clock is set correctly, and post a screenshot (or the text) of the error message if you are still getting it.

Thanks,

David

kwalsh
Sep-01-2010, 04:39 PM
As I've said elsewhere, very cool!

One feature question though, I suppose future question. I like to keep the IPTC metadata as it should be. Title is a title, caption is a caption and so forth. But on Smugmug there is just a caption, and I like it to include the IPTC title a certain way, the IPTC caption, and then the IPTC copyright. Jeffery's most awesome plug-in supports this. Are there plans for the smugmug publish to allow us to do useful things translating the wealth of real-world metadata into the limited fields available on smugmug?

And thanks for the great work!

Ken

davidzvi
Sep-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Question:

In the instructions is sounds like you can sync your site to Lightroom. I was able to sync the list of galleries but not images. I don't need the images downloaded but it would be nice to get image counts. Am I missing something in the instructions?

devbobo
Sep-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Question:

In the instructions is sounds like you can sync your site to Lightroom. I was able to sync the list of galleries but not images. I don't need the images downloaded but it would be nice to get image counts. Am I missing something in the instructions?

Hey David,

Image syncing didn't make the release (we had a very tight timeframe). I have image syncing working in a very basic form in my current development build. It still needs some work but it will be available at some point.

Cheers,

David

Linh
Sep-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Question:

I don't think you can, smugmug wouldn't know what to sync with what in your catalog (or rather, the publishing service wouldn't know). It's more from here on out I believe.

such a shame too, I just uploaded a whole bunch of stuff a couple of weeks ago.. ugh.

Pixoul
Sep-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Image syncing didn't make the release (we had a very tight timeframe). I have image syncing working in a very basic form in my current development build. It still needs some work but it will be available at some point.

Will syncing associate images in Lightroom with images already uploaded to SmugMug or just re-download all SmugMug images back into Lightroom and make a second copy? My http://photos.hamorhollow.com/ site has a few thousand photos I've been maintaining with jf SmugMug.

Also will you have multiple account support?

Thanks muchly!

davidzvi
Sep-01-2010, 05:37 PM
How about this:

If I were to move the images into lightroom under the correct gallery in the publish area would the plug in recognize them?

devbobo
Sep-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Will syncing associate images in Lightroom with images already uploaded to SmugMug or just re-download all SmugMug images back into Lightroom and make a second copy? My http://photos.hamorhollow.com/ site has a few thousand photos I've been maintaining with jf SmugMug.

Also will you have multiple account support?

Thanks muchly!

Image syncing will search the local LR catalog for the images already on SmugMug and automagically hooked them up. We may also provide an option that allows photos on SmugMug and not in the local LR catalog to be downloaded.

Multiple accounts is already supported...
http://img.skitch.com/20100902-tqij7wnc4p17ib8e6dyi5pah44.png

Right-click on the SmugMug banner of an existing Publish Service and select 'Create Another Publish Service via "SmugMug"'

http://img.skitch.com/20100902-fq2j83d72iwmhiqeqi8urnqqwj.png

Cheers,

David

devbobo
Sep-01-2010, 05:46 PM
I don't think you can, smugmug wouldn't know what to sync with what in your catalog (or rather, the publishing service wouldn't know). It's more from here on out I believe.

such a shame too, I just uploaded a whole bunch of stuff a couple of weeks ago.. ugh.

no, that's actually not correct.

DonRicklin
Sep-01-2010, 05:49 PM
How about this:

If I were to move the images into lightroom under the correct gallery in the publish area would the plug in recognize them?

I have been using Friedl's SM publish for awhile. Publish Smart Collections won't recognize an already published image. Normal Publish collections are supposed to sync but will still only catch 10 to 50% of images already at SM in my experience.

Hopefully this will be rectified in time. I already had 1.5k images in 80+ galleries, too not easy to get things matched, as Published you can, at least have all the correct images in the right Collections, they just might not reflect the proper Published state.

You can 'Publish' select images by holding Alt/Opt down and the button at the bottom of the Left Panel changes to Publish Select from just Publish.

Don

Pixoul
Sep-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Image syncing will search the local LR catalog for the images already on SmugMug and automagically hooked them up. We may also provide an option that allows photos on SmugMug and not in the local LR catalog to be downloaded.

Werd. Rock on. Any ETA on this? I love jf SmugMug but keep running into "wrong format ()" upload errors when updating existing images.

Speaking of which, will your LR3 sync support updating existing images and metadata? That's the feature that sold me on jf SmugMug; being able to batch upload updated descriptions and metadata and also automatically publish new versions of photos (now if only it worked reliably).

Multiple accounts is already supported...

Ha, I found it seconds before I came back to the thread. Thanks muchly!

devbobo
Sep-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Werd. Rock on. Any ETA on this? I love jf SmugMug but keep running into "wrong format ()" upload errors when updating existing images.

In short no :D
I have a proof of concept working...that works really well, but it's actually a lot more complex than you might think, I need to do conflict resolution etc if multiple images matching the search criteria are returned.

Speaking of which, will your LR3 sync support updating existing images and metadata? That's the feature that sold me on jf SmugMug; being able to batch upload updated descriptions and metadata and also automatically publish new versions of photos (now if only it worked reliably).

As long as LR knows about the image (ie. it appears within the published collection/gallery) any changes to the image or the metadata will result in the image being flagged for republishing. Note: this is standard LR publish service behaviour.

Pixoul
Sep-01-2010, 06:07 PM
In short no :D
I have a proof of concept working...that works really well, but it's actually a lot more complex than you might think, I need to do conflict resolution etc if multiple images matching the search criteria are returned.

haha That's what I figured. It was worth a shot! I guess another way to ask is are you tied to Adobe's release schedule or can SM update Plug-Ins on their own schedule?

As long as LR knows about the image (ie. it appears within the published collection/gallery) any changes to the image or the metadata will result in the image being flagged for republishing. Note: this is standard LR publish service behaviour.

Okay, I just uploaded an image fine using the new SmugMug Publish Service and it worked fine. I then updated the image by applying a filter and changed some of the metadata. I then got:

Some export operations were not performed
Upload timed out (1)
filename.dng

But it totally lied; when I reloaded my SmugMug page the image was updated. :dunno

devbobo
Sep-01-2010, 06:09 PM
How about this:

potentially...but it needs a bit of an explanation as to why.

Obviously, timeouts are things you need to deal with on the internet in general and not just with a given web service. But say we had the scenario where you had successfully uploaded an image to SmugMug and the plugin was just waiting for the response...and it received a timeout. The plugin would say ok, it failed...don't mark it as uploaded and the next time you published the gallery...you would end up with a duplicate image as the original upload was successful...but we just never got the response.

So this is a scenario, I actively attempt to avoid...before I upload I iterate the images in the SmugMug gallery and check for a match on the filename and the size of the rendered file....if I find a match, I don't upload the photo and just make an API call that updates image metadata.

So to answer you're question...yes it will potentially work, if you know the quality setting that was originally used to export/upload the photos originally...set the SmugMug plugin to that quality...and try it was a few images.

Cheers,

David

devbobo
Sep-01-2010, 06:12 PM
But it totally lied; when I reloaded my SmugMug page the image was updated. :dunno

well, it didn't actually lie...it timed out waiting for the response from SmugMug. Can you please link me to the gallery for that image ?

Thanks,

David

misterb
Sep-01-2010, 06:17 PM
What should I do.. I have both listed, but it asks to be linked with a "lr_plugin" directory and I only see J Freidl's folder in Win7.

Is one better than the other?

Pixoul
Sep-01-2010, 06:19 PM
well, it didn't actually lie...it timed out waiting for the response from SmugMug. Can you please link me to the gallery for that image ?

Sure; I've re-done the test in a public gallery by applying a filter, cropping, and changing some metadata:

* http://photos.pixoulphotography.com/Other/Support/10220252_JLjhW#991415201_cmdPj

It successfully uploaded the new image, gave me the same timeout error, left the image in Modified Photos to Re-Publish, and didn't update the metadata in the SmugMug gallery.

devbobo
Sep-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Sure; I've re-done the test in a public gallery by applying a filter, cropping, and changing some metadata:

* http://photos.pixoulphotography.com/Other/Support/10220252_JLjhW#991415201_cmdPj

It successfully uploaded the new image, gave me the same timeout error, left the image in Modified Photos to Re-Publish, and didn't update the metadata in the SmugMug gallery.

Sean,

How big is the original dng ? Can you zip and email it to david @ smugmug or make available to download somewhere ?

Cheers,

David

misterb
Sep-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Subscribing

Pixoul
Sep-01-2010, 06:54 PM
How big is the original dng ? Can you zip and email it to david @ smugmug or make available to download somewhere ?

11.7 MB from an EOS 40D; zipped original emailed. Thanks!

davidzvi
Sep-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Hopefully this will be rectified in time. I already had 1.5k images in 80+ galleries, too not easy to get things matched

I shoot weddings and Mitzvahs so I'm looking at maybe 200 galleries all total online and I think I uploaded more than 2k images so far this year.

So matching maybe a tall order.

PilotBrad
Sep-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Can you please double check that your computer's system clock is set correctly, and post a screenshot (or the text) of the error message if you are still getting it.
David,

Below is the error I was getting. I was able to workaround this by changing the automatic time settings on my PC from time.windows.com to time.nist.gov.

LayneMarie-Tiffany
Sep-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Just tried to upload from LR for the first time. It worked, but it put the big "PROOF" watermark on the photos. I made sure that I did not select the option for the watermark as I use the gallery setting on SmugMug... Is this a glitch or am I missing something else?

devbobo
Sep-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Just tried to upload from LR for the first time. It worked, but it put the big "PROOF" watermark on the photos. I made sure that I did not select the option for the watermark as I use the gallery setting on SmugMug... Is this a glitch or am I missing something else?

Got a url for the gallery ?

devbobo
Sep-02-2010, 02:32 AM
David,

Below is the error I was getting. I was able to workaround this by changing the automatic time settings on my PC from time.windows.com to time.nist.gov.

Brad,

Is your timezone set correctly ?

Cheers,

David

DonRicklin
Sep-02-2010, 02:53 AM
I shoot weddings and Mitzvahs so I'm looking at maybe 200 galleries all total online and I think I uploaded more than 2k images so far this year.

So matching maybe a tall order.THat is exactly why I am hoping both SmugMug and Adobe can get things worked out so that LR will recognize when an image is already at SM. I know Jeffrey Friedl is doing what he can (and he's the best) within the LR SDK and what can be gotten on the SM side.

:D
We can only hope for the future. :thumb

Don

devbobo
Sep-02-2010, 02:57 AM
THat is exactly why I am hoping both SmugMug and Adobe can get things worked out so that LR will recognize when an image is already at SM. I know Jeffrey Friedl is doing what he can (and he's the best) within the LR SDK and what can be gotten on the SM side.

We can only hope for the future. :thumb

Don

Don,

It's actually not a tall order, I can't talk for what Jeffrey is doing...but my proof of concept is working surprisingly well.

Cheers,

David

LayneMarie-Tiffany
Sep-02-2010, 08:47 AM
I figured it out. It was operator error. :) Somehow I missed selecting my watermark in the gallery setting, once I checked that, it worked perfectly. Uploaded 126 photos with no problems.

Icebear
Sep-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Like many of us (I suppose) I have LR3.2 on both my laptop and desktop. I'm guessing it's a bad idea to have the "Publish to Smugmug" set up on both machines ? ? ?

PilotBrad
Sep-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Is your timezone set correctly ?

Yup.

Edit: I should add that I tried changing the time zone to something else, then changed it back to "Pacific", and I still got the error. I also have auto-DST turned on.

kygarden
Sep-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Sorry if this has been asked already, but I don't yet understand why the photos remain in the gallery I see in the Smugmug area of LR 3 now. For example, I drag a photo from my library into a gallery down in the Smugmug publish area or LR 3. I understand how to publish it so it uploads to the gallery, but I'm not sure why it stays there in that publish area now. Is that just to show me I've already uploaded that photo to that gallery? I'd just assume it disappear from there so I can easily spot new photos I drag in and publish. Can someone explain this to me and how I can make best use of this?

I have one photo that I uploaded and right now in LR it shows in that smugmug publish area for the gallery i sent it to and it's marked 'Deleted Photos to Remove'. What's this mean?

trancetheman
Sep-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi. I'm new to the forum but not to LR. I don't seem to be able to publish movies using the LR3.2 SM built in plugin. I have in the preference for SM "include movies" but there's no way to check box the item. If I try dragging a movie into the created SM gallery under publishing service, a dialogue box pops up informing me that This service does not support video. Am I missing something? Thanks, great forum BTW. :D

Linh
Sep-02-2010, 04:14 PM
no, that's actually not correct.
wow, really? I don't see where I can do this. All I have showing is my gallery hierarchy but no images in anything.

devbobo
Sep-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Sorry if this has been asked already, but I don't yet understand why the photos remain in the gallery I see in the Smugmug area of LR 3 now. For example, I drag a photo from my library into a gallery down in the Smugmug publish area or LR 3. I understand how to publish it so it uploads to the gallery, but I'm not sure why it stays there in that publish area now. Is that just to show me I've already uploaded that photo to that gallery? I'd just assume it disappear from there so I can easily spot new photos I drag in and publish. Can someone explain this to me and how I can make best use of this?

I have one photo that I uploaded and right now in LR it shows in that smugmug publish area for the gallery i sent it to and it's marked 'Deleted Photos to Remove'. What's this mean?

Think of these along the line of a typical LR collection...but a LR collection is only local. This is a Published Collection...the only difference is that the images also reside on SmugMug.

Changes are only propagated to SmugMug when you click the 'Publish' button, so to make your life easier to see what changes are outstanding, LR shows the changes that will be made next time you click the 'Publish' button.

http://img.skitch.com/20100903-frq68ap3p8cscpkafms5rd77yx.png

That make sense ?

Cheers,

David

devbobo
Sep-02-2010, 04:22 PM
wow, really? I don't see where I can do this. All I have showing is my gallery hierarchy but no images in anything.

it doesn't happen yet, I'm working on the functionality at the moment...well in between answering questions :D

Linh
Sep-02-2010, 04:31 PM
it doesn't happen yet, I'm working on the functionality at the moment...well in between answering questions :D

i just read the responses I missed, heh. well, here's to it working :1drink

devbobo
Sep-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Hi. I'm new to the forum but not to LR. I don't seem to be able to publish movies using the LR3.2 SM built in plugin. I have in the preference for SM "include movies" but there's no way to check box the item. If I try dragging a movie into the created SM gallery under publishing service, a dialogue box pops up informing me that This service does not support video. Am I missing something? Thanks, great forum BTW. :D

G'day Trance,

Video uploading was disabled in the initial release for a few different reasons/issues on both the Adobe and SmugMug sides.

We're definitely be enabling it as soon as we can.

Cheers,

David

BradfordBenn
Sep-02-2010, 06:15 PM
This one is an edge case, but it required me to do a force quit of Lightroom.

I am running a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.6.4, using the internal display with a resolution of 1440 x 900. Using Lightroom 3.2 and experimenting with Smart Collections and Advanced Gallery Settings in Lightroom. When I did that it created a dialog box too large for my screen and I could not exit out/advance from it. The results look like this (click for larger)

http://photos.bradfordbenn.com/photos/992571463_BKEXi-S.png (http://photos.bradfordbenn.com/photos/992571463_BKEXi-XL.png)

Steps to recreate the issue
1) Set resolution to 1440x900 (highest option for my internal display)
2) Launch LR3.2
3) Define Publishing service for SmugMug
4) Under SmugMug Settings select Show Advanced Gallery Dialog
5) Save settings
6) Right Click (there might be another way but this is how I got there) on the SmugMug Publish Service in the left hand pane. Select "Create Smart Gallery"
7) On my machine I did not have access to the Cancel and Create buttons
8) Force Quit was only way I had to exit that dialog box.

Let me know if you have any questions or need more information.

BradfordBenn
Sep-02-2010, 06:20 PM
I wasn't sure whether to put a bug here or under the Bug Forum, so I stuck one under the bug forum (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1453349#post1453349). First attempt at using it and I broke it :huh Man I got mad Skillz! I am still holding up a software release at work also:rofl

Still way cool. Might not need SmugMug's MacDaddy anymore...

barri
Sep-02-2010, 07:19 PM
found a bug in this plugin: If I try to use any of my newly created gallery presets from the drop-down menu, I always get an error mesage. Only no preset or the Smugmug default work.

devbobo
Sep-02-2010, 07:43 PM
found a bug in this plugin: If I try to use any of my newly created gallery presets from the drop-down menu, I always get an error mesage. Only no preset or the Smugmug default work.

Hi Barri,

What is the error message that you are receiving ?

Thanks,

David

devbobo
Sep-02-2010, 07:46 PM
I wasn't sure whether to put a bug here or under the Bug Forum, so I stuck one under the bug forum (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1453349#post1453349). First attempt at using it and I broke it :huh Man I got mad Skillz! I am still holding up a software release at work also:rofl

Still way cool. Might not need SmugMug's MacDaddy anymore...

G'day Bradford,

Thanks for that...I think I can put in a workaround that forces LR to use the simple version of the dialog if the screen isn't tall enough to display it. But until then, you might have to uncheck 'Show Advanced Gallery Dialog'.

Cheers,

David

trancetheman
Sep-02-2010, 08:31 PM
G'day Trance,

Video uploading was disabled in the initial release for a few different reasons/issues on both the Adobe and SmugMug sides.

Cheers,

David

Thanks very much David for explaining.

kygarden
Sep-03-2010, 02:28 AM
Think of these along the line of a typical LR collection...but a LR collection is only local. This is a Published Collection...the only difference is that the images also reside on SmugMug.

Changes are only propagated to SmugMug when you click the 'Publish' button, so to make your life easier to see what changes are outstanding, LR shows the changes that will be made next time you click the 'Publish' button.

That make sense ?

Cheers,

David

Ok, yes that helps.

leftquark
Sep-03-2010, 10:37 AM
I ran into an issue with the SmugMug Publish today. I have my Publish set to upload JPG's at 100% quality. I'd prefer to upload photos with the least-compression possible (yes, there are pro's and cons for uploading anywhere between 80-90% but as a signal processing guy I prefer to leave my pixels as the camera took them).

Many of my shots when exported to JPG are greater than 12mb. I'm not sure why Lightroom keeps making large JPG's (shot on a D300s at 12.1mp) but a lot of the photos resulted in errors because the JPG's were too large.

Do I have to temporarily change the Publish settings to either a lower quality or do limit the resolution in order to get those photos to upload? Then I can change it back to full quality?

jfriend
Sep-03-2010, 10:54 AM
I ran into an issue with the SmugMug Publish today. I have my Publish set to upload JPG's at 100% quality. I'd prefer to upload photos with the least-compression possible (yes, there are pro's and cons for uploading anywhere between 80-90% but as a signal processing guy I prefer to leave my pixels as the camera took them).

Many of my shots when exported to JPG are greater than 12mb. I'm not sure why Lightroom keeps making large JPG's (shot on a D300s at 12.1mp) but a lot of the photos resulted in errors because the JPG's were too large.

Do I have to temporarily change the Publish settings to either a lower quality or do limit the resolution in order to get those photos to upload? Then I can change it back to full quality?Look, I appreciate the science of this too and that would make a lot of sense if these were your pristine backups and wanted to preserve maximum editing capabilities in the future. But, I keep my pristine images backed up separately (they're RAW images in my workflow) and I use Smugmug optimally for different purposes.

For most people, the primary purpose of Smugmug is for web display or print ordering and saving at 100% instead of 90% in Lightroom is causing you uploading problems and is not improving ANY of the primary purposes of Smugmug. There will be no difference in your web display or even ridiculously large prints with 90% instead of 100%, yet your uploads will go significantly faster and without errors for being oversize. I think it simply doesn't make sense to upload at 100%.

You may also want to read this excellent article (http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality) that discusses the different JPEG compression levels in Lightroom.

If you really want pristine online backups, I'd suggest signing up for BackBlaze, a real backup service that can be used for all your file types, not just images. Individual files are allowed up to 4GB. It's $50/yr for unlimited backup storage quantity. I have almost 1TB backed up with them.

DonRicklin
Sep-03-2010, 11:20 AM
The recommend upload from LR is 92 AFAIK. and not larger than 25Mb for originals. As mentioned, this should no affect viewing or printing from SM.

Don

BradfordBenn
Sep-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Howdy, not trying to beat a horse, offering up more items to study. I had a very similar problem as Pixoul with images timing out on re-upload with just changed metadata. So basically a replace of the metadata everything else the same. However if I delete the images from the gallery first then publish, works perfectly.

They are DNGs from a Canon XTi.

Still think it is very cool, and everything that has impacted me has a work around so I am not complaining.

devbobo
Sep-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Howdy, not trying to beat a horse, offering up more items to study. I had a very similar problem as Pixoul with images timing out on re-upload with just changed metadata. So basically a replace of the metadata everything else the same. However if I delete the images from the gallery first then publish, works perfectly.

They are DNGs from a Canon XTi.

Still think it is very cool, and everything that has impacted me has a work around so I am not complaining.

Hey Bradford,

I'm working with Pixoul offline to try to resolve. I'll ping you if I need additional assistance.

Thanks,

David

MongoJohnson1
Sep-03-2010, 03:34 PM
I certainly welcome any input on the ability to have Smugmug use all the grading/sorting and metadata Lightroom can provide.

Golly, now it's all a two-step bit of work and our current archive isn't getting any use out of Lightroom . .. We have to add keywords and such THERE (Extensive Portfolio) -- we may be missing a step.

Our hope is to touch the pix ONCE in lightroom and get 'em all catagorized there.

As I've said elsewhere, very cool!

One feature question though, I suppose future question. I like to keep the IPTC metadata as it should be. Title is a title, caption is a caption and so forth. But on Smugmug there is just a caption, and I like it to include the IPTC title a certain way, the IPTC caption, and then the IPTC copyright. Jeffery's most awesome plug-in supports this. Are there plans for the smugmug publish to allow us to do useful things translating the wealth of real-world metadata into the limited fields available on smugmug?

And thanks for the great work!

Ken

Flowerman
Sep-04-2010, 06:19 AM
Hi: Don't know if this is the correct spot for this problem - admids - please transfer if necessary.
Since uploading LR3,2 publish to SmugMug has been a chore - to say the least. In a nutshell I am unable to login to SmugMug.
The Heros at SmugMug have been trying each and everything at their disposal to no avail. Some additional info:
The Heros can log in and move around the various Galleries. I can Log in the first time after a temp password is given but am unable to continue in the Control Panel to change to a permanent password - I am brought back to the signin window which will not accept the temp password - a new temp password starts the process all over again. I have Adobe Flash loaded in 32bit Windows 7 - normally use 64bit - have Safari Browser - all to no avail.
Extra note: I am not computer savy - my son, who is away on a business trip does all of my setting up - this is a new PC laptop with all of the latest bells and whistles.
My publish setup for Flickr appears to be working fine. I have a backup of my data drive which is before Lifhtroom 3.2 on an outside drive but have no experience with restore - process of removing old and restoring to before LR3.2.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
ED
www.photoman74.smugmug.com (74is my age)

HELP PLEASE...

54Blake
Sep-04-2010, 07:13 AM
I LOVE this new feature, but I do have one quick question. I use multiple catalogs as a way to categorize my shoots. It looks like I have to set up my SmugMug account every time I create a new catalog.

Is there an option to set up my SmugMug account as the default and then every new catalog I create will automatically have my SmugMug account authenticated as a publication source?

Thanks for the awesome upgrade!

mjohnston
Sep-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Hi, thanks for developing this plugin. I have a few questions that I haven’t been able to answer using help or browsing the web.

1. If I change metadata, but not development settings, is the whole image re-rendered and uploaded? Ideally, of course, just the metadata updates would be transmitted.

2. My multi-word keywords all appear to be broken up into single word keywords on the Smugmug side. Is there any way to keep the keywords 'whole'?

Thanks!

Andy
Sep-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Hi, thanks for developing this plugin. I have a few questions that I haven’t been able to answer using help or browsing the web.

1. If I change metadata, but not development settings, is the whole image re-rendered and uploaded? Ideally, of course, just the metadata updates would be transmitted.

2. My multi-word keywords all appear to be broken up into single word keywords on the Smugmug side. Is there any way to keep the keywords 'whole'?

Thanks!
We'll re-render new copies on SM. Multi-word keywords should be separated by commas

kwdone kwdtwo, kwdthree, kwdfour

etc

devbobo
Sep-04-2010, 02:58 PM
I LOVE this new feature, but I do have one quick question. I use multiple catalogs as a way to categorize my shoots. It looks like I have to set up my SmugMug account every time I create a new catalog.

Is there an option to set up my SmugMug account as the default and then every new catalog I create will automatically have my SmugMug account authenticated as a publication source?

Unfortunately, Lightroom doesn't support this.

Cheers,

David

devbobo
Sep-04-2010, 03:52 PM

That's our preference as well, but unfortunately that's a limitation of the plugin architecture...at the point the image is being exported, I have no way to determine why the image is being republished.

Cheers,

David

Flowerman
Sep-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks but no thanks - I am not going to play around with this Publish thing - I have cancelled my SmugMug setup and will now cancel my Flickr setup.
ED

Andy
Sep-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks but no thanks - I am not going to play around with this Publish thing - I have cancelled my SmugMug setup and will now cancel my Flickr setup.
ED

Ed I have your tickets on the help desk now and I'm going to help you personally :)

ebwest
Sep-04-2010, 05:35 PM

I'm no expert with LR, but you may want to check on a few LR specific forums about your use of multiple catalogs to categorize your photos, from what I read about it, you may be defeating one of the major reasons for using LR. It would make it much simpler to use the Publish feature also. Here's a few links:

http://lightroomkillertips.com/

http://www.lightroomforums.net/index.php

http://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom?view=discussions

If I'm butting in, just ignore me.

mjohnston
Sep-05-2010, 05:56 AM
We'll re-render new copies on SM. Multi-word keywords should be separated by commas

kwdone kwdtwo, kwdthree, kwdfour

etc

Hi Andy, thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm not quite sure that I understand, though.

EDIT: Removed further questions re: publishing metadata updates as I had missed that devbobo answered them.

On the keywords question, let me explain further. In Lightroom, I have a keyword "Shot by Mathew Johnston". This is a single keyword - it shows up in the Lightroom Keywording pane as a single item. However, when I upload this to SmugMug, the photo has 4 keywords:

1. By
2. Mathew
3. Johnston
4. Shot

If I use the Web based SmugMug Tools > Caption/Keyword editor and enter, with quotes around it, "Shot by Mathew Johnston", SmugMug correctly records a single keyword.

It seems that the SmugMug publish functionality simply fails to maintain multi-word keywords as whole strings; in effect, forgetting to put them in quotes in order to keep them whole.

I hope that this can be fixed soon - it has made my keywording scheme rather useless for the time being! :)

Flowerman
Sep-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Thanks Andy - this has been a very frustrating week to say the least.
Ed

devbobo
Sep-05-2010, 01:38 PM
If I use the Web based SmugMug Tools > Caption/Keyword editor and enter, with quotes around it, "Shot by Mathew Johnston", SmugMug correctly records a single keyword.

This is to support some backwards compatiblity, if you want them to be imported as separate keywords on import they need to be comma separated as Andy originally outlined.

It's not a bug with the plugin, if you want to discuss in more detail, please open another thread.

Aperturefly
Sep-05-2010, 03:23 PM

Love Lightroom? So do we. Download the latest version from Adobe and see a familiar face under Publishing Services.

If you don't see it yet, click Lightroom's Help > Check for Updates... option to get it.

Set it up and sync your account in seconds. From there you can import, organize, edit and publish to your SmugMug site... all from one place. Need help? Look here (http://www.smugmug.com/help/lightroom-upload).

And it's never been a better time to be Smug: Open a new trial account through Lightroom 3 and automatically get 20% off your first year. Adobe is also sharing a sweet 15% discount (http://www.smugmug.com/help/adobe-lightroom) for Smuggers when they purchase Lightroom 3 or any Adobe product.

Questions? Comments? Please post right here in this thread. We're watching. :wave

Sweet for you all to love Lightroom, but where is the Love for Aperture 3.0 your plug-in hasn't done much since I started using it what are your plans if any to integrate better into Aperture 3.0??

Andy
Sep-06-2010, 06:12 AM
Sweet for you all to love Lightroom, but where is the Love for Aperture 3.0 your plug-in hasn't done much since I started using it what are your plans if any to integrate better into Aperture 3.0??

Have you tried this awesome plugin to Aperture?
http://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2010/8/30/from-aperture-to-smugmug-to-squarespace.html

sirshannon
Sep-06-2010, 11:28 AM
I created a new gallery in the new Lightroom Publishing Services area. It seemed simple enough. However, the "Quick Settings" setting apparently didn't stick. After I started uploading the photos, I checked the gallery on on my site and saw that they were getting the big "PROOF" watermark instead of the watermark used in my quick settings. I then right-clicked the SM gallery in Lightroom > Edit settings and saw that Quick Settings was set for Custom. I looked and didn't see anything different than it should have been other than the watermark being set for Default instead of my watermark.

So, at this point, the potential time saved is a wash because I will now have to fix this on SM and have the site re-watermark all of my images. Lame but not the end of the world.

But then I ran into this other problem and I have no idea how to fix it:

I was uploading 30 images, dragged from the Library module. I should have checked them better before I clicked "Publish" because there were 7 images at the end of the list that I didn't want uploaded. I clicked one of the images and pressed the "delete" key and it appeared to remove it from the upload list so I assumed that was the way to prevent those images from being uploaded. So I then clicked and deleted the other 6 images I didn't want uploaded.

When the publish job finished, those 7 images and 6 others (which happen to be the last 13 images of the original upload list) are now listed in the "Deleted Photos to Remove" section. I think I understand why the 7 I deleted are in that list (they were uploaded after I clicked delete and now need to be deleted?) but the other 6 should not be in this list and should not be deleted. This is a problem in and of itself but the bigger problem for me is that I don't know how to remove those 6 good images from the "to be deleted" list. Clicking them and pressing the delete key does not work. I have no idea what to do at this point other than to click "Publish" and let Lightroom delete the 13 photos and then re-upload the 6 that shouldn't have been deleted.

rsquared
Sep-06-2010, 03:09 PM
When the publish job finished, those 7 images and 6 others (which happen to be the last 13 images of the original upload list) are now listed in the "Deleted Photos to Remove" section. I think I understand why the 7 I deleted are in that list (they were uploaded after I clicked delete and now need to be deleted?) but the other 6 should not be in this list and should not be deleted. This is a problem in and of itself but the bigger problem for me is that I don't know how to remove those 6 good images from the "to be deleted" list. Clicking them and pressing the delete key does not work. I have no idea what to do at this point other than to click "Publish" and let Lightroom delete the 13 photos and then re-upload the 6 that shouldn't have been deleted.

Just a guess, but have you tried dragging those 6 from the library again? I'm guessing that should tell LR that you want them uploaded, and it would remove them from from the list to delete. If not, then your only option is probably what you guessed already...

BradfordBenn
Sep-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Found a situation that might be working as designed, but it is not telling the user that there is an error. It might not be directly related but all my testing indicated it was the cause. What is happening is that if multiple images are included in a Lightroom published online gallery are trying to be deleted the multiple images cannot be deleted at the same time as other multiple images not published within the local Lightroom catalog. There is no error indication of what is occuring. I was able to get Lightroom confused twice and working twice with the difference being multiple images I was trying to delete as part of a larger set was published to SmugMug via Lightroom.

I am using Lightroom 3.2 for Mac in 64 Bit mode under OS 10.6.4. My catalog is spread across two drives, one internal.

Here are the steps to recreate it (I put in image counts just for reference)

Open existing catalog of lots of images (13,675)
Have some images published up to SmugMug via Lightroom (11 in the gallery http://photos.bradfordbenn.com/Press/House-of-Worship-Exteriors/)
Mark some images in the catalog rejected (997 of which six were published up to SmugMug) [Since I had restored these images just for the article I did not need them on my hard drive - they were on the cloud already]
Continue to try to delete images using the select all, delete rejected photos commands... etc.
Mutter expletives under breath and start Google searches about why not deleting - no good results
Try deleting just from local drive, it works
Try deleting small number from external drive, it works
Continue to try larger and larger sets of items to be deleted (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 108) and they continue to work
Select a set and it does not delete, for some reason receive an error message stating "One or more of these photos are published on the service 'SmugMug'." First time I had received the error message, not sure what the difference was. Select cancel from the options presented.
Find the six images that are on SmugMug and mark them Unflagged (not rejected).
Execute the Delete Rejects command, and it deletes the remaining images. (634)

I tried it again with smaller numbers and it seems that once a group of rejects contained four images that were published to SmugMug the group cannot be deleted and there is no error indication.

Make sense?

Found the answers to the rest of my questions in this thread :barb

mjohnston
Sep-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Hi, I've noticed an odd behavior that I wonder if anyone else has seen.

I'm creating a new gallery and populating it through the Lightroom Publish function. During publishing, some of my photos move from a "New Photos to Publish" state to a "Modified Photos to Re-Publish" state instead of to the "Published Photos" state. These photos are successfully uploaded - I can see them in the gallery on the web. Why would these photos be incorrectly listed as being modified?

Thanks!
Mat

DonRicklin
Sep-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Did you do anything at all, metadata or otherwise with them after clicking the "Publish" button? any change will do this!

Don

ebwest
Sep-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Here's an excellent explanation of the LR Publishing service, at least it helped me understand a few things.

http://www.tipsquirrel.com/index.php/2010/09/lightroom-3-publish-services/

mjohnston
Sep-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Did you do anything at all, metadata or otherwise with them after clicking the "Publish" button? any change will do this!

Don

Nope, just clicked publish and from there it's been hands off the computer entirely. ebwest, I'll read that :)

roaming oregon
Sep-07-2010, 03:33 PM
I've been super frustrated with the jf SmugMug plug in lately being super buggy and wasting my time when updating my site for clients- especially when I'm often in a press room or hotel. It's been screwing with my normal workflow. Very pleased to see this new option. I'm going to give it a go and see how it works.

First upload (just an update to an existing gallery) worked great so there is hope if the other plug-in is failing you too...

mjohnston
Sep-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Nope, just clicked publish and from there it's been hands off the computer entirely. ebwest, I'll read that :)

This appears to be a bug in Lightroom and affects all publish services: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3099284

54Blake
Sep-09-2010, 05:25 AM
I'm no expert with LR, but you may want to check on a few LR specific forums about your use of multiple catalogs to categorize your photos, from what I read about it, you may be defeating one of the major reasons for using LR. It would make it much simpler to use the Publish feature also. Here's a few links:

http://lightroomkillertips.com/

http://www.lightroomforums.net/index.php

http://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom?view=discussions

If I'm butting in, just ignore me.

You're not butting in at all. I was considering looking into lumping my shoots into one big catalog anyway. Thanks for the links. I'll read up on it.

Steel Phantom
Sep-10-2010, 06:45 AM
Hi,

Is there any chance of adding an output sharpening option to the Smugmug Publishing tool for Lightroom 3? It is the one feature of Jeffrey's plugin that I use that seems to be missing in your official tool.

Thanks!
Tom

Pindy
Sep-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Can it be set up that the order of my LR3 gallery is reflected when it is uploaded? I have my gallery settings to "none" in the sort settings and in LR3 the sort settings for the Publishing Services galleries are also "User Order" so theoretically I can move them myself but they don't seem to follow any order in particular. Can it be done?

Dave_Anderson
Sep-12-2010, 12:47 PM
I guess another way to ask is are you tied to Adobe's release schedule or can SM update Plug-Ins on their own schedule?

Maybe I just missed it, but I haven't seen an answer to this question. Care to comment?

devbobo
Sep-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Hi,

Is there any chance of adding an output sharpening option to the Smugmug Publishing tool for Lightroom 3? It is the one feature of Jeffrey's plugin that I use that seems to be missing in your official tool.

Thanks!
Tom

Hey Tom,

Yes, I'll be adding it back in the next release.

Cheers,

David

Digital Davo
Sep-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Not sure why no-one else is posting about this ...

when I use the new publish feature in 3.2 to publish to SmugMug, it strips the IPTC Title so that there is no caption when the photo arrives. The photo just shows up with "Digital Davo photo" as the caption.

The jf SmugMug export profile works fine wrt. Title -> Caption.

I do _not_ have Minimize Embedded Metadata set in the publish settings, so I am confused as to why this doesn't work properly. anyone?

chest2tank
Sep-13-2010, 12:12 PM
IT IS SOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Suggestions?

chest2tank
Sep-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Suggestions:

1 - Email, twitter, and other types of notifications would be super helpful. I would use them to notify myself when a large gallery has finished, and I could notify my customers when their particular gallery is ready. That would be especially useful when I have a large number of orders. Check out http://store.MotoHD.net/Motorcycles to see what I mean by "order."

2 - SPEED IT UP! I don't know why it's so slow, but it takes 5x longer than Freidl's export plugin to upload the same material.

axismundi
Sep-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Since I upgraded to LR 3.2 about 2 weeks ago, the "jf SmugMug" plugin doesn't operate anymore and I am forced to switch to the new SmugMug-plugin provided in LR 3.2.

It's not too bad, just I don't know how to apply the Mogrify-plugin in the new workflow. Previously, I used the Export-workflow to apply Mogrify and send to SmugMug using jf SmugMug.
Now with LR's SmugMug-plugin, you do not use the Export dialogue - you just drop your photos to the SmugMug-folder. Pretty cool, just I wonder how to apply Mogrify? Do I have to export to HardDisk, re-import to LR and then drop it into the SmugMug-folder?

serbaut
Sep-14-2010, 10:59 AM
I am getting an error while trying to apply a Quick Setting to a gallery in LR3.2.

"An internal error has occurred: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)"

ebwest
Sep-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Hope I haven't missed an answer, but when I re-publish a photo after making one or two minor corrections, no name change or anything. Am I supposed to have to go back into SM and remove the original published photos, or is the re-publsih itself supposed to remove the originals?

devbobo
Sep-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Since I upgraded to LR 3.2 about 2 weeks ago, the "jf SmugMug" plugin doesn't operate anymore and I am forced to switch to the new SmugMug-plugin provided in LR 3.2.

It's not too bad, just I don't know how to apply the Mogrify-plugin in the new workflow. Previously, I used the Export-workflow to apply Mogrify and send to SmugMug using jf SmugMug.
Now with LR's SmugMug-plugin, you do not use the Export dialogue - you just drop your photos to the SmugMug-folder. Pretty cool, just I wonder how to apply Mogrify? Do I have to export to HardDisk, re-import to LR and then drop it into the SmugMug-folder?

You are not forced to use SmugMug's plugin, for whatever reason Jeffrey's plugin may have become disabled during the upgrade. To re-enable it in LR, goto File->Plugin Manager..., then select his plugin from the list and click 'enable'.

devbobo
Sep-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Hope I haven't missed an answer, but when I re-publish a photo after making one or two minor corrections, no name change or anything. Am I supposed to have to go back into SM and remove the original published photos, or is the re-publsih itself supposed to remove the originals?

republish will replace the image on SmugMug.

ebwest
Sep-14-2010, 05:25 PM
republish will replace the image on SmugMug.

Thanks, I'm battin .500, it replaced one, but another one I had to delete.

CynthiaM
Sep-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Experimenting with the LR3 publish/smugmug feature but I have been experiencing A LOT of incomplete file errors. For example, I think I had to attempt a publish at least a half a dozen times before I could get just 3 files to upload to a test gallery. Not sure if this is because of smugmug, Lightroom or me. Any thoughts on getting this to run more smoothly would be appreciated.

Also, unclear as to how to go about synchronizing to a gallery already on line. Do you bring those files into the gallery collection under the smugmug publish feature, even if the images are already online? Or do you only bring in new images ?

devbobo
Sep-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Experimenting with the LR3 publish/smugmug feature but I have been experiencing A LOT of incomplete file errors. For example, I think I had to attempt a publish at least a half a dozen times before I could get just 3 files to upload to a test gallery. Not sure if this is because of smugmug, Lightroom or me. Any thoughts on getting this to run more smoothly would be appreciated.

This is mostly likely related to your internet connection, than anything else. I'd suggest that you contact the helpdesk and see if they can help you out with a line quality test, etc.

Also, unclear as to how to go about synchronizing to a gallery already on line. Do you bring those files into the gallery collection under the smugmug publish feature, even if the images are already online? Or do you only bring in new images ?
At present, it will only sync the actual gallery, not the gallery contents (eg. images)...I'm actively working on a new version for image syncing.

Cheers,

David

CynthiaM
Sep-16-2010, 05:07 PM
This is mostly likely related to your internet connection, than anything else. I'd suggest that you contact the helpdesk and see if they can help you out with a line quality test, etc.

I will see what the help desk tells me about my line quality.

At present, it will only sync the actual gallery, not the gallery contents (eg. images)...I'm actively working on a new version for image syncing.Don't quite follow you on this. What is the difference between the actual gallery and the gallery contents?

P.S. Why do I not have a problem when using a different method of uploading?

devbobo
Sep-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Don't quite follow you on this. What is the difference between the actual gallery and the gallery contents?

Currently, it syncs your SmugMug hierarchy...categories, subcategories,galleries. But it doesn't actually attempt to sync any images contained within them...syncing images is a lot more work that requires handling conflict resolution etc. It's coming, but we were initially under a tight deadline.

gtluke
Sep-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Any way you can make it so that it remembers the settings you set when creating a gallery? I like to set mine to allow comments and sort by date taken, which are not the default. Every time I create a gallery I have to reclick those.
A sweet small bonus would be that the text entry field for gallery name is active when the window pops up so I can just start typing instead of clicking on the default name of “gallery” and making my own, since everyone is going to change that anyway makes sense that it would be active.
Oh and my quicksetting has a specific watermark in it, but using the plugin it knows to watermark it, but used the default by default, and I have to change that every time too.

Just some small workflow issues, other than that it's great... except for the incomplete file thingy that seems to stop my uploads like every hour.

Rhuarc
Sep-16-2010, 08:34 PM
I have started using this, and really like it so far. One feature I would like to see is the ability to only have certain keywords upload. I use hierarchy keywords, and I don't want any of the parent keywords to get up loaded with the images.

Is there any way to accomplish this already that I must have missed?

Thanks!

geohsia
Sep-16-2010, 08:47 PM
I also have the problem where my captions are being stripped. That's key for me. Am I doing something wrong or do I just have to wait for the next update?

I know you guys are still getting your heads around this thing but I would love it if you can sync sort order and metadata without re-uploading all of the images. I do work overseas and sometimes internet connections are slow and expensive. Being able to manage my galleries and do minor updates without ever downloading any image would be fabulous.

You guys are awesome. Let me know what's up with the captions. Thanks.

devbobo
Sep-16-2010, 10:07 PM
I have started using this, and really like it so far. One feature I would like to see is the ability to only have certain keywords upload. I use hierarchy keywords, and I don't want any of the parent keywords to get up loaded with the images.

Is there any way to accomplish this already that I must have missed?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, LR plugins are pretty locked in with regard to what can be done. At the point, that the images are being uploaded/exported...I only have access to the keywords that are going to be exported based on the user's settings.

This sounds more like a feature request for LR itself.

Cheers,

David

devbobo
Sep-16-2010, 10:14 PM
I also have the problem where my captions are being stripped. That's key for me. Am I doing something wrong or do I just have to wait for the next update?

What field are you defining your captions in within LR ? IPTC Caption or IPTC Title ?

I know you guys are still getting your heads around this thing but I would love it if you can sync sort order and metadata without re-uploading all of the images. I do work overseas and sometimes internet connections are slow and expensive. Being able to manage my galleries and do minor updates without ever downloading any image would be fabulous.

I'm hoping to have sort order syncing in the next version. Syncing image metadata without uploading the image is actually a design limitation of the LR SDK. The Publish SDK is built on top of the previous Export SDK...and the actual export/upload is handled by the Export SDK. But at the time when we are exporting, we have no way to determine the reason why the image is being republished. Believe me, I'd love to do it properly, but at this point there isn't a lot I can do.

Cheers,

David

devbobo
Sep-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Any way you can make it so that it remembers the settings you set when creating a gallery? I like to set mine to allow comments and sort by date taken, which are not the default. Every time I create a gallery I have to reclick those.

You can't use a Quick Setting for this ?

A sweet small bonus would be that the text entry field for gallery name is active when the window pops up so I can just start typing instead of clicking on the default name of “gallery” and making my own, since everyone is going to change that anyway makes sense that it would be active.

Are you using Windows ? On my Mac, this field is always selected for me by default when I create/edit a gallery.

Oh and my quicksetting has a specific watermark in it, but using the plugin it knows to watermark it, but used the default by default, and I have to change that every time too.

Just some small workflow issues, other than that it's great... except for the incomplete file thingy that seems to stop my uploads like every hour.

Have you recently modified this Quick Setting ? To sync updates to Quick Settings, you need to 'Edit Settings' for the Publish Service...and it will sync while it's doing it's 'Refreshing...' action. I'm hoping to change this, but I'm a little limited with how I can add stuff to the LR ui.

geohsia
Sep-16-2010, 10:51 PM
What field are you defining your captions in within LR ? IPTC Caption or IPTC Title ?

I believe I have them in Caption. Normally this is where I always have it. When I upload using the JF's plugin or the myriad of SM uploaders it always works.

I'm hoping to have sort order syncing in the next version.

That's great to hear!

Syncing image metadata without uploading the image is actually a design limitation of the LR SDK. The Publish SDK is built on top of the previous Export SDK...and the actual export/upload is handled by the Export SDK. But at the time when we are exporting, we have no way to determine the reason why the image is being republished. Believe me, I'd love to do it properly, but at this point there isn't a lot I can do.

Don't you kind of run into the same problem in regards to syncing sort order? Or were you only planning on syncing on the initial upload and not syncing changes without re-uploading all of the photos?

BTW, I know you're all about doing it right and automagic and all. What if you manually selected the photos you wanted to update metadata for? That ways its an explicit command, no automagic needed. Obviously we would have to keep track of it in our own, but that would work for me.

--

BTW, I think I read in a previous post that in order for you to do the file syncing are you checking the file name and the file size? Does that mean you have to render each image to determine if its already in SM?

CynthiaM
Sep-17-2010, 03:58 AM

Dave,

I sent you a private message with the results of the line quality test.

Regards,

dmcgrandle
Sep-18-2010, 12:00 AM
I believe I have them in Caption. Normally this is where I always have it. When I upload using the JF's plugin or the myriad of SM uploaders it always works.

I have data in both the IPTC Caption and the IPTC Title that I'd like displayed. Unfortunately SmugMug doesn't do titles, so all the information I have in the title field is lost when I upload. All the caption information seems to upload okay.

I'd at least like the ability to merge the two fields of data into the caption field as a poor workaround. It would be really good to have the title field displayable using the SmugMug site. Any plans to add this soon?

Dan7312
Sep-18-2010, 03:57 AM
exifutils ( http://www.hugsan.com/exifutils/ ) can do merging or copying around of the metadata in an image, so it could format and merge of whatever fields you want. However you would have to add a step to your workflow to batch process your jpg's before you uploaded them.

I'd at least like the ability to merge the two fields of data into the caption field as a poor workaround. It would be really good to have the title field displayable using the SmugMug site. Any plans to add this soon?

Raz
Sep-18-2010, 04:10 AM
Not sure why no-one else is posting about this ...

when I use the new publish feature in 3.2 to publish to SmugMug, it strips the IPTC Title so that there is no caption when the photo arrives. The photo just shows up with "Digital Davo photo" as the caption.

The jf SmugMug export profile works fine wrt. Title -> Caption.

I do _not_ have Minimize Embedded Metadata set in the publish settings, so I am confused as to why this doesn't work properly. anyone?

Hello all,

I'd like to pop a similar question. I'm also using the publish service in LR 3.2 and I didn't check the "minimize embedded metadata" option. My photos are uploaded without any metadata at all... :dunno

Thanks,
Raz

Raz
Sep-18-2010, 04:27 AM
Hello all,

I'd like to pop a similar question. I'm also using the publish service in LR 3.2 and I didn't check the "minimize embedded metadata" option. My photos are uploaded without any metadata at all... :dunno

Thanks,
Raz

Furthermore, I realized that even when I upload jpgs that I exported from lightroom, using the usual smugmug uploader, I don't get any metadata on smugmug although I do have it on the jpgs... What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Raz

Raz
Sep-18-2010, 07:13 AM
Furthermore, I realized that even when I upload jpgs that I exported from lightroom, using the usual smugmug uploader, I don't get any metadata on smugmug although I do have it on the jpgs... What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Raz

OK, I got it, it's because I used "limit file size".

Sorry for the trouble
Raz

Pindy
Sep-18-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm noticing that galleries I have previously uploaded are showing an amount of photos that are modified and set to be re-published. But I know I haven't touched these and how can I tell what the (alleged) change is? Annoying!

jhelms
Sep-18-2010, 12:08 PM
You're not butting in at all. I was considering looking into lumping my shoots into one big catalog anyway. Thanks for the links. I'll read up on it.

I'm curious about that as well. Matt K. (LR killer tips) and others have suggested a multiple catalog system, which is sort of what I use now (one catalog for every two months or so). I shoot ~10 events per week and the catalog gets huge after a couple of months.

DonRicklin
Sep-18-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm noticing that galleries I have previously uploaded are showing an amount of photos that are modified and set to be re-published. But I know I haven't touched these and how can I tell what the (alleged) change is? Annoying!It can be as simple as a Metadata change, inadvertent multi image processing with more than one image selected in LR..

Yes this can be very frustrating.

One way to check for inadvertent processing changes, is that the Publish is recorded in Develop history. Anything post Publish should show. Not so easy to detect for Metadata. Reversing any changes should put back the state.

Don

jfriend
Sep-18-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm curious about that as well. Matt K. (LR killer tips) and others have suggested a multiple catalog system, which is sort of what I use now (one catalog for every two months or so). I shoot ~10 events per week and the catalog gets huge after a couple of months.Multiple catalogs negate many of the benefits of LR. You can't search, collect or query across catalogs. If you need to find something and don't know the date, it can take awhile to find which catalog it's in. I'm not saying folks shouldn't use multiple catalogs, just that there should be a really, really good reason to do so because you throw away a lot of the benefits of having all your photos in one database when you split it into many catalogs. I've got more than 100,000 images in my LR catalog and it's still doing great.

sirshannon
Sep-19-2010, 12:35 PM
I have 1 quick settings configuration stored on SmugMug, it is the only one I use and I use it for every gallery. One of those settings is that watermarks are on and the watermark used is the one my custom watermark (the only one I use, and I use it on every gallery).

When I create a new gallery in Lightroom and choose my custom config in the Quick Settings dropdown, all of my settings are automatically chosen correctly except that it uses the Default SmugMug watermark instead of my watermark. I have to go to the "Security _Privacy" tab and pick the correct watermark from the dropdown list, otherwise I get the big ugly "PROOF" watermark.

This isn't a showstopper and isn't that big a deal now that I know I have to do it every time but it is definitely a bug.

chest2tank
Sep-20-2010, 06:17 AM
right click --> "Create Category"
right click --> "Create Category" as a sub category
fill in sub category with galleries
click publish

That doesn't do what you want it to do. I woke up this morning to find out that the neatly arranged category, sub categories, and galleries didn't upload correctly. All the galleries ended up in the "Other" category, and the categories I created didn't even appear.

chest2tank
Sep-20-2010, 06:39 AM
I'm really appreciative of everything you guys are doing to make our work flow better, but why can't you test stuff before it comes out???? This is driving me crazy. The last thing I need in my life is to be frustrated by the core tool of my business!

duckshots
Sep-20-2010, 10:14 AM

Where is it?

BradfordBenn
Sep-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Hello-

So I am trying to figure out if something is possible. Is there a way to delete the local version (resides on my hard drive) but continue to have the version still on SmugMug? I am looking for an easy way to keep safety copies when I am traveling before I get home.

Also does Lightroom clean up after itself with publishing DNG/RAW files or are there temp files I have to go clean up? (I am running under Mac.)

Thanks

jhelms
Sep-20-2010, 10:33 AM
I"m trying to authorize SM in LR on my work computer today. I upgraded to LR3.2 and the facebook setup worked fine. Now, when I click on authorize smugmug I get a pop up that says "The smugmug service can't be reached right now, please check your internet connection".

Everything else is working fine, any suggestions?

Andy
Sep-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Does your work block SmugMug? Some do...

jhelms
Sep-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Does your work block SmugMug? Some do...

Nope, we use smugmug for our huge photo sharing site www.fortbenningphotos.com (http://www.fortbenningphotos.com) (which is getting some AWESOME traffice, btw) :thumb

devbobo
Sep-20-2010, 03:00 PM
I"m trying to authorize SM in LR on my work computer today. I upgraded to LR3.2 and the facebook setup worked fine. Now, when I click on authorize smugmug I get a pop up that says "The smugmug service can't be reached right now, please check your internet connection".

Everything else is working fine, any suggestions?

Unfortunately, the certificate authority that we use doesn't always have it's root certificate installed outside of the browser, try following these instructions (http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Installing+the+Starfield+Root+Cert+on+Windows).

Cheers,

David

chest2tank
Sep-20-2010, 03:44 PM
How about something simple, like PUBLISH TO THE CORRECT EFFING FOLDER?!? Good god, I have wasted 2 days of work waiting for this to export, and when it finally does, it's in the WRONG FOLDER. HOW IS THIS DIFFICULT?!?

DBR
Sep-21-2010, 03:29 AM
What is the plan for updates to this plugin? Most of my other plugins have "check for updates" button, but this one does not.

I really like this plugin - it's been great - however, I have one problem with it. When do you expect to enable video support? SmugMug advertises seemless support for video (for the site overall, not specifically for this plugin), but until this supports it, it won't be seemless.

Thanks!

dbr

DonRicklin
Sep-21-2010, 03:50 AM
What is the plan for updates to this plugin? Most of my other plugins have "check for updates" button, but this one does not.

I really like this plugin - it's been great - however, I have one problem with it. When do you expect to enable video support? SmugMug advertises seemless support for video (for the site overall, not specifically for this plugin), but until this supports it, it won't be seemless.

Thanks!

dbrI believe this is because of the current Lightroom SDK. Even though LR can import video there is not a lot of handling of video in LR, yet. Maybe with 4.0.

Jeffrey Friedl's SM Publish plugin also does not upload video.

Don

Bigken462
Sep-21-2010, 06:27 PM
A mod note: This being my first post, I was not quite sure where to post this. If it needs to be moved to another forum, or a new thread started, please do so. I would like to start by introducing myself.

My name is Kenny and while I have been a lurker here for a while, this is my first post. I ran across this forum while looking at the help files in Smugmug. I’m a power user there, and also an older user of Lightroom. (Version 1.0). I would like to update, but just can’t bring myself to rebuy the program each year just for updates.

Most recently I decided to back up my entire photo collection to my account. This has turned into a task for which I now see I’m not quite so sure I’m up to doing. I had thought initially that I could create sub folders within Smugmug, and then have them sorted similar to how they are listed inside my picture folders. The problem I have is that there are several thousand pictures in several hundred folders. Long story short – 24 months of Iraq and overseas photos which was taken by myself and many others. We shared pictures like young school kids traded baseball cards. The problem I have is that the uploader I use that which is embedded in the list when you right click and lets you send to Smugmug, groups every pictured from every files into one single list. The folder I’m uploading now has over 6K pictures and I’m on the 3rd day of continuous uploading. I can’t imagine the task I’m about to be faced with when I attempt to sort these things out into folders on the site. The idea is to have them stored in case my computer fails or is damaged. I’m really beginning to second guess that plan now.

Another idea I had that I thought would make this uploading and pre-sorting easier is when I recalled you could up load from the Light room program. Is this an option for LR1.0? And lastly, when I swapped hard drives a while back, I had backed up my files, but then, when I reloaded LR, I could never find a way to reload these into the program. Is there an option inside LR that will scan your drive for images and upload a folder or like at a time? Before my drive upgrade, I had several years of pictures listed by their uploaded dates and would just nearly rather take a beating than have to upload one folder at a time. I was really hoping there was a way I could do a mass upload into LR and let the program auto sort them. I know this post is kind of broken up and has questions related to both Smugmug and Lightroom, but since they two seem to go hand in hand, I thought maybe you guys could help me.

Crap sake, I tried to copy this over from word and it really messed it up. I'm sorry about the hard reading guys.

Pindy
Sep-21-2010, 08:10 PM
It can be as simple as a Metadata change, inadvertent multi image processing with more than one image selected in LR..

Yes this can be very frustrating.

One way to check for inadvertent processing changes, is that the Publish is recorded in Develop history. Anything post Publish should show. Not so easy to detect for Metadata. Reversing any changes should put back the state.

Don

Helpful!:thumb

DBR
Sep-22-2010, 12:44 PM
I believe this is because of the current Lightroom SDK. Even though LR can import video there is not a lot of handling of video in LR, yet. Maybe with 4.0.

Jeffrey Friedl's SM Publish plugin also does not upload video.

Don

Actually, Jeffrey Friedl's SM Publish plugin does upload video. I verified that by uploading a short video using his plugin this morning. I prefer the way that the SmugMug publish plugin handles creation of new galleries, and it appears to have better error handling, but JF's at least attempts to upload videos.

I'm not particularly interested in sophisticated handling of video - at this point, I just want to be able to use the Digital Asset Management (DAM) capability of LR together with SmugMug.

Also, trancetheman had the following to say about video and the SM plugin:

I am hoping that the updates to the plugin will be more frequent than the updates to LR, and that video support will be enabled soon.

DonRicklin
Sep-22-2010, 01:14 PM
I believe that Jeffrey Friedl is willing to sell/share his code/system for upgrading with other plugin developers. Then it would be easy to get upgrades out separate from what Adobe is going.

Don

chest2tank
Sep-22-2010, 09:18 PM
And let's just delete a gallery that finally uploaded successfully.... FMLw/Smugmug

dmcgrandle
Sep-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Hey Dan,

Interesting, but I'm not sure how to launch this automatically within a workflow, seems to work fine on batches of files though. Thanks for the pointer.

exifutils ( http://www.hugsan.com/exifutils/ ) can do merging or copying around of the metadata in an image, so it could format and merge of whatever fields you want. However you would have to add a step to your workflow to batch process your jpg's before you uploaded them.

dmcgrandle
Sep-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Some strange behaviour -- when I create a new gallery now and copy pictures into it, they all end up in the "New Photos to be Published" section. So far, so good. But as soon as I click the "Publish" button, they immediately get moved into the "Modified Photos to be Re-Published" section. I don't even have a section any more called "Published Photos". The gallery is successfully created on SmugMug and the photos are in there properly.

If I then click on Publish again, thinking it will move the photos from "Modified Photos to be Re-Published" correctly into "Published Photos" it now takes a VERY long time (approximately an hour for a gallery of less than a hundred photos on a 12Mbps down/3Mbps up connection) to complete, during which nothing moves anywhere and at the end of which nothing has moved at all, and then gives a time-out message.

Some time back I canceled a publish before it completed because I forgot to make some changes, made those changes and then re-published the photos, and ever since then this plugin has done this. I've restarted lightroom, my mac, et al, no effect.

Any thoughts?

rhermans
Sep-23-2010, 01:06 AM
I'm getting the same behavior, they go into Modified Photos to Re-Publish

opened the sqlite db / catalog the field photoNeedsUpdating = 1.0
manual resetted the field : update AgRemotePhoto set photoNeedsUpdating=0.0 where photoNeedsUpdating > 0.0
all photos back into the Published Photos.
changed the settings of the plugin to send short exif data, checked one photo to republish
published it : data on smugmug changed so the publishing does happen only it stays in the section Modified Photos to Re-Publish
checking the db again showed the field for that picture again as 1 (photoNeedsUdating)

The idea that I corrupted the db by this action is possible but then the flickr plugin and jf-smugmug plugin works without this behavior.

Any thoughts, and .... if you guys make updates where can we find the new smugmug plugin.

Stormer
Sep-23-2010, 02:59 AM
I am getting an error while trying to apply a Quick Setting to a gallery in LR3.2.

"An internal error has occurred: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)"

I am getting the same error, when you apply a Quick Setting, other then Default, this message will popup.

Concerning the "Modified Photos to Re-Publish", I know it worked 4 days? ago. Only yesterday it stopped working for me, photos get uploaded succesfully to smugmug, only become "Modified Photos to Re-Publish".

Update:

The "Modified Photos to Re-Publish" problem seems to relate to photos with keywords. If I upload a photo without keywords, it succesfully gets uploaded to smugmug. I also noticed some of the uploaded keywords are missing on smugmug, maybe this relates to the problem. It may have something to do with "Include on Export. My publish setting have the checkbox "Write Lightroom keywords as hierarchy" set.

dmcgrandle
Sep-23-2010, 02:01 PM
The "Modified Photos to Re-Publish" problem seems to relate to photos with keywords. If I upload a photo without keywords, it succesfully gets uploaded to smugmug. I also noticed some of the uploaded keywords are missing on smugmug, maybe this relates to the problem. It may have something to do with "Include on Export. My publish setting have the checkbox "Write Lightroom keywords as hierarchy" set.

Very interesting, Stormer. I decided to test your theory and got the following results:

1. Create a new gallery called "Test" and upload a photo with no mods whatsoever to it (including no keywords)
Result: Successful! The photo was now in the "Published Photos" section.

2. Modify the photo (quick white balance adjustment in Develop module).
Result: Success. The photo was now in the "Modified Photos to Re-Publish" section, as it should be.

3. Click publish.
Result: Success! It took about 2 minutes, but it successfully moved the photo to the "Published Photos" section.

4. Removed LR/Mogrify and JF's Metadata Wrangler from the workflow for SmugMug publishing. Upgraded LR/Mogrify to the new version, restarted Lightroom and added them both back into the workflow. Unchecked the "Write Lightroom keywords as hierarchy" box.

5. Added a keyword to the photo and re-published.
Result: Success! Now it moved correctly into Published Photos

6. Went to a collection that previously was not working (all photos still in "Modified Photos to Re-Publish"), and clicked publish.
Result: Success! Photos are moving as I write this into the Published Photos section.

So one of three things fixed the issue. Either publishing the photo with no keywords reset something, or the unchecking of "Write Lightroom keywords as hierarchy", or else the removal update and reinsertion of LR/Mogrify and/or Metadata Wrangler did. Regardless, I'm happy.

Strange bug though.

BradfordBenn
Sep-23-2010, 03:05 PM
I am surprised to hear all the challenges. Have you guys tried e-mailing the help desk? They have been great with my questions in the past.

devbobo
Sep-23-2010, 08:05 PM
For those people reporting images being set back to be 'Republished' after having previously moved to the 'Published' state. I noticed something along these lines with a few images while I was developing the plugin. The issue turned out to be that Lightroom didn't have write access to the original image or xml sidecar which I assume that it was trying to update in some way.

I'm not saying that this is the issue in your cases, but if you are using the mogrify or exif plugins, maybe they are somehow modifying the image which is flagging it to be republished after our plugin indicates that the file was uploaded successfully.

Stormer
Sep-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Very interesting, Stormer. I decided to test your theory and got the following results...

Thats great news, I am going to try that this evening.

I am surprised to hear all the challenges. Have you guys tried e-mailing the help desk? They have been great with my questions in the past.

I did not email the help desk yet, I thought this was the place to report any issues to the plugin. So all the issues are at one place.

For those people reporting images being set back to be 'Republished' after having previously moved to the 'Published' state....

Thanks for that info. My system does not run any plugins (yet).

Anyway, I will test this evening and will give you guys an update later.

devbobo
Sep-23-2010, 10:48 PM
Do all the images in the whole gallery get set back to be "Republished" or just the ones that we uploaded ?

dmcgrandle
Sep-23-2010, 10:50 PM

I did not email the help desk yet, I thought this was the place to report any issues to the plugin. So all the issues are at one place.

Yeah, I have my suspicions that it was the check box for Lightroom Hierarchy that made the difference. I have most of the keywords unchecked for "Include on Export", but have noticed that the keywords show up on SmugMug regardless. I don't think the SM plugin honors that setting for some reason, either that or LR presents the photo to the SM plugin with the keywords already in the metadata (incorrectly). Regardless -- it's a bug. :)

And yes, I did report it to the helpdesk through the e-mail system. I got back a very polite response of "We are sorry that you are having issues using the SmugMug integration with Lightroom. We have not heard of this happening before. We will pass this along to the developer. When we hear back from him we will let you know." That was on the 17th of Sept. I got tired of just waiting, so I posted the issue here.

dmcgrandle
Sep-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Do all the images in the whole gallery get set back to be "Republished" or just the ones that we uploaded ?

Hey Devbobo, for me every image I'd ever sent to SmugMug was now in the To Be Re-Published section. "Published" didn't even show up anywhere, in any gallery, neither old or even newly created ones with photos that were just uploaded. With the "fix", now it appears to be mostly working. I am still getting timeouts and the republishing takes a horrendous amount of time. In a gallery of 77 photos, I had to click Publish 4 times -- the first time about 20 photos timed out, the second time about 10, then about 5, then 2, and finally it went through. Very annoying. Time taken was an hour or so the first time, down to about 5 minutes the last.

devbobo
Sep-24-2010, 01:17 AM
I have most of the keywords unchecked for "Include on Export", but have noticed that the keywords show up on SmugMug regardless. I don't think the SM plugin honors that setting for some reason, either that or LR presents the photo to the SM plugin with the keywords already in the metadata (incorrectly). Regardless -- it's a bug. :)

If you select 'Export Keywords as Lightroo Hierarchy' regardless of whether some of those keywords have been unchecked for 'Include on Export', they will be included. I have no control over this, if you regard that as a bug, you will have to take that up with Adobe.

Stormer
Sep-24-2010, 01:20 PM

As promised, here is my update:

- First test, just hit the publish button without changing a thing : Result photos with keywords remain "Modified for republish".
- Second test, disable "Write LR hierarchy" : Result "Published"
- Third test, remove all "Modified for republish" photos from collection, add a photo without keywords and publish : Result "Published"
- 4. Assign a keyword test, at root level to the photo from step 3 : Result "Published". Keywords will look like root->test
- 5. Remove keyword from step 4, create a sub keyword to the keyword from step 4 and assign that to the photo : Result "Published". Keywords will look like root->test->animaltest
- 6. change "include on export setting" to keyword from step 4 : Result "Modified for republish". Keywords will look like root->[test]->animaltest
- 7. Reenable "include on export" : Result "Published".

It looks like it has something to do with the combination of "Include on export" keyword feature and "Write LR hierarchy" setting.
The funny thing is, when I visit the photo on smugmug, it says it only has keywords "animaltest" (step 6 is applied). If I download the original from SmugMug and take a look at the properties from the file, it says "animaltest; test".

If it helps to investigate the issue, you can get the photo from my site (http://stormer.smugmug.com/), as there is only one photo at the moment. If all problems are resolved, all my photos will be smugmugged :D.

Thanks for all the replies!

dmcgrandle
Sep-24-2010, 08:10 PM

Dan, thanks again for the pointer. I've been playing around with exiftool on my mac, and finally got a command line 'for' loop hammered out to merge the Title and Caption fields together into the Caption field so that SmugMug will actually display the info I have stored in many pictures in the Title field. It may not be the most elegant solution, but here's the one that worked for me:

for i in *.dng ; do exiftool -XMP:Title -XMP:Description -a -s -s -s $i | exiftool -XMP:Description'<=-' $i ; done

It returns an error on any DNG that has no data in either Title or Description (the XMP field that corresponds to Caption in Lightroom), but the effect is to simply ignore that file and go on to the next which is what I wanted anyway. If there is data in Title, it merges it with any data that may already exist in Caption and inserts a newline between the data of the two fields, and again at the end. It leaves the original data in the Title field so it is duplicated, but I can live with that.

Thanks again,

devbobo
Sep-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Dan, thanks again for the pointer. I've been playing around with exiftool on my mac, and finally got a command line 'for' loop hammered out to merge the Title and Caption fields together into the Caption field so that SmugMug will actually display the info I have stored in many pictures in the Title field. It may not be the most elegant solution, but here's the one that worked for me:

for i in *.dng ; do exiftool -XMP:Title -XMP:Description -a -s -s -s $i | exiftool -XMP:Description'<=-' $i ; done

It returns an error on any DNG that has no data in either Title or Description (the XMP field that corresponds to Caption in Lightroom), but the effect is to simply ignore that file and go on to the next which is what I wanted anyway. If there is data in Title, it merges it with any data that may already exist in Caption and inserts a newline between the data of the two fields, and again at the end. It leaves the original data in the Title field so it is duplicated, but I can live with that.

Thanks again,

Hi Guys,

If you want to talk about other tools or plugins, can you please start a new thread.

Thanks,

David

kbevphoto
Sep-26-2010, 04:55 PM
* Sorry title should be: "What is IT re-publishing?"

So I've created the 8 galleries that I wanted to use for "Publishing". They are smart galleries using Jeffrey's plugin. Several of them have a few photos that are "modified for re-publish", but they are already updated on my SM account. Why is LR still saying they need to be republished?

What's more important is the fact that after a gazillion attempts, I keep getting the Timed Out error...Very, very frustrating... I'm trying to get my portfolio online with this!!! :scratch

e-Scape Photo
Sep-27-2010, 06:39 AM
Lack of reliable integration is ruining what could be excellent - indeed unsurpassed - end to end DAM between LR and smugmug.

boardhead
Sep-27-2010, 08:00 AM
DIt may not be the most elegant solution, but here's the one that worked for me:

I think this should also do what you want, but it is a bit simpler:

exiftool '-xmp:description<$xmp:title$/$xmp:description' -ext dng .

- Phil

Pindy
Sep-28-2010, 09:08 AM
I have noticed that when my photos marked to re-publish time out (they almost constantly do) I have to delete them from the gallery then add them back from a quick collection I've made to hold them. Super annoying, but I hold out for this ultimately working cause it's going to eventually be a great solution.

e-Scape Photo
Sep-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Hear hear Pindy

gulfcoastshooter
Sep-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Question about moving images between catalogs.

A typical work flow for me looks like this:
I shoot in the field, and create a LR catalog on my laptop.
I then export photos from my laptop catalog to a separate one for just that event so I can send it to an editor, assistant, or to migrate the work to my desktop catalog (and usually I delete the images from the laptop catalog).
I import the photos next into a master catalog on my desktop.
This is a workflow that Adobe has promulgated since 2009 or so here:
http://lightroomkillertips.com/2008/friday-video-moving-between-laptop-and-desktop/

I may need to publish to SM quickly, so that may need to happen while the images are on my laptop or once they're on my desktop.
Using the SM plugin seems to be creating some unanticipated links to specific catalogs.
Wondering if people have any road-tested advice on the best point in this workflow to position the plugin. I gather that SM watches the images as they live in a specific catalog, since when I deleted some images from my laptop catalog, they summarily disappeared from SmugMug as well.

drode
Sep-28-2010, 05:07 PM
I've been using the publish plugin for about 4 weeks now. Most things are working well and have been a big help. However I have one issue and a question.

First the issue. I've processed and uploaded 2 football games a week for the last month. That's 50-75 images per game. The initial (publish) uploads complete without issue. However, it's common for me to go back and tweak the images, add keywords, tag players, etc. This causes the image to be marked for republish as it should. It's all great until I tell it to republish. The first few images seem to upload as expected but the majority fail with time out errors. It's very consistent. It always a few successes and the majority fail. If I attempt to republish that same set, I get a few uploaded and the vast majority fail.

Secondly, a question. It's not uncommon for me to post an initial version of an image and then go back and retouch. The original file is xxx.dng, the first edit is xxx.psd, the second is xxx-2.psd, etc. The final version is (or should be) xxx.jpg as it's always exported as a jpeg. Deleting xxx.jpg and uploading a new version is an inconvenience but not a catastrophe. The main problem is that people have probably bookmarked the image and when they attempt go back to the image, it will not exist by that name (URL). Is there any way to instruct lightroom and/or smugmug to replace image xxx.jpg with xxx-edited.jpg?

Thanks,

Dan

devbobo
Sep-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Using the SM plugin seems to be creating some unanticipated links to specific catalogs.

This is default LR publish plugin behaviour and not something specific that our plugin does.

Wondering if people have any road-tested advice on the best point in this workflow to position the plugin. I gather that SM watches the images as they live in a specific catalog, since when I deleted some images from my laptop catalog, they summarily disappeared from SmugMug as well.
Prior to deleting the photos from the catalog on your notebook, delete the gallery that the photos are contained in within LR and select 'Leave on SmugMug'. This will break the connection between the photos in LR and on SmugMug...and subsequent deletion of the photos within the catalog won't result in the deletion of the photos on SmugMug.

gamb
Sep-29-2010, 12:41 PM
I had a computer issue and had to reinstall. My smugmug account had 99% of it's pictures uploaded from lightroom through the plugin. Can I "sync" those back up with a new install so I can see all my pictures that I've uploaded to smugmug under the lightroom plugin? Is that possible?

e-Scape Photo
Sep-30-2010, 06:00 AM
I had a computer issue and had to reinstall. My smugmug account had 99% of it's pictures uploaded from lightroom through the plugin. Can I "sync" those back up with a new install so I can see all my pictures that I've uploaded to smugmug under the lightroom plugin? Is that possible?

Not with the current inbuilt one .. believe it's on smugmug's to do list... but you can with jfriedl's plugin

dmcgrandle
Oct-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi folks, especially Devbob (our fearless developer!)

Is there an ETA for a fix to the timeout issue? It is easily the single most annoying problem with a great plugin.

Thanks,

jbacchiocchi
Oct-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Does the smugmug lightroom publish allow for change in resolution? I notice that the original is always 240 and I'd like it to be 300.

jfriend
Oct-03-2010, 04:25 AM
Does the smugmug lightroom publish allow for change in resolution? I notice that the original is always 240 and I'd like it to be 300.That resolution number means absolutely nothing on Smugmug (it's just a piece of metadata that is ignored). All that matters on the web or with Smugmug's printers are the number of pixels.

devbobo
Oct-04-2010, 02:00 AM
Hi folks, especially Devbob (our fearless developer!)

Is there an ETA for a fix to the timeout issue? It is easily the single most annoying problem with a great plugin.

Thanks,

For anyone having timeout issues with our plugin, please DM me your email address for that I can forward you a beta version to test out a potential fix.

Cheers,

David

devbobo
Oct-04-2010, 02:10 AM
Secondly, a question. It's not uncommon for me to post an initial version of an image and then go back and retouch. The original file is xxx.dng, the first edit is xxx.psd, the second is xxx-2.psd, etc. The final version is (or should be) xxx.jpg as it's always exported as a jpeg. Deleting xxx.jpg and uploading a new version is an inconvenience but not a catastrophe. The main problem is that people have probably bookmarked the image and when they attempt go back to the image, it will not exist by that name (URL). Is there any way to instruct lightroom and/or smugmug to replace image xxx.jpg with xxx-edited.jpg?

I need to have a think about this workflow, it does make sense...but it may be difficult to achieve with the way Publish services have been implemented. I might have a chat to the guys at Adobe and see if they have any ideas.

Cheers,

David

gulfcoastshooter
Oct-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Attended a Lightroom workshop by Jerry Courvoisier, the former Digital Programs Director at the Santa Fe Photographic Workshops, who was on the development advisory team for Lightroom from day one, I gather. Brought all the developers out for a boot camp on how shooters work, etc. Sounded pretty cool. Anyways, got to speak to him a while about the workflow of a field reporter (like me). Long story short, I'm importing images to a laptop copy of LR, and building an event-specific catalog that is embedded in the folder with the images from that event, so that when I ship the folder to a desktop, etc., the catalog goes with it.

I have worked out many issues from my prior post last week (deadlines are great motivators), but am finding that every time I create a new catalog (which again is several times a day on weekends), I have to both re-authenticate with the SM plugin (no biggie), and then go through the prefs in the LR Publishing Mgr and set them all up again (kind of a biggie). Is there any way to make my SM plugin preferences persistent or at least a saved set that I can load? I do believe this is controlled by the LR Publishing Manager, since the options look the same for the Flikr, Facebook, etc. plugins. Hoping to not have to reset these every time I create a catalog.

Advice?
KL

jbacchiocchi
Oct-04-2010, 08:13 PM
That resolution number means absolutely nothing on Smugmug (it's just a piece of metadata that is ignored). All that matters on the web or with Smugmug's printers are the number of pixels.

yes, but I believe the "original" jpeg does have the resolution.

jfriend
Oct-04-2010, 08:23 PM
yes, but I believe the "original" jpeg does have the resolution.I don't understand your comment or whether that's a question or not. The resolution is just a piece of metadata that is simply not used on Smugmug. It doesn't matter what it's set to.

dmcgrandle
Oct-05-2010, 10:32 PM
For anyone having timeout issues with our plugin, please DM me your email address for that I can forward you a beta version to test out a potential fix.

Cheers,

David

Done. Please let me know if you didn't get it for some reason.

gulfcoastshooter
Oct-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Has the plugin been taken off the Adobe exchange? Need to install it on another machine, but have not found it in 20 minutes of searching.

e-Scape Photo
Oct-08-2010, 06:06 AM
The smugmug plugin is part of 3.2 build - it's not a separate download. Unless you are talking about jfriedl version.

gulfcoastshooter
Oct-09-2010, 10:16 PM
So what do you do when Lightroom complains that your SmugMug plugin is corrupted and wants it reinstalled?

jhelms
Oct-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Unfortunately, the certificate authority that we use doesn't always have it's root certificate installed outside of the browser, try following these instructions (http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Installing+the+Starfield+Root+Cert+on+Windows).

Cheers,

David

Ran through those instructions; got the "certificate import was successful" message, but it's not showing up when I run the crtmgr, and LR3 is still giving me the "cannot contact the smugmug service, check your internet connection" message.

On top of that, both IE and Firefox are now giving me errors when I try to upload to Smugmug (I guess due to a java update?).

So I'm stuck not being able to upload here at work, any other ideas? (I can get the java update installed but it may take a while to get them to do it).

thanks! :thumb

BradfordBenn
Oct-13-2010, 12:42 PM
I am doing a fairly sizable upload (3,146 images) I have received a message that the hard drive is out of space for using as virtual memory. I realized it is a temp/scratch file cache from Lightroom Publish. It can take up fairly large amounts of hard drive space and bring the computer to a screeching halt when the HDD becomes full. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

SteveF
Oct-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Waahoo !!

I'm a little late to the party - just noticed this new feature.

Yet another reason that I recommend SM to everyone I know.

Just tried it - worked exactly as I wanted.

Then I thought - sure would be nice if I could upload to different SM accounts.

A little looking around and sure enough - there it was. This has to be a record time for a feature implementation - it was literally about 30 sec between the time I thought of it and SM had implemented it. Amazing.

I don't use those little dancing things much, but here you go. :barb

Huh, now that I clicked on it, I wonder why it is called Barb? Doesn't look anything like the Barb I know.... :D

devbobo
Oct-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Then I thought - sure would be nice if I could upload to different SM accounts.

right click on the SmugMug banner, and select 'Create Another Publish Service via SmugMug' :thumb

devbobo
Oct-14-2010, 08:38 PM
I am doing a fairly sizable upload (3,146 images) I have received a message that the hard drive is out of space for using as virtual memory. I realized it is a temp/scratch file cache from Lightroom Publish. It can take up fairly large amounts of hard drive space and bring the computer to a screeching halt when the HDD becomes full. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

I think i was doing something dumb....I'll email you an update.

Krossfire
Oct-15-2010, 05:56 AM
Not sure this has been discussed yet.
I used this for the first time last night.
I have:1-gallery category with multiple sub-categories which have multiple galleries in those.

When I published these last night it took some of the galleries and put them in the wrong sub-categories. I then had to go to the smug site and move those galleries 1 by 1 to the proper sub-category Luckly there were no photo's envolved as I am trying to get my galleries set up for a week long event. Now I am worried that when I get to the event and start taking photo's that the same thing will happen and I am not going to know which gallery they go to if it happens dealing with thousands of photo's..??

DBR
Oct-15-2010, 04:35 PM
What is the plan for updates to this plugin? I've seen references to test updates being emailed to people, and references to new features under development. I'm particularly interested in being able to upload my videos along with my stills - a feature which the competing JF plugin supports, and I understand will be supported in this one at some point.

Will this plugin only be updated with new versions of Lightroom? Or will it, like most plugins, have an independent development and update cycle? How will updates be distributed?

Thanks!

David

kodachi614
Oct-16-2010, 09:17 PM
I just spent quite awhile struggling with publishing from LR3. I'm glad I stumbled across this thread, as the major problem was having "Write keywords as Lightroom hierarchy" checked.

That still leaves it abysmally slow to update previously-published photos. This was true for Jeffrey Friedl's plugin and is still true with the SmugMug plugin; hard for me not to believe that this is a pretty significant problem on the SmugMug side. Any news on this front?

(I also really miss the ability that Jeffrey Friedl's plugin had to edit the caption during publishing. I can use his "Run any Command" plugin, but integrating this into the export would be faster and cleaner. However, the update speed is a much bigger deal.)

kidego32
Oct-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Hello everyone,

When using the Lightroom 3 publish service, in the Create Gallery dialog when I select one of my custom settings in the Quick Settings dropdown, I get the following error:

I can't upload with any of my predefined settings. Workflow now is to publish the gallery, then go to SmugMug, find the just published gallery, and apply my settings.

Any idea how I can publish and have my settings applied in one step?

blockphotography
Oct-22-2010, 01:49 PM
I love the idea of this plugin - it brings the non-destructive/revision control system of Lightroom online. I've been having some issues with it that make it infuriating and virtually unusable, however.

What I want to do is sequence my photos in lightroom using the "user order" sorting method, then have lightroom re-name and re-number them as they are exported to SM so the file numbers correspond to the sequence I manually created and I can just set the SM gallery to sort by ascending file name/number. So I set the corresponding option in the SmugMug plugin, and this does indeed happen with the initial upload of images to each gallery. Sweet!

The problems begin when I attempt to re-publish photos after modifying them further in Lightroom...what I expect to happen is Lightroom and SmugMug to remember/figure out the filenames and numbers that were used for the images in the SM gallery, and renumber the re-published photo(s) so they occupy the same place in the sequence in the SM gallery. In practice this happens sometimes, but not always...it seems like when more than a few photos are re-published, and especially if those photos are not contiguous in the gallery and/or some number of the uploads timeout and fail (which happens nearly all the time), the re-published photos get renumbered starting from 1, completely borking the SM gallery sequencing. I'm not willing to manually re-arrange them, so the only solution I've found when this occurs is to wipe out the gallery and re-upload everything again.

...but because there are always some number of timeouts, and when I try to upload the timed-out files again they often have the issue described above, frequently I'm having to wipe out and re-upload the whole gallery multiple times before everything is finally in the right order. I did see issues similar to this described earlier in the thread, but I haven't heard anything about them for a while, and couldn't find a fix for them. If there isn't one I'll go back to my old workflow, as this has already wasted too much time.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
sb

sameerhere
Oct-23-2010, 09:24 AM
I have thousands of photos already on smugmug. I am now using lightroom and smugmug plugin. Can i mark lightroom photos as already published using your plugin ? If i dont, then smugmug publish plugin will republish them to smugmug creating duplicates.

jdorseydesign
Oct-25-2010, 02:54 PM
So, I noticed that the smugmug publish feature doesn't have an option for output sharpening.... the publish to hard drive function has this.... Am I missing something?

DBR
Oct-26-2010, 08:03 PM
There's a release candidate for LR3.3, and its release notes do not mention anything about any updates to the SmugMug plugin.

Again - what are plans for updates? How will they be distributed?
Are there plans to distribute an update?

DBR
Oct-27-2010, 07:05 AM
I'm using the new LR3.3RC1, and ran into a problem. I could not create a new gallery, so I tried using the Publishing Manager, and sync'ing my hierarchy. It failed, showing a dialog box that says "Your SmugMug access token for Adobe Lightroom has been revoked."

What does this mean, and how can I fix it?

Thanks,

David

DBR
Oct-27-2010, 07:38 AM
I'm using the new LR3.3RC1, and ran into a problem. I could not create a new gallery, so I tried using the Publishing Manager, and sync'ing my hierarchy. It failed, showing a dialog box that says "Your SmugMug access token for Adobe Lightroom has been revoked."

What does this mean, and how can I fix it?

Thanks,

David

I still don't know what caused this, but it can be fixed as follows. Go to your Control Panel, and revoke the permissions for the LR application. Then, go back to LR, and re-authenticate.

dbr

MrDee
Oct-28-2010, 04:37 AM
Hi

I am renaming images via the SM Publish plugin in LR3.2 (in order for them to display in the order I want via SM's gallery preferences). I do it this way as some images are manually scanned and hence don't always have accurate date/time in the metadata from a digital camera.

I notice that there does not appear to be a way to have the plugin retain the auto-incrementing integer it last used, and start incrementing from there when publishing again to the same gallery. Is this my fault or is it the way it works? I have to manually remember to provide the number into the plugin settings after looking it up via the SM gallery on my site. I often forget and this messes the gallery up.

Thanks for any assistance in advance.

DonRicklin
Oct-28-2010, 05:02 AM
Hi

I am renaming images via the SM Publish plugin in LR3.2 (in order for them to display in the order I want via SM's gallery preferences). I do it this way as some images are manually scanned and hence don't always have accurate date/time in the metadata from a digital camera.

I notice that there does not appear to be a way to have the plugin retain the auto-incrementing integer it last used, and start incrementing from there when publishing again to the same gallery. Is this my fault or is it the way it works? I have to manually remember to provide the number into the plugin settings after looking it up via the SM gallery on my site. I often forget and this messes the gallery up.

Thanks for any assistance in advance.THis is an issue across the board with LR Exports/Publish/Rename (AFAIK) which many have asked to be addressed. Have not seen it yet.

Don

MrDee
Oct-28-2010, 07:12 AM
THis is an issue across the board with LR Exports/Publish/Rename (AFAIK) which many have asked to be addressed. Have not seen it yet.

Don

Thanks for the quick reply Don. ...hard to believe that such a basic functionality gap is in a product which already got to v3.2

I read this whole thread thinking it must have been related to the SM plugin. Anyway, someone above wrote that LR3.3 RC1 is out, and I wondered if this issue was fixed?

r9jackson
Nov-02-2010, 10:34 AM
I have been searching through this thread and can't seem to find an answer, but then I might not understand the terminology.
I have used the Publish to SmugMug feature and somehow got double the amount of items listed. I need to be able to reset the publish number to zero so that it will NOT republish. I think it had to do with me renaming the images.
My end goal is to be able to have a copyrighted image online (so that downloads have a copyright on them) and to be able to replace it, when they purchase a print, with a non-copyrighted version.
People on this thread seem to know what you are doing.

BradfordBenn
Nov-02-2010, 10:31 PM
I am not an expert, but I think that the renaming of the files is what caused the change. I think that not changing the name would solve your issue, as my understanding is that is the way that the plugin lines up the too images. Have you tried doing a Sync? I am not sure if it will fix it, but it couldn't hurt.

vandrv
Nov-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I have a question about this plugin that I haven't seen answered here. I upload my photos to Smugmug at a fairly low resolution, and with minimal post processing, just so I can get them online quickly. As photos are sold, I go back and do any final retouching and upload a high resolution version to print. I was wondering how to do this using the publish service. If I modify the photo in Lightroom , will it then republish it as the printable version? Or is there a better way to go about this. Thanks
Joe

BradfordBenn
Nov-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Some of this is achievable in Lightroom if I understand what you are asking to do, and some of it is done on SmugMug. The only step I am getting a little puzzled on is the different resolutions. In SmugMug you can set the largest viewable size for the gallery <http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-storage> so that the image displayed is smaller sized. Then when they order the image, you can fully process and republish that image and even though it is displayed at the smaller size, the print will be from the processed image you uploaded. I would also recommend putting in the Print Delay feature to allow yourself time to do this task.

I would not recommend changing the resolution and quality each time you want to do something in the LR Plugin as that will prompt you to republish everything with the new settings.

Hope that helps.

gregt1310
Nov-06-2010, 11:03 AM
There are several folks who have asked the question regarding applying Quick Settings and getting the following error:
An internal error has occurred: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil).

Haven't seen an answer as of yet.

Anyone know of a fix to this issue?

Thanks.

kidego32
Nov-06-2010, 04:12 PM
There are several folks who have asked the question regarding applying Quick Settings and getting the following error:
An internal error has occurred: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil).

Thanks.

I'm having the same problem. I've been in touch with the help desk through email. They sent me a beta of the publish plugin to try, but I haven't been able to install it. It just won't install! At this point I've given up. Tired of the back and forth.

MarkW
Nov-17-2010, 04:29 AM

Thanks.

I was getting this error when applying quick settings and I finally found a fix for me. I read on several sites it may be metadata issues so I went to Edit Settings on Smugmug publishing and checked minimize embedded metadata. Next I re-synced and saved the changes. I created a new test gallery and applied quick settings successfully with no error! I don't necessarily want to strip metadata from my images but if it will fix the problem for now I'll live with it for now. You may want to try this out and I hope it works for you all as well.

devbobo
Nov-18-2010, 07:02 PM

Thanks.

Contact the helpdesk, they will email you a new version to try.

devbobo
Nov-18-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm having the same problem. I've been in touch with the help desk through email. They sent me a beta of the publish plugin to try, but I haven't been able to install it. It just won't install! At this point I've given up. Tired of the back and forth.

What happens when you try to install it ?

devbobo
Nov-18-2010, 07:07 PM
I still don't know what caused this, but it can be fixed as follows. Go to your Control Panel, and revoke the permissions for the LR application. Then, go back to LR, and re-authenticate.

dbr

it was a caused by a short lived api bug :thumb

Jeremy Hall
Nov-19-2010, 08:52 AM
I came to this thread to explain what I think I happening in a watermark bug when using Quick Settings. I have one called "Preview (watermarked)" that limits file size and places my preferred custom watermark setting. When I create a new collection/gallery in the LR plugin, the main dialog box allows me to choose my quick setting & generates the gallery. I upload a photo and it contains the default centered word "photo" SM watermark.

Upon further research, when I create a new gallery, go to the Advanced Settings and choose my quick setting, it is in fact turning on the watermark checkbox, but not selecting my custom watermark from the drop menu. When I manually select the custom watermark from the drop menu the gallery works as intended.

Thought I'd pass this along in case this specific behavior from the simple setup view was not already identified. Love the plug-in. Thanks!

P.S. Looking forward to sort order syncing in future releases as has been described in this thread. Especially when republishing changes it would be most helpful if photos stayed identified what is online, even if the numerical position has changed in the sort order.

EDIT: Also found another unusual watermark behavior. When I republish/update an image to a gallery that uses a custom watermark, the watermark is sized incorrectly. On initial publish it is correct, but when republishing it is much smaller.

Taoman
Nov-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Hello
Something I'd like to be able to manage with this nice plug-in is about the virtual photos.
Do you think it would be possible to identify a mechanism in LR to publish virtual copies if a photo is already in an another gallery ?

Actually for those photos, once they are published i'd like to see the link "see photo in the original gallery" without having to collect them manually while I'm on line.

Thanks

KFuhr
Nov-20-2010, 07:13 AM
Good morning, does anyone know if it is possible to only publish caption information to SmugMug instead of republishing the whole image(s)?

Thanks, Kevin

Haiku
Nov-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Hello
I started to publish my galleries through Lightroom. I had two quick settings that I used before Lightroom plugin and then made a couple of more.

Problem is that any new quick settings I make, they dont work in Lightroom, only the old ones do.

When I try to apply new quick setting I get this message : An internal error has occurred: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)

What could be the problem?

Thank you

devbobo
Nov-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Good morning, does anyone know if it is possible to only publish caption information to SmugMug instead of republishing the whole image(s)?

Thanks, Kevin

Kevin,

Unfortunately, that is a limitation of Lightroom's SDK.

Cheers,

David

devbobo
Nov-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Hello
I started to publish my galleries through Lightroom. I had two quick settings that I used before Lightroom plugin and then made a couple of more.

Problem is that any new quick settings I make, they dont work in Lightroom, only the old ones do.

When I try to apply new quick setting I get this message : An internal error has occurred: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)

What could be the problem?

Thank you

Email the helpdesk, they will hook you up with a new version.

Cheers,

David

Haigh
Nov-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Any news on the release of the sync capabilities?

Hate to see empty collections on Lightroom for galleries which are full of images on Smugmug.
Love the ability to see comments on Lightroom and want that for old galleries too.

Congratulations on the smooth implementation of creating new galleries directly on Lightroom. Beats the site interface any day!!!!!

Cheers
Robert

DBR
Dec-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Is there a way to create new categories and subcategories with this plugin? If not, I'd like to request that as a new feature.

Thanks!

David

DBR
Dec-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Oops! Found it. Right-click on the service header, and select Create Category. Don't know why I missed it before...

dbr

Is there a way to create new categories and subcategories with this plugin? If not, I'd like to request that as a new feature.

Thanks!

David

drode
Dec-09-2010, 05:51 AM
My basic workflow for sports is to import the RAW images into Lightroom immediately following a game, do some mostly automated processing and upload the keepers to my site. Then, over the next couple of days do some additional processing to the best images from that game (or by request for prints).

The original copies are RAW/Adobe dng files but the re-processed images are going to be separate psd or tiff files. Once uploaded to my site, they're all obviously jpgs.

I can easily enough update the original dng and replace it on the site bit I can find no way to replace the original with the version edited in photoshop. If I delete the dng version and then upload the psd in it's place, all the links become invalid. Having permanent links for email, social media, etc. is critical.

Is there any way to replace the original with a new version?

kennedmh
Dec-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Hi there,

Is there any word on whether or not the ability to sharpen photos in the plug-in has been added in LR 3.3? If not, is it still coming?

Thanks!

MileHighAko
Dec-11-2010, 04:19 PM
I am hoping that the updates to the plugin will be more frequent than the updates to LR, and that video support will be enabled soon.

Thought I'd add to the requests for video support. Love the LR3 integration with SmugMug, but having to separately upload my videos is a drag. :) Not sure if this is on the to-do list still or not, but seems like I am starting to take more video mixed with stills with my D7000 so would like to have this support.

Thanks. :thumb

stenp
Dec-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Hi. I publish to SM via Hard Drive publishing services and then upload to SM. Is there any way to copy these to new SM publish services within Lightroom? I don't want to retype every gallery name and the whole structure and then copy more than 10000 virtual copies. I tried to dragdropcopy the published folder sets and folders but that does not work. Any idea, anyone ?

Sten

Old Dog
Dec-27-2010, 03:59 PM
I tried to register for the Adobe discount but Adobe gave an error message that the Association name (cspartners) was invalid.
Am I missing something?

Mattoxaz
Dec-28-2010, 06:07 AM
I get this error about half of the time trying to publish new gallerys. It eventually lets me publish them. Any idea of what this error is, so that I can avoid it in the future?

Error: An internal error has occurred: ?:0: attempt to index field '_dataChanges' (a nil value)

Thanks

Rob Mattox

BradfordBenn
Dec-28-2010, 01:42 PM
I get this error about half of the time trying to publish new gallerys. It eventually lets me publish them. Any idea of what this error is, so that I can avoid it in the future?

Error: An internal error has occurred: ?:0: attempt to index field '_dataChanges' (a nil value)

Thanks

Rob Mattox

Is it when you are publishing them or creating them?

Mattoxaz
Dec-29-2010, 05:38 AM
Is it when you are publishing them or creating them?

It is when I am trying to Publish them.

BradfordBenn
Dec-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Sorry different error from what I was having.

billwitte
Dec-30-2010, 11:53 AM

Cheers,

David

I am getting lots of seemingly random timeout errors, as well as images that fail to upload without any specific error message. In my case, I might successfully upload 30-40 images, and have 2 fail. Repeated attempts to publish the failed images are unsuccessful. No apparent pattern to which images fail.

Based on the timing of this post (back in October) is it safe to assume the fix would be out now? I started using the plugin roughly 2 weeks ago, with the version included in Lightroom 3.3, released final version.

On a related note, is there some way to get more detail when an upload fails and there is no indication of what caused the failure?

Thanks!

Hoodahmahn
Dec-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Any update on the sync capabilities? Love LR and having SmugMug in LR, however would love if it would sync. :)

poppet
Jan-08-2011, 10:35 PM

I am running a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.6.4, using the internal display with a resolution of 1440 x 900. Using Lightroom 3.2 and experimenting with Smart Collections and Advanced Gallery Settings in Lightroom. When I did that it created a dialog box too large for my screen and I could not exit out/advance from it. The results look like this (click for larger)

http://photos.bradfordbenn.com/photos/992571463_BKEXi-S.png (http://photos.bradfordbenn.com/photos/992571463_BKEXi-XL.png)

2) Launch LR3.2
5) Save settings
6) Right Click (there might be another way but this is how I got there) on the SmugMug Publish Service in the left hand pane. Select "Create Smart Gallery"

i am new to 'forums' so not acclimatized yet and maybe commenting the wrong way...?
i am using LR3 and smugmugpro and have had the same problem.. i had to keep the "show advanced gallery dialog" unchecked/turned off...

HamsterHuey
Jan-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Hi devbobo, nice work with the plugin so far. However, being new to the "Publish" feature in Lightroom as well as Smugmug, I'm not sure I understand the utility of this plugin in its current form (i.e. without being able to sync/delete images on smugmug). I used the publish feature to publish some images online, but when I found some mistakes in the captioning, I re-edited the images in Lightroom with the correct caption and hit publish again (they showed up correctly on Lightroom3 as needing an update). However, after it finished, I noticed that now I had 2 copies of the image on smugmug, one being the old incorrect one and the other the correct one.

If this is how it works at the moment, then apart from being a simple way of pushing images to smugmug via lightroom, I don't see what this plugin offers. I'm probably missing something, but if it makes duplicate copies of images everytime I change something, then that is obviously not very useful. Could someone please clarify if my experience is not the norm and if I'm missing something?

In any case, I wish you the best with the plugin and I hope that a more robust version that supports image syncing is made available at some point in the future.

drode
Jan-20-2011, 06:25 PM
After having one problem fixed (in minutes) today, I'm feeling lucky so I'll try for two.

The lightroom publish service make my workflow so much simpler and so much faster I don't know how I got anything done before. However, there are a couple of real issues. First is creating a new gallery and applying a quick setting. I use the same quick setting for nearly every gallery. However, I noticed that a few things are wrong every time. The watermark defaults to "default" rather than the on in the quick setting, back printing is always blank, so I have to type it in every time as well. If I create a gallery using he SmugMug interface, both properties are set correctly.

Bug? Undocumented feature? User Error?

It's a small thing but it matters. By working on the small things, I've cut the time it takes to process and upload game photos in half.

BradfordBenn
Jan-20-2011, 06:28 PM
The watermark defaults to "default" rather than the on in the quick setting, ... If I create a gallery using the SmugMug interface, both properties are set correctly.

Bug? Undocumented feature? User Error?

I don't have back printing in my settings, but the watermark issue I have as well. So I think bug.

jhelms
Jan-20-2011, 07:27 PM
I don't have back printing in my settings, but the watermark issue I have as well. So I think bug.

Same thing on the watermark issue.

Rhuarc
Jan-31-2011, 07:59 PM
I have been using the Smugmug Publish plugin for Lightroom for awhile using the JPEG Preset for 90 and it has worked great. The problem is that now I have 1 image that is much larger that exceeds the 24MB file limitation. Normally the Publish will convert my image from TIFF to JPEG, which is fine, but this time even at JPEG 90 the image is still larger than what it can upload. My question is, how can I get Lightroom to limit the file size for this image only on the Publish? Another option would be to create a JPEG copy of the image for export and stack it in LR. But when I Edit In CS5, and Save As, the edited JPEG version does not get reimprted back into the LR catalog.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Chris02
Feb-01-2011, 03:35 AM
Hi there,

I am using LR 3.3 to set up new categories in SM and upload pictures fine, but the problems start if I want to add another picture to the same cat at a later date. LR displays the additional picture to publish but insist on wanting to update all of the previously uploaded pictures as well (even though they have not been modified).

I have tried a mixture of setting - un-ticking the LR keyword hierarchy etc etc but always the same issue LR wants to modify all of the existing pictures.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

C

Prairiemaiden
Feb-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Here is what I am trying to do in the Light room Publish module:

I want to upload photos from light room 3 to a portrait gallery on my website in a size large enough to print larger than 11 x 16 so I may set up a picture package for my client to order from.

Here is what I did thinking this would work:

I made a collection with all the photo's I wanted to be added to the gallery and arranged them in the collection. I then setup the Publish Service Smug Mug settings to show advanced gallery dialog and sync hierarchy. I set the file renaming to custom settings and to rename starting at filename_001-filename_125. I set the file to jpeg 100 quality, resize to fit long edge 1800 pixels. I would have liked to had the option to convert these to srgb in lightroom before uploading as the SmugMug help file stated it would speed up the upload process but it was not an option in the publish dialog. Did not click any meta data or keyword dialog boxes.

Here is what did and did not happen:

The gallery of 125 photos started to upload and all looked good, except it was taking forever, then I checked the upload log and it was generating errors all over the place. Here is one example:
http://cdn.smugmug.com/img/cart/alert_icon.gif Wrong bytes received.
Was your connection interrupted? Please try again, and contact a hero (http://smugmug.com/help/emailreal) if the problem persists.

I went in and hit the publish again thinking it would republish the files that had an error. It did republish some of them, but I still had errors. So I repeated the procedure. Went in to my gallery to arrange it and noticed files were still missing. Noticed the files that did upload were all renumbered starting at 001. I have a huge mess. Thinking I should have used the republish option? Am I right?

The problem persisted and I contacted a hero, He asked me what virus protection I was using and if I was on a wireless connection. I am on dsl connection and I am using Windows Security Essentials. He also asked me to try using the simple html uploader. I paid for a pro account I feel I should be able to use the features offered by your service.

What would the optimal publish settings be to get photos to your gallery for uploading, fast with out errors and in srgb?

Any Information or links directing me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

nancycuppyphotography.com

BradfordBenn
Feb-04-2011, 05:03 PM
... I then setup the Publish Service Smug Mug settings to show advanced gallery dialog and sync hierarchy. I set the file renaming to custom settings and to rename starting at filename_001-filename_125. I set the file to jpeg 100 quality, resize to fit long edge 1800 pixels. [COLOR=Silver]I would have liked to had the option to convert these to srgb in lightroom before uploading as the SmugMug help file stated it would speed up the upload process but it was not an option in the publish dialog. [COLOR=Silver][COLOR=Lime][COLOR=Silver][COLOR=Lime] [COLOR=Silver]Did not click any [COLOR=Lime]meta data or keyword dialog boxes.
[COLOR=Sienna]

What happens if you just use the default settings? I have used the 92% quality (default) and not adjusted the size or names without a challenge. Also you may want to try smugmug.speedtest.net to see what your speed is. On slower connections (such as hotels with 0.33Mbps) I was getting lots of errors. Also what version of Windows are you using?

My hunch (and it is just that a hunch from my troubleshooting stuff at work) is that the reason the hero suggested using the simple uploader is to remove the chance of it being an Internet connectivity issue. Just starting to break it down to the base pieces.

Prairiemaiden
Feb-06-2011, 10:39 AM
What happens if you just use the default settings? I have used the 92% quality (default) and not adjusted the size or names without a challenge. Also you may want to try smugmug.speedtest.net to see what your speed is. On slower connections (such as hotels with 0.33Mbps) I was getting lots of errors. Also what version of Windows are you using?

My hunch (and it is just that a hunch from my troubleshooting stuff at work) is that the reason the hero suggested using the simple uploader is to remove the chance of it being an Internet connectivity issue. Just starting to break it down to the base pieces.

Hello again.

I did end up using the simple uploader, it worked but took all night to upload the photos. I did change the size to original jped 100 quality as suggested by the tech person. There were a few glitches, it allowed duplicates when I had it checked to not allow and I had to go through the gallery and delete them.

BradfordBenn
Feb-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Hmmmm I am puzzled.

sirshannon
Feb-26-2011, 01:31 PM
So far today, I have created 2 new galleries on my SmugMug site. I created both of these via the SmugMug web site.

When I open Lightroom 3 and view SmugMug under Publishing Services, these 2 new galleries do not show up. This has never happened to me before, is this a new bug?

richW
Feb-26-2011, 01:50 PM
So far today, I have created 2 new galleries on my SmugMug site. I created both of these via the SmugMug web site.

When I open Lightroom 3 and view SmugMug under Publishing Services, these 2 new galleries do not show up. This has never happened to me before, is this a new bug?Did you Sync yet?

WinsomeWorks
Feb-26-2011, 08:15 PM
I tried to read most of this thread since I'm learning to use LR 3. I was unsuccessful publishing the first time, but I'll go back again, because I'm quite sure it was something on my end I was completely goofing up on. (The link to Smug's help page on this will solve it, from what I could tell.) But anyway, I'm just curious if most of the bugs mentioned in this thread have now been worked out. One that is important to me is whether SmugMug can now capture its photo captions from our Title fields in the metadata on LR. I've always been frustrated with SmugMug's overall problem of taking its captions from the Description field in Photoshop... they should be taken from the Title field. Now there's a chance to get this working correctly if I go through LR for the publishing part-- if it's actually working that way now, at least.

And as a footnote, I sure hope in further releases of Photoshop, SmugMug will correct this, because it's quite aggravating. Or at the very least, let folks tell Smug which field to take their Title from. On every other site where I have stock, etc. though, caption is always taken from the Title field. Descriptions tend to be lengthier & I rarely want them as my caption.

juliank
Mar-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Just started the LR Smugmug publishing service. Love it.

Noticed that the upload of images is pretty good. But e.g. keyword updates later tend to be very slow. For instance I just changed keywords on 25 images in a gallery with 25 photos and it is very slow. Is this normal?

nabla
Mar-10-2011, 06:23 AM
Hi,

if I add only one keyword to a picture, this keyword, if it consists of several words, is split into these words. THis is not the case if I have several keywords.

Then another thing I like to discuss. I want to only put my best shots on smugmug with english non-hierarchical keywords. My personal pictures use non-english but hierarchical keywords, thus I cannot use the same settings. So my idea was to create for every picture I want to upload a virtual copy and change the keywords like I need for smugmug on this copy. All keywords for smumug are listed under top level keyword smugmug which is not included in the export. By doing that, however, Lightroom wants to publish the picture again and again.... Furthermore, with that approach, changes in the original file are not reflected in the virtual copy. Any idea?

freehockey
Mar-15-2011, 01:34 PM

2) Launch LR3.2
5) Save settings

I'm having the same issue my self with lightroom 3.3, but I'm running Windows 7 - did you ever get this issue fixed?

synature
Mar-15-2011, 05:45 PM
I came on smugmug long before I got lightroom, and started using Friedl's plug-in soon after I got Lightroom. But I've been using the built in publish service for about 6 months now and am very happy with everything except one detail.

Is there a way with the built in smugmug publish service to attempt to associate images on smugmug with existing LR catalog contents?

Packhorse-4
Mar-19-2011, 11:45 AM
I came on smugmug long before I got lightroom, and started using Friedl's plug-in soon after I got Lightroom. But I've been using the built in publish service for about 6 months now and am very happy with everything except one detail.

Is there a way with the built in smugmug publish service to attempt to associate images on smugmug with existing LR catalog contents?

Great Question - I'm in the same boat and I would love to know if this is possible. I've used multiple up-loaders to SmugMug over the years and I would like to have these pictures included in the LR3 Publish Service. Over the past few years I have posted thousands of photos from Lightroom to SmugMug. I know the pictures I have posted are still in place and I can manually update any of the images at any time, I just think it would be nice to have these earlier images included in the Publish Service.

Packhorse-4
Mar-19-2011, 12:10 PM
I have been using the Smugmug Publish plugin for Lightroom for awhile using the JPEG Preset for 90 and it has worked great. The problem is that now I have 1 image that is much larger that exceeds the 24MB file limitation. Normally the Publish will convert my image from TIFF to JPEG, which is fine, but this time even at JPEG 90 the image is still larger than what it can upload. My question is, how can I get Lightroom to limit the file size for this image only on the Publish? Another option would be to create a JPEG copy of the image for export and stack it in LR. But when I Edit In CS5, and Save As, the edited JPEG version does not get reimprted back into the LR catalog.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Rhuarc - what if you created another Publish folder with the specific settings you need for extremely large images? You should be able to keep your current Publish folder just as it is, and have a second publish folder for Super Size images that need to be compressed a bit more.

Alternately, you could export the image to your local hard disk and manually upload the image to the gallery you want to place it in.

An alternate to the alternate :ivar is that you could export the image to make sure it is under the 24MB limit and then import the new jpeg image into LR and publish the jpeg with the rest of your images.

bemerick
Mar-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Hey David,

Cheers,

David

Is this ever going to be added? It's a really annoying issue and has been 6 months now.

bemerick
Mar-21-2011, 11:57 AM
another issue is that I'll publish a whole folder, and not touch the images - but ones will upload and then be marked for re-publish. Sometimes 20-30 of them. This wastes my time and bandwidth, and there is no way to uncheck them for re-publish. Also no reason that they should be.

Constantly have photos fail to upload, even on my fast work connection.

oh i'm on LR 3.3, Mac OSX 10.6.6 - 8GM Ram Intel i7 with an Intel 510 Series 120GB SSD.

BradfordBenn
Mar-22-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm having the same issue my self with lightroom 3.3, but I'm running Windows 7 - did you ever get this issue fixed?

Sorry I was traveling for work and time was tight. The Heroes gave me a build that has a smaller menu for the galleries. I would recommend e-mailing the help desk directly.

SheShoots
Mar-28-2011, 11:45 AM
I kept trying to upload photos yesterday and kept getting the following error:

"Can't update this collection.

The timestamp for that request is invalid. Please ensure that your system time, date and timezone are set correctly."

I know yesterday there was some kind of problem with uploads in general at Smugmug but I believe it's supposed to have been cleared now.

I've checked my system time, date and timezone and they are all correct. Any suggestions/information?

I'm using LR3, Windows XP and a Smugmug Pro account.

jhelms
Mar-30-2011, 08:13 PM

Thanks

Rob Mattox

I'm getting this one tonight (Weds, March 30th, around midnight), did anyone ever say what this was?

devbobo
Apr-05-2011, 04:26 PM
another issue is that I'll publish a whole folder, and not touch the images - but ones will upload and then be marked for re-publish. Sometimes 20-30 of them. This wastes my time and bandwidth, and there is no way to uncheck them for re-publish. Also no reason that they should be.

Constantly have photos fail to upload, even on my fast work connection.

oh i'm on LR 3.3, Mac OSX 10.6.6 - 8GM Ram Intel i7 with an Intel 510 Series 120GB SSD.

Do you have the option 'Write Keywords as Lightroom Hierarchy' selected ? If so, that is the cause of the photos being reset to republish. It's a known LR issue that has been resolved for the next dot release.

devbobo
Apr-05-2011, 04:32 PM

2) Launch LR3.2
5) Save settings

If you have this issue, you should do the following...

1. Deselect 'Show Advanced Gallery Dialog.
2. To access the Advanced gallery dialog, select 'Advanced Settings...' from the bottom of the Quick Settings list box..which will open a new dialog over the existing one.

I should also mention, this is a limitation of the LR SDK...there is no way to make that page scrollable so everything fits.

devbobo
Apr-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Just started the LR Smugmug publishing service. Love it.

Noticed that the upload of images is pretty good. But e.g. keyword updates later tend to be very slow. For instance I just changed keywords on 25 images in a gallery with 25 photos and it is very slow. Is this normal?

Unfortunately, due to the way Adobe has implemented the Publish framework (which sits on top of the existing Export framework), at the point that the file actually gets uploaded, there is no way to determine why it's being uploaded...whether the user has only modified metadata or physically altered the image. So given that, we have to reupload the image.

As soon as I have some alternative, I'll implement it.

Cheers,

David

pgman
Apr-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Hi

I have configure LR3.3 to publish to smugmug into the appropriate gallery. 2 photos got timed-out, so LR3.3 shows New Photos to publish: 2, but it also shows: Modified photos to re-publish: 51.

The problem is with the modified photos to re-publish. They were already uploaded this afternoon, they are already in my galleries.

So by clicking on the publish, it's trying again to to re-push everything because 2 photos in the batch did not upload.

1. How can I fix that?
2. Is there a better way?

Thanks

Next day:

Now Lightroom shows 53 photos that need to be republished.

Somehow the publish doesn't know that everything has been transferred.

Further info

When looking at the upload log it shows:

replace problem: Content-Length mismatch. ByteCount given: 12572401, received: 11871260

filename: reifel-20110402-3157.jpg ID: http://syv.smugmug.com/Photography/Photographers/16459567_eyhyU#1242708425_yCD6i
uploaded: 2011-04-07 00:12:31 PST, status error: Error2011

pgman
Apr-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Hi

New sm user.

I have configured LR3.3 to publish to smugmug into the appropriate gallery.
Uploaded. The gallery is at: http://photos.foto-biz.com/Photography/Photographers/16459567_eyhyU
1 error in the upload
replace problem: Content-Length mismatch. ByteCount given: 12572401, received: 11871260
filename: reifel-20110402-3157.jpg ID: http://syv.smugmug.com/Photography/Photographers/16459567_eyhyU#1242708425_yCD6i uploaded: 2011-04-07 00:12:31 PST, status error: Error2011
Now it want to re-publish all the photos in the gallery

Somehow LR3.3 doesn't recognize that the photos are already published. This has already happened twice.

Is it a bug? or is it me who hasn't configured something either in LR or on SM? or...

devbobo
Apr-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Hi

New sm user.

I have configured LR3.3 to publish to smugmug into the appropriate gallery.
Uploaded. The gallery is at: http://photos.foto-biz.com/Photography/Photographers/16459567_eyhyU
1 error in the upload
filename: reifel-20110402-3157.jpg ID: http://syv.smugmug.com/Photography/Photographers/16459567_eyhyU#1242708425_yCD6i uploaded: 2011-04-07 00:12:31 PST, status error: Error2011
Now it want to re-publish all the photos in the gallery

Somehow LR3.3 doesn't recognize that the photos are already published. This has already happened twice.

Is it a bug? or is it me who hasn't configured something either in LR or on SM? or...

Do you have the option selected 'Write Keywords as Lightroom Hierarchy' ?

If so, the behaviour that you are experiencing is a known LR issue, that their dev team tells me should be fixed in the next release.

Disabling this option will stop the undesired resetting of photos to be published. I'd like to also note that determining when a photos is required to be republished is the job of LR and not the plugin.

Cheers,

David

pgman
Apr-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Do you have the option selected 'Write Keywords as Lightroom Hierarchy' ?

If so, the behaviour that you are experiencing is a known LR issue, that their dev team tells me should be fixed in the next release.

Disabling this option will stop the undesired resetting of photos to be published. I'd like to also note that determining when a photos is required to be republished is the job of LR and not the plugin.

Yes, it's selected, Will upgrade to 3.4 asap.

Bug aside what to you suggest/recommend as the better config for SM keyword hierarchy or not (after upgrading to 3.4).

Thanks for the help.

BTW, are you an independent or working for SM? I've looked/searched and may have missed it through all the threads. Somebody should aggregate all that info in the wiki.

pgman
Apr-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Hi

I have configure LR3.3 to publish to smugmug into the appropriate gallery. 2 photos got timed-out, so LR3.3 shows New Photos to publish: 2, but it also shows: Modified photos to re-publish: 51.

The problem is with the modified photos to re-publish. They were already uploaded this afternoon, they are already in my galleries.

So by clicking on the publish, it's trying again to to re-push everything because 2 photos in the batch did not upload.

1. How can I fix that?
2. Is there a better way?

Thanks

Next day:

Now Lightroom shows 53 photos that need to be republished.

Somehow the publish doesn't know that everything has been transferred.

Further info

When looking at the upload log it shows:

filename: reifel-20110402-3157.jpg ID: http://syv.smugmug.com/Photography/Photographers/16459567_eyhyU#1242708425_yCD6i
uploaded: 2011-04-07 00:12:31 PST, status error: Error2011

The solution was to disable the keyword hierarchy.

devbobo
Apr-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Yes, it's selected, Will upgrade to 3.4 asap.

Bug aside what to you suggest/recommend as the better config for SM keyword hierarchy or not (after upgrading to 3.4).

Thanks for the help.

BTW, are you an independent or working for SM? I've looked/searched and may have missed it through all the threads. Somebody should aggregate all that info in the wiki.

Glad that was the issue :D

I'm a SmugMug developer...but I'm slack and haven't updated my dgrin footer. There is a thread (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=51634) on who the SmugMug people are.